Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 02:06 Go to next message
Just wondering what engine does the 1988 celica SX use? and where I can find more spec and parts details for this engine? is it a 3SGE or something else?

[Updated on: Mon, 09 February 2004 05:31]

Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1988 Celica SX Mon, 09 February 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup

3sge 1st gen. Lots has been written about it on these forums.. depends what questions you have I guess Smile
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1988 Celica SX Mon, 09 February 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's my friend car...it's an automatic. The engine is mis-firing.. sounds like it's running in 3 cylinder.. not much power and it keeps shaking. No white smoke, no smell.. eveything sound good to me except what I've just said.... What most likely the problem will be? Spark plug? valve spring? or headgasket(oh no..)? What can be the worth case and how much is it going to cost me fixing it up?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1988 Celica SX Mon, 09 February 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would check the spark plugs(for spark) , the leads(resistance with a voltmeter or spark) , the distributor(cap removal and inspection of points and rotor) and the engine mounts (shaking)

the condition of the plugs should tell you some stuff as well.. and if that all fails you can teake the injectors off and get them serviced, but you could just run some cleaner through to see if that helps.

but I would do that first stuff first. hope this helps ya mate
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1988 Celica SX Mon, 09 February 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks m8~ I'll have a check on those~
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1988 Celica SX Mon, 09 February 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just took it for a compression test and it has only 30% of compression...Crying or Very Sad 1 of the cylinder is gone and the rest are buring oil.. the machinic suggests me to swap the engine or to rebuild it... what do you rekon? Are all the 1986-1989 celica using 1st gen 3sge? May need to find one to swap in... how much does it usually cost for a 3SGE?

[Updated on: Mon, 09 February 2004 04:50]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i blew my engine about 18 months ago the mech said that a simple swap would be about $2k, engine being about $750 of that and other bits like oil adding up to about $100. But that doesn't garentee that that engine will last too long, best if u get an engine from somewhere that u see if u can get a garentee of some kind.
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thx. I've just bought a crashed celica to have the swap. the engine still runs well... hopefully will get it done during the week
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if u do the job ur self all it should cost u now is the oil, and time.
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um... the guy said he might not sell it as his gf wants to fix it and use it. anyway... do you think it's worth rebuilding the damaged one at all? No idea why but there's no 3SGE for sale now.. @@"
Phrozen_Death
Regular

October 2002
Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i blew my motor, i just rang around the import places and picked up a second hand one that "they said had low km's", but there is no guarantee as i found it the cheaper way out, and it it very easy to swap over and just remember to chuck new seals in it before you put it back in
i have a spare motor here but i wouldnt sell it to any one without saying its starting to blow smoke

depending whats wrong with it it may be easy to fix it.
low compression may just mean a H/G, or cracked rings but i think it would be blowing a bit of smoke if it were the rings ?

and its not blowing smoke or using oil ?
is it using water at all ?
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your advise and it's not making smoke and smell.. but it does eat oil... how much should it be charged to do a rebuild in a shop? How much are you thinking of selling yours? and what is it need to be done to fix yours?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally when my motors fries itself I will not bother to fix it I don't think

I would sooner spend the dosh on a newer gen 2 or 3 3sge and whack it in.

that is for me anyway

If you wanna do it yourself that is. if you are going the workshop route I would source a new engine yourself and get them to drop it in. Dpending on the damage though a rebuild is probably your cheapest way out ifyou are going the workshop route

my thoughts anyway. have had no experience really in this area. I do everything myself Smile
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Mon, 09 February 2004 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The shop is charging $2500 for a rebuild... do you think it's resonable?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Tue, 10 February 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The shop is charging $2500 for a rebuild... do you think it's resonable?

no I don't

can you get some other quotes? But honestly, if you bought a nice gen 2 or 3 or a newish gen 1 I imagine prices would be between 750 and 1300 for the engine.

Maybe ask them how much they would charge to bolt in a new engine.. using existing loom gbox etc..

that may work out cheaper.. I dunno.. and you would have lots of spare parts! Very Happy
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Tue, 10 February 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who should I contact for a new engine without the computer and loom etc..? the same shop that does the swap/rebuild?
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Tue, 10 February 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for everyone who's helped. I've finally found a crashed celica (the car's still running well) and bought the engine off for $500. Now have to get a shop to pull the engine out from that crashed car and then fit that in mine... the labour might cost more than the engine though...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Tue, 10 February 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet dude, you can't do it yourself? at least pull it out???
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: URGENT HELP!! 1988 Celica SX sorry but gotta get it done in a week Tue, 10 February 2004 04:09 Go to previous message
I haven't got the tools(engine hoist..etc) m8... even so.. I need someone to toll it to the workshop as I don't have a toll bar or a trailer... Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rust in a RA28 - how to fix it?
Next Topic:1st gen 3SGE rebuild
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:18:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050649642944336 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.