Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
TA22 respray Wed, 18 February 2004 09:33 Go to next message
I'm looking into taking back the body on my TA22 myself to make things cheaper for a respray, it has some rust and bog. but all appears to be on the surface.

When i purchased the car i usead cut and polish on the boot and this took off some specks of the paint. Most of the paint is like this except for the entire poassenger side which has been done in 2pac but there are some bubbles coming through on this side.

I've got no real idea what to do or where to start so any help would be appreciated cheers, mike
  Send a private message to this user    
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TA22 respray Wed, 18 February 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just start at one panel and go your life. But beware your infor a long project unless u are really enthusiastic. Thats the reason a paint job costs so much.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 respray Wed, 18 February 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes. beware of extremely long term project.
its alot of work if you're going to do it properly.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 respray Wed, 18 February 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be aware that most rust starts on the inside of the panels, so anything which appears "on the surface" has almost certainly come all the way through. Be prepared for a big shock when you start stripping paint off...
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much does the paint cost to respray a car?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on the paint. Plain flat white was around $50/litre last time I bought some (admittedly ages ago), while harlequin paint is something like $1k/litre, and there's heaps of stuff in between.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks,
i'm looking at just doing the exterior for the moment, not going to take out all the interior at the moment due to my budget, looking at the hsv purple to replace the faded purple brown look at the moment.
also what am i going to need to strip back the paint and partially prep the body for the spray? because i'll be taking the car somewhere to get that done
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think harlequin is like $2500 a ltr - is it worth it?
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many litres did you use when you did your car?
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't respray my car if I'm the one your asking. Sorry. Its getting sprayed now, I shall ask them how much it took, all in WRX Blue Mica Very Happy
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah sorry was asking Norbie
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigs
Dependt on the paint you are using if you use a solid colour you would probably need 3-4 liters as for harlequin you only need 2 liters as you thin it out 50/50 but that is still 2g's for 2L.

P.S sorry norbie for the hijack Rolling Eyes
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 litres of solid colour will only just make for two coats on an RA28, RA23 would be similar (but on the safer side).
So you can bargain on around 4 litres of under coat minimum (primer surfacer) minimum 4 litres solid colour, and if you want it to last for a while, you'd do a few coats of clear on top.

We mixed colour and clear on a recommendation, but the paint is a bit soft and scraches easily.

Paint stripper is always a time saver, just don't wait for it to dry again, or it will stick back down again.

If any parts don't lift with the stripper, there's bog under it. and you've got some serious scraping and sanding ahead of you.

tip, disc type power sanders leave deep gouges in the metal, and it takes a lot of paint or a fair bit of sanding to get them out after it has been painted.

A good place to start if you're unsure is the front "bikini-bottoms" bit at the front of your 23.

If you plan to use any sort of metallic paint, don't expect it to last as long as the solid colours, the flakes degrade.

2 pac paint (when sprayed correctly) will come up with a fairly good finish (easier polishing job, but it is really hard and eats buffing pads)

Acrylic can mean lots of cutting back and polishing, this is where the time goes.

If you're just going to strip it, then get stuck into it, just be wary of anything that might leave marks in the metal, and be aware that major panels of these cars (ie. roof - rear quaters) were joined by "lead wiping", meaning that the joins are neatened up with lead, be careful sanding, it is poisonous and it also sands really quickly to leave obvious defects in the cars lines, so be carefull around the top of the rear side windows and the rear window.

Go for it.
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siktoy ra23 wrote on Thu, 19 February 2004 20:29

Nigs
Dependt on the paint you are using if you use a solid colour you would probably need 3-4 liters as for harlequin you only need 2 liters as you thin it out 50/50 but that is still 2g's for 2L.

P.S sorry norbie for the hijack Rolling Eyes

Ah ok i see now how it goes. I want to respray a ke55 rolla when i grab my hands on a thrashed one Very Happy just researching this stuff atm cos i can paint good with the gun. Going to spray it Orange same color used on my brothers torana thats a solid color ay?
kohoy
Regular

January 2004

Re: TA22 respray Thu, 19 February 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i want to respray only part of the car, how can i match the color when i buy paint? Are there any color catalog I can take outside and match with my car? Where should I go for the paint? I'm in melbourne
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: TA22 respray Fri, 20 February 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that steve, i'll just be stripping back the paint myself within the next month, i know that it does have some bog in it in the bottom of the back passenger side, mainly because it's falling out and cracked. how long should i allow to get this done? i've been told basically to keep a weekend free, is this true?
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 respray Fri, 20 February 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohoy wrote on Fri, 20 February 2004 10:43

If i want to respray only part of the car, how can i match the color when i buy paint? Are there any color catalog I can take outside and match with my car? Where should I go for the paint? I'm in melbourne

A lot of places claim to do eye matching but it's really hard. For example in some cases even a flat colour will seem to match in some light conditions and appear black to white in others.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: TA22 respray Mon, 05 April 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K, im also lookin at sanding/strippin back my car as to make a respray cheaper - Its an st162 if ur wondering. Ive gathered that using paint stripper and light sanding is probably the best option, more time consuming but cheaper on my behalf. The paint is speckled all over the bonnet and roof, plus starting to craze and crack down the left side. there is some slight bog near the back wheel arch but im pretty sure its just surface. So, are there any major points to look out for whilst doing this? im also taking out the windscreen and attending to some slight rust there as well.

Cheers guys

and sorry for hijackin ur thread
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 respray Mon, 05 April 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its alot of work i can tell you that :

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=32704&start=0&rid=664&S=87f3983046c9 61fcec9c8dd6683b338c
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: TA22 respray Tue, 06 April 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done a complete respray on my TA22 using a pearl paint and it is one huge job. The sanding alone took about about two weeks working over 8 hours each day, and that was not completely back to bare metal (I didn't use any stripper as I wanted to preserve the bog underneath). I was using one of the plain $20 orbital sanders and I burnt out two of them. If you are going to paint a dark colour you may want to use a black undercoat as this will make your top coat much richer and stop the grey undercoat showing through. The paint (acrylic) cost me about $500 all up which covered: metal conditioner, etch primer, 4L grey undercoat, 4L black undercoat, 4L paint, 1L pearl, 4L clear, 20L thinners. That pretty much covered the whole thing except the engine bay.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: TA22 respray Tue, 06 April 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i know its gonna take ages, but it doesnt have to be really really thorough, its just to take most of the work away from the guy im gonna get to spray it. I figure if i can do a half-arsed/okay job (enough to get to final sanding stage or something) it will save me about 1grand in time and labour or something. I figure thats well worth a weekend of sniffing fumes and sanding. Theres some slight bog in places but i guess that will all be filled in again. I also want to make sure that if theres rust i can stop that goin further. So thinners and hand sanding seems to be the go. Thanx guys
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 respray Tue, 06 April 2004 10:00 Go to previous message
i'm lucky with my car. the only rust is (was now) in the bottom corner of the rear window. that is now gone and anti rust shit is treating it as i write this.

i have hand sanded the rear of the car and the roof. this also includes filling in a couple of small trolley marks which takes a while also.

its hard work but very very rewarding. i can't wait to see the end product!!!!!!!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Stock Soarer Mags on widebody camry?
Next Topic:TA22 - removing chrome trims around windows?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:55:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064330101013184 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.