Toymods » General Car Talk » Interesting read in relation to speed cameras

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Tue, 03 February 2004 07:14 Go to next message
http://www.roadsense.com.au/opinion.html

tis a good read and might be useful at some point Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Tue, 03 February 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very very interesting and good
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Tue, 03 February 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of retard puts text on top of a bright green background?!

ARGH!! Me eyes!
rockguru
Regular

April 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Tue, 03 February 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a great read. Thanks very much for that information. Is anybody going to use any of this info??
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Tue, 03 February 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 20:07

ARGH!! Me eyes!

The Goggles do nothing!

[Updated on: Tue, 03 February 2004 09:17]

Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Tue, 03 February 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry bout the page. i was more interested in the content Smile

the mobile speed camera thing would probably come in quite handy, especially in regards to the brisbane/gold coast stretch of the pacific highway

and i always thought that slow drivers were more of a danger than speeding ones
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Tue, 03 February 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some good points
some really poor ones too, and whoever wrote it skipped over large chunks of information, which I can pick up on just by reading waht *isn't* said
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Wed, 04 February 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven - such as? Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Wed, 04 February 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couldnt be assed reading the whole thing...

but the Less time on the road section is severely flawed
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Wed, 04 February 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so he's not perfect... there are still some pretty interesting ideas there I reckon
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Wed, 04 February 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
less time on the road has the biggest holes.

also the bit on racetrack driving.. maybe it's the fact that all racetrack drivers are in the top 1% of drivers has something to do with the fact that tehre aren't many crashes.

I didn't read the whole thing either
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Wed, 04 February 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 20:07

What kind of retard puts text on top of a bright green background?!

ARGH!! Me eyes!

dargh cant see - im colour blind Surprised
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Wed, 04 February 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloody whingers.
i changed it.. you should be able to read it now

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~soopfly/Argument%2 0against%20Speed%20Cameras%20as%20well%20as%20Solu tions-nice.htm
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Wed, 04 February 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, good read.
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Thu, 12 February 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to be difficult.
While reading the article an inconsistency in the data occurred to me. It claim that only 2% of accidents occur above the speed limit while 98% occur below the speed limit; has this been averaged out by the amount of people driving over the speed limit compared to the proportion of people driving below the speed limit. Sure it sounds good to say only 2 out of a 100 (hypothetically speaking) road fatalities occurred above the speed limit (thus 2%), but say from 100 drivers only 10 of those drivers drive above the speed limit that would make it statistically 2 out of 10 or 20% of fatalities occurred at speeds above the limit.

Another point to consider (for the fore side) is that when travelling at higher speeds the concentration required to manoeuvrer through traffic is much greater. Think how many times you see some one driving at the speed limit (or less) that is not concentrating (reaching for the mobile phone or changing the volume on the radio) now think back to the people who are weaving in and out of traffic; what are they doing? Concentrating on the road and their driving. The perception of danger is lessened according to the speed the car is travelling - the slower you go the less danger you are in, therefore the less concentration you supposedly require. (I must add a reference and thanks to Hot 4s magazine for this point as they published an editorial on the subject in the last few months. Not sure on the issue number but can dig it up for accuracy sake).

Living in Canberra I can give a feedback to some of the points mentioned about intersections and keeping left. With red light/speed camera's at intersection, this does (from my perception) decrease the incidents of 'beating the lights'. People are more inclined to stop for an orange light than to try and run the red light and potentially cause an accident just to avoid getting a ticket. Unfortunately we do have lots of signs here that do state 'Keep Left' but the signs must be equipped with cloaking technology as so many drivers pay little heed to these signs and sit within the right lane and do speeds less than the posted limit.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Fri, 13 February 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 04 February 2004 12:36

also the bit on racetrack driving.. maybe it's the fact that all racetrack drivers are in the top 1% of drivers has something to do with the fact that tehre aren't many crashes.

This stat can't be true!................ Rolling Eyes
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Fri, 13 February 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh or the fact that race track drivers number less than 1% of the drivers on the road Confused
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Interesting read in relation to speed cameras Fri, 13 February 2004 13:29 Go to previous message
Quote:

The Police can now confiscate a car for relatively minor offences. No wonder we have one of the worlds highest male youth suicide rates.

yep...i'm sure that's it... Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New Bumper Help
Next Topic:Number Plate blot out
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:05:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004453182220459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.