Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 05:05 Go to next message
I just did a drive, to pick my girlfriend up from past Taree (from Sydney), 4hrs each way all highway - between 100-120kms/hr. I noticed that sometimes on the way back (after about 5hrs of driving) my car's temperature (MA70 turbo) rose a little, and sometimes rose a bit more than a little, which if I put it in neutral and coasted till the speed dropped about 10kms then went back on fixed. This would happen about every half hour, until I got onto the main streets of sydney and the traffic lights.

I was wondering is this a form of Heat Soak? The turbo is a T04E and although it wasn't in boost most of the time, it was still spinning.

I'm getting a Davies Craig thermo fan (DC31 or DC16), and installing it this weekend to see if that does anything, but was also going to get a Turbo Sock (from GCG turbos). Has anyone got one of these? Do they work? Noticably? I might pick one up on the way home tonight, if they're still open at 6pm.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a problem with your cooling system, not the turbo. The turbo is doing bugger-all when cruising on the highway, and in any case your cooling system should be more than capable of keeping the engine cool if it's in good working order.

Check the usual things - blocked radiator, shagged water pump, stuck thermostat etc.

Note that the engine fan is effectively useless by the time the car is doing 40km/h, so upgrading to electric fans isn't going to solve this problem either.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 August 2002 05:35]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am thinking of getting a Davies Craig Electric Water Pump as well. This would eliminate any problem with waterpump/thermostat, and I'd give the radiator a good flush (which I might do tonight actually) before refilling. The EWP may give me another 2kW or so as well - yay.
ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me know how you go with the EWP.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard nothing but bad things about those EWP gizmos. I wouldn't use one if you gave it to me!

Note that it's not designed to replace your engine-driven water pump, it's designed to supplement it.

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its designed to replace it, and the thermostat. Thats where the power increase comes from.

From www.daviescraig.com.au:
"This option requires the removal of the thermostat and either the mechanical pump impeller from the pump shaft, or the bypass of the water pump pulley from the belt set-up, using a shorter belt."
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well they've changed their tune on that one... when they first released this product and heaps of people complained of premature failure, their response was "it's designed to supplement the water pump, not replace it".

Maybe they've increased the lifespan of their product since then, but I still wouldn't trust the longevity of my engine to one of those things... especially when it's only going to gain you a WHOPPING 2 hp! LOL
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey pete i used to live in Taree! Did your gf go to school in Taree?

Back to the problem you have, i had the same issues with mine. Also running a T04E on mine but as norbie says it's not related. Mine overheated if i went over 105km/h. Sometimes i had to drop back to 85km/h to let it cool down then speed up again. It was the radiator, had it flushed, radiator guy says its fine and all but it really wasn't. When they get a few years on them the fins where they extrude from the runners breakdown. On the outside they appear fine but their ability to conduct heat has long gone. So i cable tied another radiator in temporarily from a cressida and drove the car to gosford. The thing ran tooooo cold!!!!

Sat under half way so i got it re-cored. Fixed.

As for the EWP and davies craig fans. Dont bother with the electric fans. They dont flow enough cfm's to cool the car. i put a 16inch on mine and it overheated constantly. Put the engine fan on and fixed it straight away.

Dont go there, totally agree with norbie.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys! we have been using a davis craig pump on the nation sport sedan with 800hp at the flywheel and it seems to be working fine so far. we did have a prob with there temp switch so just run it flat out on the track. and on the heating prob. you problem sound like a cooling problem. pull over when it happens and feel with your hand on the radiator core for hotspot.
hot spots mean a restiction. feel you inlet hose and your outlet house as if one is dead cold then you have a blockage wether coer or thermostat.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this a 7M??? My 7M started overheating on long runs but i'll just stop here for now Eye Spin
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm... that smell of headgasket coming from the overflow bottle...

Seriously, smell the overflow bottle, or check if the hose inside the bottle is swollen. If the smell is bad, or the hose is swollen, it may be time to start checking further.

You could also check the rad cap and see if there is a lot of jelly kind of stuff on it. (one more sign)

My ST165 (Previous owner) was overheating. He changed the rad.
It was fine for a few months. It started overheating again. He changed the headgasket. It was still overheating.

The leaking headgasket plugged up the new rad. Replaced the rad again. Now it is ok.
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think i would bother with an electric water pump if i was after a power increase. you may think it is taking away the drag from running off the harmonic balancer but then the load increses to the altenator and this reduces your power again. So you would have to have some super duper efficient electric motor in the water pump to make any noticeable difference. but then again if it alleviates the overheating problem it would be money well spent.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Thu, 15 August 2002 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll flush my radiator when I put the new fan in (its a DC16 for $275!) which is supposed to be the "heavy duty one" (DC quoted $385 for it).

The engine is due for a rebuild and I'm going to put a 2mm stopper MHG in when it does. Maybe changing it will help as well.

I'll get the radiator checked as well, there may be some sediment in the bottom or something like that.

I did pull over when it got hot, and couldn't feel any hot spots, the top radiator hose was slightly colder than normal, so I'll get the block flushed.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
!!!!!Dont bother with the 16 inch!!! your car will overheat straight away! Tried it already even with a brand new core and coolant with no AC condensor it still overheated. Your probably better off putting two 10inch fans on it but even then i still dont think it will help.

Trust me its not worth it. I can sell you a 16 inch fan for cheaper than you get it, but you would just want your money back when your car overheats. its a davies craig 16 inch.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the reply I got from Davies Craig when asking which I should put on my supra:

WE SUGGEST THE DC31 IF YOU HAVE 85 MM FRONT TO REAR SPACE BEHIND THE RADIATOR PART NO 0005 RRP $250 INC GST

OR IF YOU HAVE MORE ROOM AND WANT A HEAVY DUTY FAN

DC16 PART NO 0066 WHICH IS 16" ION DIAMETER AND 100 MM DEEP RRP IS $389 INC GST

I'm gonna spend the $275 (for the DC16) and give it a go. If it overheats, I'll go back to the fan on the engine, easy.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon you're wasting your money, but if you wanna do it, do ahead!

Just make sure you retain the fan shroud, as a non-shrouded fan is far less effective than a shrouded one.

Also remember, if your car is overheating at highway speeds, a fan is going to make no difference at all - there is something else wrong with your cooling system which needs to be addressed.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie is making sence there....if it was over heating just sitting still that would be one thing but on the highway copping all that air??????
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi all, no idea why your car is over heating but I don't think the electric fans are too bad.

I only have a 1GGTE in a RA28 celica and I retained the original radiator (got it flushed though) I just put on a shitty $100 super cheap auto 12" fan and it works great. The temp rises to about 1/3 on the temp guage (which is when the thermostat opens) and stays there, it only goes up a bit when I really thrash it (thrash it so much that the disc brakes burn the grass in my backyard)

It never goes up above 1/3.

Tim.

Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much plainer can it be put...

Thermofans do Jack Shit once your rolling!!!

Do you guys really think a 12 inch thermo can match 100km/h of fresh air through the entire frontal area of the core ??

There is another problem causing your overheating pete, even try a new thermostat, flush your radiator or something , but dont expect a thermo to fix oerheating on cruise.

Matt

Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the top radiator hose is colder than the rest i would say that the thermostat is buggered. they are only about 15 bucks and 2 bucks for a thermostat housing gasket. that might be a better option that buying a new thermo fan.

I also used to live near taree and i have to say its not my most favorite place on earth Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28 wrote on Fri, 16 August 2002 6:24 PM

Hi all, no idea why your car is over heating but I don't think the electric fans are too bad.

No-one's saying electric fans are bad, in fact if properly installed they work great - but the huge 10-blade clutch fan on a stock 7M-GTE is more than adequate. If the problem was overheating while idling at the lights then yes, an electric fan would probably help - but that's not the case here.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Fri, 16 August 2002 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 2 cameria fans on my MA45 and even with a cracked head/blown head gasket the fans can keep it cool!

Allan
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Sat, 17 August 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like I said in my original post I was wondering if it was heat soak. The thermo fans will not do anything at high speeds. I'm well aware of this (ie. not stupid). I'm giving it a full flush and will replace the thermostat (tomorrow).

I'm installing a thermo fan as I have wanted to (before the drive to Taree). This won't stop my car from overheating after 6 hours of highway travel.

I bought a Turbo Sock from GCG this morning - saw another Supra ToyModder there! And am going to put that on tomorrow morning (while its cold). This was what I was asking about. I'll come to my own conclusions as to how much it works I suppose.

If I ever take my car on another 9 hour trip I'll be able to test how good the flush/new thermostat is. Then I'll look into it further...

Thanks for all your help and insite!
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Sat, 17 August 2002 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take the engine fan and some spanners with you!!! Telling you it will overheat before you get 5km's up the freeway.
With the engine fan you can feel air flowing past the block right up to the turbo. When you put on the electric you can only feel air flowing through the engine bay 1foot from the radiator. So the fan also cool the whole engine not only through the coolant system.

Please tell me i'm wrong when you get back and i'll pleasantly stand corrected.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Sat, 17 August 2002 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would you use a sock instead of jet coating the exhast housing? looks better and does the same job! and i would imagine
the same price!
mick
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Sat, 17 August 2002 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For jet coating I'd have to take the turbo off yes? I couldn't be bothered changing all the gaskets etc. Maybe when I get the engine rebuilt.

And no one said that it would do the same job before this morning when I bought the damn thing (havn't put it on yet)
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Sun, 18 August 2002 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much was the sock??
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Mon, 19 August 2002 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$220 for the sock I think.

Havn't put it on, tried to last weekend but was too fiddly and couldn't get the clips up. Got pretty cut up under there too. The engine is coming out in the next month. I'll get it Jet coated and then put the sock on with it out of the car.

What should I get Jet coated?
Exhaust manifold
exhaust side Turbo Exhaust
can't get the dump pipe out of the car, so don't think I'll be coating that.

How much will all that cost and from who?
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Mon, 19 August 2002 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the exhaust manifold done, probably cost $60 at Performance coatings at Guilford. Rob out there does a top job, tell him i told you about it(Paul from Honeywell) and if you pay cash without a receipt its usually cheaper. Tell him that up front.

If you can get the exhaust housing off, id do it but's its usually too much hassle.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo "Sock" Mon, 19 August 2002 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are two thermo fans on my radiator, small ones on the passenger side. I thought that one might have something to do with the aircon, but didn't know about the other. So I checked them when the car was cold. both weren't running with or without aircon on. checked them when it was hot, both weren't running with/withought aircon on.

What are these two fans for? When should they be on? Are mine broken?

Did its little more than operating temperature again tonight on a cruize to cronulla. Only once though and put it in neutral for 10kms/hr drop and then went again.

This is after a flush (with Bars radiator flush). Didn't change the thermostat though (I know I was going to).
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo "Sock" Mon, 19 August 2002 13:49 Go to previous message
why dont you pull out the thermostat and test it in a saucepan instead of wasteing money on a new one.

Fans come on with increased in engine/computer coolant sensor temp, one on the front of air con condensor comes on with air con.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What is a "idle control valve" on the 1JZ-GTE
Next Topic:LSD for MX83
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 02:00:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057971477508545 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.