Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cams: Torque at the expense of power?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Sun, 15 February 2004 22:12 Go to next message
If a certain cam profile for a 2JZGE was to generate more low/mid range torque at the expense of top end power, would this create better gains and driveability, rather than focusing upon maximising top end power?

Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Mon, 16 February 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's really up to your definition of the terms, and what you want to get from the car. It also depends on whether you're talking about having an actual power decrease or just not getting an increase in the top end.

To me for a performance car, which I hope is the aim of the car, having the maximum possible torque and power for the entire usable band of revs should be the aim.

If you can increase the power in say the 2500-5500RPM band by 20 horse power then the car will be a lot faster than if the mid range stays standard but at 5500-6500 you have an extra 40HP. On the other hand while the first car would be faster a lot of people would enjoy the rush of the second setup, personal prefference again but if the aim is quickness the strong midrange wins every time.

Yes it is possible to setup the car to not leave the rev band where it makes good power but for drivability on the street having to leave the lights with a few thousand revs on board isn't much fun.

The aim really should be to be able to apply the largest amount of power/torque for the longest possible time. That's how to make a driveable performance car in my opinion. Now of course therer are limits to that theory, if you have a car that makes say 500Nm+ from 1000rpm up then it's going to be a bit tough for the car to be "Drivable" unless you're running slicks. That is a problem I don't see a lot of people having though.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 February 2004 02:42]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Mon, 16 February 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also - alot of the time factory engine set-ups are designed so that each component complements the other. IE - exhaust port profiles are matched to the rev range that the cam would work most efficiently at, the ecu tuning/timing is matched to the same rev range etc etc etc. So modifying just one of these components (ie the cam) may put it out of sync with the rest of the components. While this won't necessarily kill performance, it does (from a objective point of view) alter 'driveability' (which is a subjective term, I know).
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Mon, 16 February 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
304, 262 @ 0.050", 0.435" lift

Do it. You know you want to........
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Mon, 16 February 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL, nahh, get a V8 grind Very Happy

0.550 lift and 230@ 50 thou Wink mmmmm lift and low rpm torque Wink
Hack
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Wed, 18 February 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By a fluke i was looking thru Mar 02 street machine and found this bit of info in the dirty stuff column...

He has a 4 cyl NA race motor running between 5000-9500 RPM and i quote-

'Our cam drive is a duplex chain on indexing sprockets, so that the valve timing can be easily changed to impove bottom end torque or top end grunt. Advance the cam timing by 10 to 15 degrees and you pick up on mid-range acceleration. Retard by the same amount and peak developed horsepower increases.'

I think a 30 degree range in a street motor would be a little savage, but smaller changes would have a similar effect, you'd think.

IMHO i love a revy motor with a highish (6000) power peak. my car currently has a heap more mid-range grunt, and its just not as fun. esp when you go to overtake and the motors dead past 5000... I should prob add that i also have a fair gob of torque at low rpm, so its pretty easy to cruise round in to.

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Wed, 18 February 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave......perhaps i missed the 'streetable' bit

i think 272 duration will have to do
Hack
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Thu, 19 February 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uh... just thought id betta mention that you should pull out the spark plugs and wind the motor over by hand to make sure everything still misses whenever mucking round with cam timing.
pistons shutting valves is never a good thing...

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cams: Torque at the expense of power? Thu, 19 February 2004 03:01 Go to previous message
If he stays below 10mm lift he won't have an issue with interference.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:if anyone needs ecu codes
Next Topic:Ingition staying 'On'
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 18:47:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046799182891846 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.