Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 00:27 Go to next message
Ok, i've tried searching but can't find anything specific to what i want to know. i bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge yesterday to put in when my 3TGTE is installed. What is the difference between a mechanical and electric gauge and can either be used on the 3T? After reading a few old posts it made me a bit worried that i won't be able to use the one i bought???? Embarassed

please explain

jake
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In regard to an Oil Pressure guage, a mechanical one has a hose running from the back of the guage to the block, which gets filled with pressurised oil. The guage directly reads this pressure.
With an electrical one, you have a oil pressure unit bolted to the side of the block, and an electrical connection between the unit, and the electrical guage.

Get me?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, understand that... so an eletrical one is better? is it ok to dash mount a mechanical one if it is filled with pressurised oil?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Electrical is better IMO, as long as you have the correct sender unit.
Having a dash mount mechanical is ok, as long as the connections are tight. But you are left with a nasty pipe running all over the engine bay and through the firewall.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks, i guess i'll just try to hide the pipe as best i can... i take it that the pipe can be t-pieced in anywhere that there is oil?
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that mechanical oil press gages were not allowed to be mounted in the car? Is this right?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only gauge i have seen is the fuel pressure that say they cannot be mounted inside the car although i may be wrong?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is correct, you are not allowed fuel inside the cabin of a car.
And Minis and MGs come factory with mechanical oil guages, as do a lot of 60s and 70s Fords/Holdens/Chevs I would assume
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so to sum it up i havn't made some silly newbie mistake and bought something completely and utterly crap that won't work and is unsafe? It will do the job fine in a budget non rice non 29834987324834 dollar car built on a student budget?

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you toymods Cool
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i prefer mechanical... far better resolution, and more responsive imho.

and dont stress about whether itll fit your engine. as long as you have some threaded fitting into the oil gallery, it can be done. just make sure no lines come close to the exhaust Smile

cheers
ed
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup, racers choice (so i hear) is mechanical.

reason being is that it has faster more acurate response (for the good gauges) wheras electric is slower....

if your oil pressure suddenly drops, you want to get off the throtle as fast as possible to limit damage to an expensive race prepped motor..

electric are easier, and can be mounted in cabin... i had thought oil coild not be mounted in cabin either?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As per Pressure & Vacuum section of autometer installation instructions....

Gauge can be mounted in-dash in a 2 5/8" diameter hole or in Auto Meter gauge mounting cups 3201 or 3202.

As per Fuel Pressure section of autometer installation instructions

I M P O R TA N T: These Fuel Pressure gauges must be mounted outside of the vehicle's interior, such as on the cowling in front of the windshield. This is required to prevent the possibility of a dangerous explosion of gas fumes in the vehicle's interior, which could result from a leaky connection between the pressure line and the gauge.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made the opposite mistake to you Boris. Bought electrical guages, and don't have enough room to fit the sensors in. Now have to get some mechanical ones.

NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the cops can still defect you for having a mech oil gauge...whats to stop oil spraying in your face if a prob develops with the gauge? i think thats the reason why oil & fuel stay outside if they are mechanical

can anyone be 100% sure of their legality?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok... does anybody know definately whether a mechanical oil pressure gauge can be placed inside the car?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Fri, 13 February 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes they can be inside the vehicle - an oil drip from a dodgy connection isn't going to catch fire without serious assistance.

it's the rice-guages on the bonnet that are illegal (imagine being hooked up on one if you're a pedestrian hit by the alleged car - then there's the visibility issues)

plus fuel-related stuff that come into the cabin (unless part of a factory fitment which is very unlikely) is a definate no. And any self-respecting engineer won't let you run long lengths of flexible EFI line under the vehicle either.

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Sat, 14 February 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your mechanical gauges will come with nylon hose and olives. oof this idea.
get some braided hose and make sure you run it thru grommets in the firewall.

personally i don't like the idea of hot oil spraying inside my car in the event of a fault - kinda like my skin.

or mount it externally?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Sat, 14 February 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even the nylon pipe with brass olive-compression fittings will not suddenly fail - unless you suddenly get massive oil pressures (e.g. double the scale on the gauge). the gauge would have to explode for you to get a face full of oil.

they'll leak eventually - but by then so will have other things under/outside the bonnet.

if you're worrying about leaking:
use teflon tape on the brass threads
rubber grommets on thru-holes and any clamps

the heat will make the nylon brittle after many years so if that worries you, get h/duty or braided hose.

externally mounted is so ghey...
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: mechanical vs electric gauges Sat, 14 February 2004 07:38 Go to previous message
one of the T.O.Gs gave me a canary for a mech oil gauge (and a few other things) in side the cabin, cos it wasnt a braided oil line, if it was there woulda been no probs.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 into a TA22
Next Topic:ke36 wagon 4age conv
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 09:34:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047440528869629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.