Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
car stereos Mon, 09 February 2004 23:40 Go to next message
okie dokie

in my celica i have a pioneer 4x45W head with 2 6" pioneer speakers in the front and 2 weird 3x6" speakers in the back.

now im looking for a speaker setup for my supra- is there anything available in the 3" size (stock speaker size for supra??) that would be at least as powerful as the 6" i had in the celica, considering ill be using the same head deck??

what are some recommendations, so i dont have to go cutting big holes in my doors and ruining my map pockets again??

thanks Surprised Surprised Surprised
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not speaking from experience here, but I believe you can cut the dash slightly to fit in 4"s. Can anyone clarifty this?

While a decent 4 will sound good, it wont have the bass, and it will be struggling to produce the midrange of a decent 6.
That said, with a sub, and good 6's in the rear, a decent set of 4" splits will make for a nice front stage
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm okay....

say 6" or so in the back, 4" in the front, what about a single 5-6" sub or speaker under the dash, where the ma61s have a shitty sub? how would that sound? Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Tue, 10 February 2004 08:52

hmmm okay....

say 6" or so in the back, 4" in the front, what about a single 5-6" sub or speaker under the dash, where the ma61s have a shitty sub? how would that sound? Very Happy

Shit, basically

2 8"s on the rear parcel shelf wouldnt be too bad, if you are worried about weight saving.
But a single 10" or 12" in a dedicated box sitting in the 'boot' is definately the way to go

Unless you're not a fan of 00ge bass, then just get some 6x9's and make up a custom shelf for them
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmmmmmm okay thanks Very Happy

all will be taken into consideration Evil or Very Mad
1983supra
Regular

I supported Toymods

July 2002
Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 10" JSB sub sitting in the back with 2 amps and a cd stacker screwed to the side and back of the sub box. 1 x 100 Amp pioneer for the sub and a 4 way 60 watt pioneer for the front and rears. 5" JSB's in the rear sides and the original speakers in the front with a Kenwood head unit, sound ok.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm i see, thanks wayne Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1983supra wrote on Tue, 10 February 2004 12:51

I have a 10" JSB sub sitting in the back with 2 amps and a cd stacker screwed to the side and back of the sub box. 1 x 100 Amp pioneer for the sub and a 4 way 60 watt pioneer for the front and rears. 5" JSB's in the rear sides and the original speakers in the front with a Kenwood head unit, sound ok.

sounds easy to steal.. like mine was
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My solution to the problem is this, get the doors trimmed and some custom pods made up. Make sure you rust treat the fresh cuts. Stick some 6" speakers in the front door.

Get one 12" sub and stick it in the boot area. Apply power and enjoy, this is all I have in my car, and I've only had compliments about how it sounds.

Admittedly I'm going to get some nice 6" splits for the doors of the XX and some rear 4x6" speakers, but this is partly because the XX is being done to a higher budget.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Tue, 10 February 2004 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and best of all, it's all fairly stealth with the sub being covered by the factory boot cover and the 6" speakers being right down the bottom of the door.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: car stereos Wed, 11 February 2004 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Decide what sort of music you listen to most in the car. Work out what sort of bass levels you want, bassed both on music vs volume level, offset this against how much you want to spend and how much room you want to sacrifice. Decide then if volume matters, if you want music clarity with or just volume.

If you want clarity, you need quality speakers, in good locations. With a good source. If you want volume then you need speakers that have power handling, an amp to put out the power and a good solid mounting for them. Please DO NOT put them straight into the parcel shelf. Accidents happen and people get hurt when 6 x 9's hit the back of their head.

If you have cut the door panels already that's a good base to build some custom pods. Try different positions for the fronts before building to get locations and angles right. Try to do this with someone in the passenger seat to get around their body as well.

You can shoehorn just about anything into anything, just be creative. Listen to all. Follow some. Read lots about positioning of speakers, wiring, sub location, and look for examples of other cars of the same type and see what they have done.

It's always a comprimise (unless you're American and sponsored by a company). Again, decide what sound you want, how loud, how much money to spend and how much space to save.
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: car stereos Wed, 11 February 2004 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any ideas what sort of system i should attempt to put in an aw11? Very Happy
was going to put 4 inch splits in the front factory mounts, and would like something with more bass as well. only problem is a complete lack of anything even closely resembling room Wink
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Thu, 12 February 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay im now thinking 4" 2 way 100w in the front, and want something a bit beefier than a 4x6" in the back- preferably without sticking in a sub- as i dont really want to spend that much, and prefer clarity and sound quality over the rumble off thundering bass and kick drums (i listen to metal)

can i shoehorn 6x9s into the rear speaker holes in the ma61?

any recommendations?

thanks Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Thu, 12 February 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, without a rear shelf there is no where in the back to fit 6x9". The side panels (beside the rear passengers) will require cutting of structural metal if you wish to fit them there.

Just because you have a sub doesn't mean you always have mucho bass that overpowers everything. All its job is really to round out the sound, make sure that the lower end of the songs is represented. Sure there is bass if I crank the bass controls, but it's the best thing I've ever done and I cringe driving around with it out and having to listen to just 6" speakers.

Seriously dude, I've done it, in your car and I can tell you, nice 6" splits/2-ways in the doors, with one 12" sub in a box in the boot, powered by a decent amp will sound AWESOME Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Thu, 12 February 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and I'm pretty picky about sound quality over doof doof like you Nod
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: car stereos Thu, 12 February 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want bass without space image dynamics make a 12inch sub that only need 0.5 cu ft. I have one of their earlier models in 0.9 and it barely fits, it would be a funky shape to be that small. For odd sizes and holes and fitting in Clarion make some weird sizes and fittings that are also pretty shallow. Power handling around 100w. There is no easy solution, no one answer. It took 3 years to purchase and install all the components I had. Achieved 124db from a single 12 inch at 100w. It's all about selection, installing and tuning.

PS 5 min to be stolen!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Thu, 12 February 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Thu, 12 February 2004 18:10

PS 5 min to be stolen!

This point is so true. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you always turn down the stereo before you arrive at somewhere you'll be parking Smile
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: car stereos Thu, 12 February 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh I know who stole it. Very Happy

Won't be light fingered again or he'll be less another pinkie.

First mistake, admiting, second telling me he'd just sold $3000- work of gear for $100-.

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Thu, 12 February 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm i see guys, thanks.

ill probably consider a sub then, but for the minute, i just want something so i dont have to use the discman and car kit. i got some birthday money, you see. im taking the head unit out of my celica and whacking it into the supra.

say i got 4" or 6"s in the front, and something like 4x6"s or whatever in the back, i could always put a sub in and make it beefer and better later, right??

thanks Smile Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, thats the best thing about car stereos is you can add something! I was in your boat originally, didn't want a subwoofer because I didn't want to overpower the sound...which it doesn't do at all much to my delight. Smile

I'd definetly recommend beginning with the 6" fronts first though, get a nice front stage. Personally, I'd be skipping the 6x4" speakers in the back and go for the sub, then decide later if you need more rear fill.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zhyr wrote on Thu, 12 February 2004 08:55

any ideas what sort of system i should attempt to put in an aw11? Very Happy
was going to put 4 inch splits in the front factory mounts, and would like something with more bass as well. only problem is a complete lack of anything even closely resembling room Wink

If ya dont have t-tops theres heaps of space behind the seats, you could allways used the front boot aswell. I thought the front speaker holes were 6" and the rears were 4"
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would 4x6" be any good in the front of an ma61?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There aren't a lot of decent 4x6" speakers for one, they won't sound as good as a 6", and they'll require cutting and modifying anyway, so you may as well just get 6" speakers! Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm i see. ive got a good set of 4x6" in the rears of my celica. its just i can fit them above my door handle in the supra- ala jza80 style.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It still wouldn't be as good as a decent set of 6" speakers mounted in a custom pod. Lemme see if I can find a pic of mine...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/celica/pod001.jpg

They currently look like that, only a small amount needs to be trimmed to make them fit. The ones in the XX I will build out slightly more and angle them a bit towards me, but you get the idea.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Fri, 13 February 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome thanks dude. thats the same as my ra60- except they were plonked straight on the map pockets.

thanks for all your help Very Happy
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 17 February 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay 4" speakers sound like shiiiiiiiit

WILL 6x9s FIT ON THE DOORS, THAT IS MY QUESTION Very Happy

6x9s sound good.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: car stereos Tue, 17 February 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

One of the to-shelf companies (Focus) make a quality 5.25" mid-woofer you could use for rear fill in the stock rear locations.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: car stereos Tue, 17 February 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havnt bothered with changing my front speakers yet
i have 2 7x10s in the back on a shitty made parcel shelf i knocked up in less than 15 minutes using some crappy MDF i had lying around
no amp, just a jvc head unit
i've been told that when i got the moosik cranking it sounds like i've got a smallish sub in the back(vibrates the crap out of the hatch Very Happy)
it sounds pretty good!
if i jack up the noise too high they do start to distort and cut out :/
cant wait until i get an amp...and maybe replace the shitty front speakers for some 6" splits or something...fulsik bro!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 17 February 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celia-Sue wrote on Tue, 17 February 2004 21:09

One of the to-shelf companies (Focus) make a quality 5.25" mid-woofer you could use for rear fill in the stock rear locations.

i must confess, i am liking the sound of this.

i basically want the whole thing to look neat.

i couldnt whack 5x7"s in the dash could i, basically mount them on the top of the stock speakers? take off the covers etc?

Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 17 February 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the largest that'll fit in teh stock fittings? I've currently got 6x4's in the rear but nfi about the fronts.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Tue, 17 February 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno, what are the stock rears? are they 5x7"s????

i know they are 3" in the front, maybe squeeze 3.5"s in there...

im hoping you can mount something bigger virtually on top of them.... Very Happy

anyone got more info on the 5.25" mid woofers?!? Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: car stereos Wed, 18 February 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heaps of manufacturers do 5 1/4" speakers
just go to local car audio shop and ask around

As to whether they fit, NFI here dude
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Wed, 18 February 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm seems like theres 4 speakers in the front of my celica.
Theres teh 3" behind the verticly rectangular vent and thers another one underneath it i think. What size is that one? and where is teh one for the drivers side coz i can't find it
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Fri, 20 February 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Thu, 19 February 2004 00:12

hmmm seems like theres 4 speakers in the front of my celica.
Theres teh 3" behind the verticly rectangular vent and thers another one underneath it i think. What size is that one? and where is teh one for the drivers side coz i can't find it

there are the 3" speakers on both sides... and the one on the passenger side, 4" or whatever, is a shitty subwoofer.

thats right.

and crUZida- i think he mentioned 5.25" subwoofers??? YAY if so...
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Fri, 20 February 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been given a pair of alpine 6x9's, just taht i have no clue where to fit them! There just is no room for it in the stoker mounts and i don't want to stuff around with the door trimings, i have no parcel shelf either Sad so the only option left is pod boxes. Any good ideas about where to stick these then?
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Fri, 20 February 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know people stick them either in the sides above the armrests (yuck) or make a small parcel shelf.... so i dunno

can you fit them in the front? they'd sound good there i reckon Evil or Very Mad
1983supra
Regular

I supported Toymods

July 2002
Re: car stereos Fri, 20 February 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryley, this is a good link for mk11 speaker stuff

http://www.afn.org/~wjh/tsc/supra/stereo/stereo.ht m
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car stereos Fri, 20 February 2004 13:42 Go to previous message
thanks wayne, tis a good read Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Roadside Assistance Companies
Next Topic:Keep my GZ10 or update?: oppinions wanted!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:07:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080468654632568 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.