Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine Conversions legalities????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:00 Go to next message
Which weight is used to determine the maximum capacity of an engine conversion? is it the original Tare weight or the after conversion weight? this is in NSW of course. i know its really close to fitting a 1JZGTE into a TA22 but im not sure which weight is used.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Alain Van Ede

Drift ON!!!!! Nod
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's the weight of the original vehicle as listed by the factory. A 1JZ into a TA22 is not legal, even if it was possible (which it's not, unless you want to remove the firewall).
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its factory weight x 2.5 for forced induction and factory weight x 3 for N/A.
Thats a 2.35L forced induction or 2.82L N/A.

The TA22 factory weight is 940kg

Jamie.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do cylinders have any play in this ???
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No just weight and wether its forced induction or not. Its stupid cause you could technically put a 700hp 2L V10 F1 engine in a TA22 where a gutless 253 V8 wouldnt be allowed.

Jamie.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it count if its destroked or do they go of original capacity of the engine....it would kinda suck to have to settle for the 1g over the 1j not that the 1g is bad but a 1j is a 1j dammm it!!!!! Laughing
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The following link will be particularly useful here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/vsi06.pdf

Page three has a table with the details set-out as far as NSW is concerned. Admittedly it does seem a bit odd that you could in theory put in a 2L 700hp weapon but at least they have not just put in some HP caps, which would be hard to police - but.....

Cheers.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Tue, 13 August 2002 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MRTA22,
No, I don't think that would be stupid. I would be happy with the F1 V10 engine, but they are 3 liter I think.

I know you can easily use any engine of the same capasity of that used in your body shape, in Tasmania. You don't need it engineered, but you do need brakes of a cirtain diameter and good shocks, and a quick inspection. In my KE35, I can use any 1600cc, but not bigger. (2T was avaliable in that shape). I need 220mm brakes or something like that, heavy shocks and thats it, a quick inspection that costs $11.50. Anything more needs to be engineered.

When I go to a 3T block, that won't technicaly be legal without engineering aproval, but no one will know or care.
Barney
Regular

July 2002

Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Wed, 14 August 2002 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oi johnny in tassie how hard was it 2 fit the 2T in the rolla? i got a KE30 and i was looking at the same conversion. is it hard or can it be done at little expense. i can do most the work my self with my mates and old man that have volunteered. wat else did u need? did u use ur original gear box? i need to know as much as possible. is the 2T better than a 5K to fit compared to costs
let me know

barn
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Wed, 14 August 2002 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go here:
http://www.tassie.net.au/~jar

5K is the easiest cheapest conversion. A 2T is a slightly bigger and better motor, and much better for mods in the future. A 2TG is a real performace motor, meaning it could go hard if you do everything right, or may go like a dog till you learn stuff.

The 2T requires the gearbox from a TA22 celica.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Fri, 16 August 2002 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the figures the rta have decided upon unfairly impact our cars.
for example if you owned a LH torana you are allowed a 5.0L engine in a 1250 kg car (4.0 kg/ton) - just because the factory did it they can get away with anything - well I think if a dodgy company like holden can do it why cant I have 4.0lts per ton in my car?.
yet if you own a UC torana (very similar to LH torana but no V8 option) you can only go to 3.5lts.
how friggin bullshit are these limitations.

how did they come up with these figures?? pluck them straight out of thin air?
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Fri, 16 August 2002 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if you have a 1 tonner holden ute, or a van etc (anything full chassis) you can have any engine capacity you want. My mate has a Toyota Liteace with a brock 308 in it, and my old boss had a WB ute with a 454. Both are fully road registered!!

If you want to spend the money "full chassising" your car you can have a much larger engine. But then you have to register it as a individually constructed vehicle and comply to todays current ADR'S to have it registered.

Same as if you built a cobra replica etc. Hence why you dont see any with 429ci engines anymore.(i have seen one but it was efi converted and running mega lean). They cant get the emissions low enough. Hence why they are all almost 302ci.

Jamie.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Fri, 16 August 2002 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about legalities conserning rotaries ??

What are the limitations for rotary conversions >?? Question Idea
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Fri, 16 August 2002 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it gives the details for rotaries on that website too...
they're classed as 3x their actual litres (I think)
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Engine Conversions legalities???? Fri, 16 August 2002 16:50 Go to previous message
Rotaries are a whole different ball game again. Due to their higher power output per litre they double the size to give capacity(for turbocharged ones). For example a 12A turbo (1.2L) is considered a 2.4L engine and a 13B turbo (1.3L) a 2.6L. In a TA22 for example a 12A turbo can be used but not a 13B turbo, you can however have a 13B non turbo. Your car has to weigh at least 1050KG stock standard as in factory specs to be able to have a 13B turbo put in it.
There is a way around this by building a 12A/13B hybrid engine which still has a 12A engine number (ive been through this befre do a search for details)this is what i was going to do a couple of years back to my Celica.

Jamie.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sbyder
Next Topic:How do i check timing chain is in sync with cams?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:12:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051028728485107 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.