Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA65 water leaks!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8supra
Occasional Poster

November 2003
RA65 water leaks!! Wed, 11 February 2004 10:22 Go to next message
Every time it rains my front seatbelts get wet all the way through.
I`ve pulled apart the interior many times but can`t see where the hell the water is comming from.Even had someone on the
outside with a hose but nothing!
This is realy pissing me off.
Anyone had this problem?
any suggestions ?

cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon8.gif  Re: RA65 water leaks!! Wed, 11 February 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. I have that problem too. No idea what could be causing it though...

I thought it was a big rust spot, but I fixed the rust and the problem still persists...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Wed, 11 February 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem a few years ago - carpet would always be wet. Redid the weathsheild under the door trim, did the hose thing, still couldn't figure out. Eventually we worked it out - the windscreen seal had perished. Cleaned up the old stuff, bought some black stuff that went in a caulking gun, and used a lot of it. It fixed it.

It might be that,if your windsreen has never be replaced. Doesn't really explain seatbelts though. Could it be the seals at the top of the windows?

When it was raining hard a while back I noticed a few drips hit me on the head, but I think that might be rust or something else Confused

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 12 February 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same thing happens on my Supra, don't ask me why though. Apprently if you have a sunroof and the drainage channels are blocked that can be the cause, but I don't have a sunroof so it must be something else!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 12 February 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My RA60 does it sometimes, but there's no way apart from the rear window seal that water can get in where the front belts are.

As for the sunroof drainage blocking up, thats usually identifiable by the rear belts being wet.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 12 February 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my brief analysis of it. The seatbelt seems to get wet where the spool is...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon3.gif  Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 12 February 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rip off all the trims inside and out and pour water on the roof

get someone to sit inside to point it out to you

nothing a few hours cant solve fellas

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Sat, 14 February 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So when are you and your mate doing this for us Les? Smile

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say THANK YOU! Very Happy
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Sun, 15 February 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the RA65 is anything like my RA40 you'll find the leaks are coming from the plastic/metal central columns (the bit where the drivers window meets the rear panel window. I've been driving round in my car without any of the back trim or seats trying desperately to find where the leaks were forming and have sat in the back seat dutring a thunder storm; I saw that it was coming down from the pillar and soaking my seatbelts. I've been slack and haven't pulled the trim off to see where in the column it is coming from but will do so very soon...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: RA65 water leaks!! Sun, 15 February 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah surely its coming along those rails and into where the seat belt clip bolts onto the car chassis topside?? and then running down the belt wetting it, and running onto the floor...
V8supra
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Sun, 15 February 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm...i didn`t think anyone else would have this prob!!
I`ve pulled all my trim off too(again),so just waiting for the rain.
It looks impossible for water to leak anywhere in this area!!
Anyway, who ever is 1st to find exactly where the water gets in please
let us know
Smile
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RA65 water leaks!! Sun, 15 February 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA40's can rust down inside that column - mostly from water coming in via the plastic cover and broken window rubber seals on quarter glass.

pull inside plastic off first, gives you access to screws holding external parts, remoe outside bits without dropping nuts down inside column (or you take everthing else off).

make good any existing seals, remove crap/dust, the air-intake duct is designed to catch water and let it dribble away, if the drains are blocked it will eventually come thru holes in that panel.

when i refitted int/ext parts, i added that double-sided sticky black foam (body tape) on the bits that were designed to seal against metal - never had water thru there since (bottom of columns had signs of water/humidity (dust turned to mud then dried)
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Sun, 15 February 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Sat, 14 February 2004 11:58

So when are you and your mate doing this for us Les? Smile

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say THANK YOU! Very Happy

sure drop off your car at campbelltown and wait for a couple of years before we get it back on the road for u ! heh

ps - spraying it next weekend max ! yessss
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Sun, 15 February 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool thanks for the heads up... Is this the same for a RA65 though?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Mon, 16 February 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Sun, 15 February 2004 23:01

ps - spraying it next weekend max ! yessss

What colour?
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Digging up some threads here-

I never thought anyone would have the same problem as me- but the good old search function has proved me wrong once again.

There seems to be a bit of the same problem at CS.com, but no solutions.

You've all heard the symptoms- no sunroof, window seals fine, passenger side seatbelt wet. Saturated. Nothing else seems wet- pulled apart interior today, all window seals fine, no rust or indications of any water around the area. Its weird as.

If I or anyone else finds out, let us know!!!

Cheers guys Very Happy
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azrael wrote on Sun, 15 February 2004 22:21

If the RA65 is anything like my RA40 you'll find the leaks are coming from the plastic/metal central columns (the bit where the drivers window meets the rear panel window.

Azrael has already solved your dilema. I had the exact same issues, water was sneaking in behind the black plastic colum cover with celica supra badage on it. Straight off the roof drain and down the metal and onto the seat belt.

Good luck trying to remove one without breaking it Wink

If your sunroof is leaking only the rear seatbelts will get wet.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good luck trying to remove what without breaking it?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The black plastic covers.

TIP: Remove from the inside. Cool
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's hard about removing them?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"I reckon you can just pull this one off" Laughing
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its easy to take out, if you dont force it.
just take it gently, when it starts to come off on the outside, youll see another metal plate thing whcih bolts the plastic to the pillar. make sure you try and pull back on that, otherwise the plastic will pull on the metal plate and when the screws dont slide out easily the metal plate tears away from the plastic.

sounds like jiberish i know, but you will know what im talking about when you do it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You mean without undoing the two nuts holding it on from the back?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it should be screwed on

My ones were sikaflexed on and came off easily funnily enough. Gave it a tidy up with some por15, and epoxyed that bitch back on Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got mine off no worries

the little nuts were a pain in the arse (lack of proper tools)

but i checked it all out, cleaned the dirt out for good measure, found a tiny bit of rust that was cleaned up and siliconed

put a bit of silicone around the rubbers just in case...

but its all back together, minus one nut (fucking shit equipment, dropped it down between the body panels Mad )

and i put a bit of duct tape around the seatbelt thingie (not so it cant move though- duh Razz ) so i minimalise any water that may hit in anyway.

lets see how it goes, thanks guys Very Happy
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing no i mean after removing the screws of course. its just the studs dont slide through the pillar easily.

proper tools shmoper tools, i took a pair off today with only a pair of pliers.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 01 April 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 20:34

proper tools shmoper tools, i took a pair off today with only a pair of pliers.

i didnt even have that

couldnt be bothered walking to the shed AGAIN

bah stupid nut, didnt do shit anyway. Very Happy
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RA65 water leaks!! Fri, 02 April 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have that problem in my corona also. Its the front windscreen seal leaking and the water runs along the roof lining and out near our seatbelt. Just start sealing stuff up til its fixed.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 16 June 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
<_<_ OMFG MAJOR THREAD REVIVAL _>_>

Its me coFFchop ...

now i need some sLIGHHHTLY better instructions on how to take off the black panels/seatbelt section .. ive taken off the seal + the metal strip that runs around the window when winded up all the way

can i just Yank it off from the outside ? or is there bolts on the inside of the panel holding it on ? if so i cant see them :S

any info would help ..
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 16 June 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coFF33 wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 17:18

<_<_ OMFG MAJOR THREAD REVIVAL _>_>

Its me coFFchop ...

now i need some sLIGHHHTLY better instructions on how to take off the black panels/seatbelt section .. ive taken off the seal + the metal strip that runs around the window when winded up all the way

can i just Yank it off from the outside ? or is there bolts on the inside of the panel holding it on ? if so i cant see them :S

any info would help ..

There is two studs attached to the panel. You will need a 10mm deep socket to get the nuts off, then its as simple as pulling it off (provided there isnt any silicon sealing it)
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 16 June 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viper : are u talking about between the panel that the seatbelt is bolted to and the back of the black panel??
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 16 June 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking about the outside black panel, and have a bad feeling you want to know about the inner panel.

Inside panel:

Undo seatbelt bolt (14mm afaik), then behind the seatbelt down the bottom of the panel there is a small plastic piece that goes around the belt, not sure if that affects this, but to remove it there is a screw behind the belt. Then just pull the plastic panel off, its got a metal thingo that holds it in, bit of force will get it off. Then once thats all good, you should be able to pull of that plastic panel on the inside. Its held on with the same little metal doo-hickeys.

Hope that helps,
Cheers.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 16 June 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i mean ... where are the bolts that hold on this black outside bit - could u possably take a foto for me Viper .. if its not too hard Sad
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RA65 water leaks!! Thu, 16 June 2005 08:53 Go to previous message
The nuts that hold the black bit on are on the inside of the car, you need to remove the inside panel to access them.

I would take a photo of them, but my digicam is at work Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what turbo is this
Next Topic:1g Rattle at low idle
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:38:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069639682769775 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.