Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Static timing on 4AGE Wed, 11 February 2004 10:27 Go to next message
Anyone know how?.... on the cheap
Prefer not to use points.

Currently, have early (black box) 2TGEU ignitor, + bosch GT40RT + reluctor pickups in bluetop dizzy.

For some odd reason, even with no weights in the dizzy (of course), and no comp controlled advance, it's advancing the timing up with revs, starting around 15, running up to 40 and beyond.

I'll try another ignitor, 2tgeu late model one.
And I'll try fitting the jaycar HEI ignitor.
I've got an ignitor sheet about toyota gear, but unfortunately I can't seem to find the 4age ignitor it talks about. (file under tech section of website).

Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: Static timing on 4AGE Thu, 12 February 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, on further inspection with help from a friend..

We've set the timing at 5 deg base, and it runs out to 20deg by about 3500rpm.
Doesn't seem to go any higher then that.

So, should be ok, not what I wanted, but other things have more priority if this continues to function as it is.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Static timing on 4AGE Thu, 12 February 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl looking at some ign graphs, its pretty normal for the G to go from....

12 .... 10 ..... 15 ..... 20 ->

at rpms,

500 .... 1000 .... 1500 .... 2000 ->8000

so 20 is pretty right.. dont worry i though it was weird too when i looked at it Confused
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: Static timing on 4AGE Thu, 12 February 2004 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm.... thanks for your reply Smile
Wuldn't that be with the standard computer controlling timing?

I have a bluetop dizzy which is locked (as per factory)... and a 2TGEU ignitor... which I thought would be locked as well.

But as for 20deg total timing, it's what a tuner of Link ECU's runs max over here... so it'll be ok.. just makes the car a little flatter and the turbo slower to spool. :/

Where did you see those graphs? online?

[Updated on: Thu, 12 February 2004 19:17]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Static timing on 4AGE Fri, 13 February 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the graphs are from a couple of aftermarket ecu sites and a couple of graphs i got with a second hand ecu, which was for a MR2 race car.

whay are you trying to use the 2tg igniter... there are a lot better and newer ones out there.

im using one that Motec reccomend which is actually a factory one off a ( your not going to believe this) Lada Niva 4WD. i run two ( staged ignition ) and they seem to work great.
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: Static timing on 4AGE Fri, 13 February 2004 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok.. cool.

I'm running a Megasquirt ECU in fuel only mode on 4age turbo.

I originally planned to use the Jaycar HEI, and then the PIT module for it. however, I haven't been able to get the HEI to work.

In an ideal world I would want a module that has:

1.) Reluctor pickup support
2.) Dwell control (static ok)
3.) Will spark when pin grounded so megasquirt can control advance.

I've looked through the motec site, saving all of the pdfs, and couldn't find an ignitor in there to suit.. though I'm bound to have missed something. Smile

Does the Lada module interface with the Motec?... or are you running the motec in fuel only mode?
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: Static timing on 4AGE Sun, 15 February 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changed the wires over yesterday morning, and that was the winner. Thanks for your help.
It now revs right out, and spark is pretty strong.
Pity about the horribly rich fuel map on boost... but thankfully MS is smart and ramped up the duty by itself when needed. Smile
It's getting there anyways.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Static timing on 4AGE Sun, 15 February 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for being the guinea pig Smile i've heard rumours of that happening with wires reversed but never heard of actual experience with this... will keep in mind in future Wink

Cya, Stewart
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Static timing on 4AGE Tue, 17 February 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for the delayed reply.. ive been away, glad you figured it out though. yeah I heard you were using MS, Stu was keeping me up to date with some of the stuff going on there plus what i was reading on the MS mail list.

so you used the @TG ignitor or did you change to something else?
tortfeaser
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Static timing on 4AGE Fri, 30 July 2004 03:53 Go to previous message
Brought this thread back to life to see if there were updates.

Anyone know of an ignitor that does dwell control with reluctor interface available locally? I know the GM 7 pin one does, but I think that's only available in US cars.

I'm doing the same conversion as Karl - Megasquirt into NA 4AGE. (But running Megasquirt 'n Spark code.)

BTW, I think the Lada ignitor is the Bosch 008 ignitor (does dwell). The Bosch 124 has no dwell control.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 lsd fit into ta22 t series diff?
Next Topic:20V silver top problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:53:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059089660644531 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.