Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
teq-
Occasional Poster

August 2003
1JZGTE Cheap turbo upgrade Fri, 13 February 2004 00:22 Go to next message
are there any turbos that will improve performance for a 1jz, while not costing an arm and a leg to modify the intake/cooler piping too much?
  Send a private message to this user    
teq-
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Cheap turbo upgrade Fri, 13 February 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't really word that correctly.

"are there any turbos that will out perform the stock 12a's" and wont require too much modding to the intake.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE Cheap turbo upgrade Fri, 13 February 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put simply, no
It all depends on your idea of "an arm and a leg" I guess - but most (all?) turbo upgrades will need new intake plumbing, y-pipe, and mounting manifold.

Which in itself isn't a bad thing, considering the restrictions of the y-pipe and inlet plumbing
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE Cheap turbo upgrade Fri, 13 February 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IF you want to keep it looking fairly stock just hiflow the stockers.

If you are really serous about keeping it looking stock but going like a cut snake then I know GCG have a package where they basicaly use two GT25 cores (so they are BB) with custom blades. Expensive though at a good 5k.

http://www.gcg.com.au/catalogue/Turbo%20Kits%20-%20Petrol/2jz-gte.jpg
oyota 1JZ & 2JZ-GTE Ball Bearing Turbo Converion Package:-

XTR2JZ-GTCON $5500.00

This is a conversion carried out to the standard set of turbochargers which bolt back onto the engine, with only the oil & water lines requiring slight modifications. The package uses Garrett GT ball bearing CHRA's.

Ouch...
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE Cheap turbo upgrade Fri, 13 February 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon there is a cheap(ish) way to replace the stockers with a bigger single turbo (actually this is Sean's idea which I am nicking!).

Essentially keep the stock exhaust maniolds but join them together with a twin-to-single manifold (home made or from turbonetics). Use a hybrid turbo - modifed RX7 Series 5 exhaust housing (big housing but with internal wastegate to reduce cost) and a T04 compressor and front cover. There's one a bit like this for sale at the moment on the forums. You'll need to redo a dump pipe, and make up new intake piping, as well as modify oil lines - much cheaper if you do it yourself.

I guess you could have a decent single turbo hanging off the side for around $1500. Then of course you'll need to have better engine management and injectors - but again you'd proably get away with an E-manage and 440cc 2jz injectors.

So essentially, you could get away with a cheap(ish) single turbo....but then there's a heap of other things to spend money on before you'll see much benefit!!

[Updated on: Fri, 13 February 2004 01:04]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Cheap turbo upgrade Fri, 13 February 2004 05:28 Go to previous message
I think you should buy those 1JZ-GTE steel wheel turbines for $1500. Apparantly they are brand new on the for sale section.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18rgu timing guide resurfacing. any1 interested
Next Topic:changing ma61 dash to sa63
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:17:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056359767913818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.