Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » High Performance Driving Course.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
High Performance Driving Course. Wed, 18 February 2004 13:29 Go to next message
Hello all... I turned 22 last week and was asked what I wanted for my birthday. Dad suggested a 1 day Driving Course thingy at Sandown Racetrack.

Has anyone done one of these? What is it like? Is it a waste of money?

It sounds cool but I have an auto Cressida and that may make it not quite as fun for me as for some of you guys with souped up machines.

Basically I am looking for opinions on whether it is a waste of $350. Confused

Thanks. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: High Performance Driving Course. Wed, 18 February 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do it dude.
You can never have too much control of your car.
It will make you a better driver furshur.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: High Performance Driving Course. Wed, 18 February 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My uncle and aunty both took one of these together. You take your own car (incase some didn't know). So in their case it was the brand new SS com work car (as at dec 2003) - they couldn't say enough of the experience. And now both have more confidence in driving, particuarly my aunty. My aunt was quite intimidated by all the younger P' platers driving hotted up cars. And when a particular test came along all the guys failed, including my Uncle in the same SS commodore - My aunty somehow managed to negotiate her way round the cones and stop in the area. Much to the dissapointment of the young guys standing around.

In short - Do it, I will when I get my front brakes upgraded.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: High Performance Driving Course. Thu, 19 February 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... I dunno still. It's a lot of money that I could spend on something else. And, the damn Cressida understeers all the time. Not much fun to drive quickly. Confused
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: High Performance Driving Course. Thu, 19 February 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it and learn to control and hopefully avoid understeerig your car

do it.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: High Performance Driving Course. Thu, 19 February 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Thu, 19 February 2004 08:47

Hmmm... I dunno still. It's a lot of money that I could spend on something else. And, the damn Cressida understeers all the time. Not much fun to drive quickly. Confused

Get more details on the course.
I can't see it being a "High Performance" course if they make you use your own cars.
I can see it being an "Advanced Driver Training" course which is a lot different to a High Performance one.
In general, High Performance courses they give you a car (I have seen courses with Monaro's, theres one with MGF's, and even one with Porsche's) and they put you through skid pans, teach you to drive sideways, tail out, and in general, like a hoon, but safely.
Where as the Advanced Driver Trainning courses focus more on getting you to behave better and react quicker in given situations (ie, flying around a corner, something steps in front of the car, you have to brake and go around it).

Either way, you will benefit greatly from doing one.

I plan to do one when I have the time/money
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: High Performance Driving Course. Thu, 19 February 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically I think this course is like the ones where you are given a car... Apparently you are instructed to heal/toe and other driving techniques that are not taught when you go for your road licence. They do timed laps around the track as well as the accident avoidance techniques. Most of the latter are covered in the prerequisite course (Defensive Driving Program) so I assume it is more focussed on the fast driving. Very Happy

I forgot to add the link initially.

Here is what I am talking about: http://www.murcott.com.au/highperf.html
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: High Performance Driving Course. Thu, 19 February 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, tough choice.
If they give you a Caterman to race in (like the one in the pics) do it do it do it.

If they make you use your own car, personally, I'd give it a miss and do the defensive driving one (if you haven't already).
It would be no fun trying to race my Cressida around a track trying to get faster and faster times, plus, I wouldn't want to put my car through that kind of punishment.

So, make a phone call, get some particulars, and make a decision.

But I see you train of thought now, spending $352 on something else may be a better way.
Like a full set of Kings lowering springs for instance, thats about $350 worth almost exactly
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: High Performance Driving Course. Thu, 19 February 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I enquired about lowering my car a couple of days ago... $350 approx. I have already done the Defensive Driving Course.

BUT, it would be fun to see what the Cressida gets up to down the back straight. Evil or Very Mad
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: High Performance Driving Course. Thu, 19 February 2004 07:18 Go to previous message
hey SIMDOG

iv done the course you are talking about, Jim Murcott one.
don't 2 actually, car control course 1, pretty boring, but it does make you think about driving on public road differently, not much driving more theory then driving.
extended driving program (level 2) was alot more fun, then wet one of the corners of the track and put to witches hats at one end, make you go 60km in to the corner and get it to through it side ways and then u gotta go through the hats at the end. done other stuff to but that was the best part Smile

as for having shitty brakes etc, i reckon its better to do it with dodgy brakes (theres nothing to really hit anyway if u go off the track) but if you can control a car with shit brakes, imagine with a good brake setup, easy! Very Happy

anyways, i say do it, like one of the others said, you can never know enough about car control i say.

re: auto, doesn't really matter, all the things that make you do is to do with braking and turning, so you don't need to accelerate quickly to do the stuff.

plus, some insurance companys like the idea and give you a littler cheaper insurance (young and cool is one of them)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Metal merchandise??
Next Topic:Monaro (Pontiac GTO) running in D1 Comp
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:59:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052111148834229 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.