Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Sprinter 1G-FE conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rick86
Occasional Poster

February 2004
icon5.gif  Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 05:29 Go to next message
I was wondering if anyone has installed a 1G-FE (IS200) with 6-speed g/box into an AE86.

And before everyone asks me why I wouldn't do a 4AGE conversion, the IS200 6-speed box is fantastic, the extra torque from the straight 6 in a lightweight car will perform well. I don't really want loads of wheel-spinning KW's as I'd probably just loose my license. Sad

Can it be done? Does anyone know the problems that will be encountered?

Thanks Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent seen one done, but there is a supercharger kit for the 1GFE from TRD. Stock it puts out 114kw. With the SC 150.

Anyways, free plug lol, I have my stock engine and box up for grabs from my 99 IS200!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People have put 1G's into AE86 engine bays so it can be done, but it's a difficult job and in this case (boring atmo 1G-FE) it's almost certainly not worth the pain.

If you want a 2 litre engine and a 6-speed box, grab an Altezza front cut which has a more powerful 2 litre engine (BEAMS 3S-GE 210hp) and the same 6-speed box. Several people have done this conversion including the esteemed Bill Sherwood, and from what I've read it's a Very Good Thing.
rick86
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, the 3S-GE conversion does sound more appealing. Is it an easier conversion?

I'm just starting to plan my project so I'm just working out my options and budget. I used to own a Sprinter years ago and always regretted selling it.

Koffee-Black, how much would you be asking for your IS200 engine & g/box, just out of curiosity, I'm still a few months away from getting started.

Thanks.

Rick.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GE conversion is definitely easier since it physically fits between the firewall and radiator! There's still a fair bit of work involved but it would be a better result in the end. The 3S also has the advantage of being shorter and lighter which is good news for weight distribution and balance.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, the BEAMS dual VVTi 3SGE that Bill has recently 'slotted' into his Sprinter wasn't exactly a straight forward conversion. It necessitated a custom pedal box (the plenum fouled the master cylinder and possibly even the booster), there was a bit of mucking around with the rack so that the sump would clear it. I think there were a swag of other things. Also, I think he is running the 5 speed auto. Anyway, check his website or the conversion section of PF for the progress notes.

Levinracer on these forums has a dual VVTi 3SGE Sprinter that he club races - it was recently for sale. Not sure what box it ran.

The dual VVTi 3SGE 6 speed has ever so slightly a different bellhousing pattern so bolting it up to an earlier 3SGE isn't entirely straightforward either. I think the bottom bolt holes need to be moved.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No-one said it was straightforward, but I still reckon it would be easier than a 1G conversion!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ITBs, an aftermarket ECU and a dry sump might make it a bit easier! Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And cheaper too?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sadly no, but faster yes! Laughing
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Mon, 09 February 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Throttles, dry sump, etc. - if you can afford the engine/box, you can afford these Evil or Very Mad
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bills is 5 speed auto. I've heard it would be impossible to fit a 6 speed to a sprinter due to space restrictions. Can anyone say for certain?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replace "impossible" with "difficult". It's always possible to cut-and-shut the transmission tunnel if there isn't enough room!
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ick...would wanna be worth it...too much pain & $$$
rick86
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... sounds like my plan is not going to be very easy. Confused I may need to consider other options. Can you get a 20V 4AGE with a 6-Speed?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Can you get a 20V 4AGE with a 6-Speed?

Yep, but in FWD format.

With regard to the J160, the gearstick position is one gazillion miles further back than a T50.Take a look at this pic. The J160 is at the left, W58 in the middle and the T50 on the right. Compare/contrast the gearshift positions - you'll have to sit in the back seat to change gears! Very Happy
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/gearboxes%20rear.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 10 February 2004 06:04]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, that pic pretty much rules out fitting it to the XX later on, that is a rear W58 shifter housing and it's STILL miles too forward, ah well, maybe the gimmick of having a 6-speed box is not for me Smile
rick86
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked I've just been reading Bill Sherwood's website re: his 3SGE conversion. He's done some major work to get it to fit... it'll be awesome when he's finished but it's too much trouble for my liking.

Maybe I'll just buy a converted 4AGE or an import when I'm ready.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers Cool

Rick.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Tue, 10 February 2004 16:59

Compare/contrast the gearshift positions - you'll have to sit in the back seat to change gears! Very Happy

Or move the engine forward... Smile

Were the three gearboxes taken at the side-on anle? I'd really like to see how far back the shifter sits compared to the W58...

I was told it'd be further back, but I also remember thinking that it was a livable amount...
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use a sierra quaife 6 speed sequential gearbox behing a 4age i think. There are a few bellhousings about to mate up type 9 to 4age engines. It might cost a bit of money though.

Brad
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 10 February 2004 23:26

Or move the engine forward... Smile

I suppose you could, but Bill has moved the radiator forward a taddle here. Also there are the 'down below' cosiderations....
http://www.billzilla.org/ae863sgebay2.jpg
Shamelessly borrowed from http://www.billzilla.org.

Nark wrote on Tue, 10 February 2004 23:26

Were the three gearboxes taken at the side-on angle? I'd really like to see how far back the shifter sits compared to the W58...

From the front. They are roughly in line. No side shots unfortunately.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/gearboxes%20front.jpg

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn! I thought Id have troubles fitting a W58 in the IS200! How am I going to Exten the shifter, so it pokes through the original IS200 hole? (using a W58)
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy. Use the selector mechanism from a JZA80 2JZGE W58 - it moves the gearshift position further back. It's a bit fiddlesome but very do-able - look at Norbie's website to see the differences.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Tue, 10 February 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh Cool! You guys are too smart! Im just an Egg picker working for Eggbert Eggs, if you need Eggs, Im the man!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Wed, 28 September 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUMP an old topic for pretty pics Razz
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Sprinter 1G-FE conversion Wed, 28 September 2005 08:29 Go to previous message
grave digger, you should know better Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae82 4age Aircon
Next Topic:HELP - boost issues on GT4 - solved!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 22:06:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099210739135742 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.