Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 00:36 Go to next message
im getting a ke55/ke30 to start as a project and wanted to do a 4AGE 100kw conversion. until i get the money to do that wat can be done to a 4k/5k engine to get more power out of it? could probably spend around 1000-1500. im talking about actual engine mods, not bolt on bits like extractors and air filters. wat can be done and wat are the most responsive and how much power could we be looking at?

im thinking:

possibly boring out the engine
shaved head
upgraded cams
twin carbies/webbers

if anyone can give me some info would be great

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

could probably spend around 1000-1500

That much will prolly buy you almost everything you'll need to do the conversion.
I'd just start buying 4AGE bits, and maybe do that motor up before you put it in.

So point spending money on something you are basically gonna through away soon.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought ud be lookin at considerably more for a 4age conversion cause ill need a bigger fuel pump upgraded fuel lines ect also if i was gona do a 4age conversion id prolly want a supra w57 gearbox then id need upgraded clutch/flywheel id also need a RWD inlet manifold obviously engine mounts i know theres alot in there so yeah but how much would all that cost u reckon?
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wont do a 4AGE into your car for $1500 no matter what anyone says

for 1500 you would probably want to build up a 4k with a 3k head and throw the money into cam/head work/carbs

with that money spent on a 4k it will probably go better than the 55kw @ wheels that you will get out of a stock 4AGE

ab
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what it cost "The Witzl" to put a 4age into a KE70 Corolla.
He got some stuff cheap, but it shows what you can get if you shop around enough.

Quote:

AE71 Sedan "Project Crap Car"
4age 100kW: $150
flywheel, loom, ignitor etc: $175
Exhaust: $400 (ego sensor too)
Surge tank: $30
EFI pumps, hoses, camps and fittings: $300
Fuel sealant: $15
Cut'n'shut intake manifold: $150
Diff tailshaft & gearbox (TE72): $250
Clutch: $200
Random bits from wreckers: $150
Bits for wiring: $50

GRAND TOTAL: $1870.00

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik wrote on Thu, 19 February 2004 11:36

im getting a ke55/ke30 to start as a project and wanted to do a 4AGE 100kw conversion. until i get the money to do that wat can be done to a 4k/5k engine to get more power out of it? could probably spend around 1000-1500. im talking about actual engine mods, not bolt on bits like extractors and air filters. wat can be done and wat are the most responsive and how much power could we be looking at?
im thinking:
possibly boring out the engine
shaved head
upgraded cams
twin carbies/webbers
if anyone can give me some info would be great
thanks

do a search for the 4 or 5 times i've listed the mods to my 4K. i'm getting about 47kw at the wheels@8000rpm (dynoday5) compared to stock 86kw 4AGE's getting 55kw. i still have the straight runner manifold and single weber carb, but soon to have 4KE injection. should be well over 50kw then...maybe even 55 Wink

plenty of internal bits, but basically cam, modified cam towers to suit, exhaust porting, intake porting, higher CR etc etc.. normal things.

find my old posts and then we can start talking details.

a 4K will never be as fast as a 4AG in the same car, but will feel like a fun little raw revvy engine.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friends Dad has a 3K powered clubman (historic racer woo hoo!). It has been bored out and runs Triumph pistons (which now have to be custom made), big cam, 11:1 comp ratio, twin 45mm Webbers and has had serious porting/headwork (exact specs remain a mystery). Of course it runs on avgas..... but is good for around 140 - 150 Bhp. Revs easily to 8k.

In a 400Kg car this equals FUN, and lots of it!!

Also a mate had a KE25 with a 5K running fuel injection (early Wolf version), minor porting, extractors and a 5-speed. Brilliant and fun little car.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 19 February 2004 13:04

He got some stuff cheap, but it shows what you can get if you shop around enough.

Quote:

Exhaust: $400 (ego sensor too)
Surge tank: $30
EFI pumps, hoses, camps and fittings: $300
Fuel sealant: $15
Cut'n'shut intake manifold: $150
Diff tailshaft & gearbox (TE72): $250
Clutch: $200
Random bits from wreckers: $150
Bits for wiring: $50

GRAND TOTAL: $1870.00

its an ae71 which is almost a bolt in job like an ae86. a ke30 is very different to an ae71.

ab
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but the cost factor is still relatively the same
There will be a few more costs involved in some custom stuff, but likewise, there could be a few others that wont pop up

I didnt say anything about it being easy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if this is your first project, i HIGHLY recommend at least ripping the K motor to bits and having a play around, spend a couple of bucks on things like cam, and this'n'that, then whack it back together...

the great thing about them is that they are hard to break and are pretty forgiving. you can almost double the power output with the right mods, and being such a small motor, they rev happily (ot 7-8000rpm) and build revs quickly. they have been modified for years in the 1300 racing classes and there is a wealth of knowledge on them.

they also don't require engineers certificates Wink and you can still insure them easily Smile

the car will be quick around town, and not quite fast enough to lose your licence, but be fun enugh to learn to drive around a track.... all depends what you are after...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 19 February 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plenty of potential in the K motors. like stu says - hard to break too.

witz's engine conversion - remember is project crap car.
if yours is a daily do you really wanna skimp

stick with the K - good basis for learning.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 4k/5k engine potential Thu, 26 February 2004 14:21 Go to previous message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 19 February 2004 13:04

Quote:

a 4AGE for $150!??? where???
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 Diff ...
Next Topic:4agte questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:01:14 UTC 2024