Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
physh
Regular

May 2002
Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 02:14 Go to next message
Anyone got any "stock" GT4 celica times 0-100km/hr?

Primarily interested in finding out about the 1990-1992 (ST185 I think?) GT4s, and how they go.

Sounds like they can be modded fairly easily too.
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very slow (comparitively) - I think in Wheels magazine they stated about 8.5 seconds for an ST185....of course, then there's the 'Group A' ST185s which are quicker.

As for the ST205 - no idea.
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeezus... 8.5?
My ford EL XR6 was faster'n that... Shocked

question is though - that 8.5 sec to the 100, how hard is it to bring that down?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I'm not sure if a stock EL XR6 is faster than 8.5 to 100km/h - but bringing down that time isn't so hard on an ST185. The stock turbo is strong and reliable, but efficient it is not. There's lots of 'group a' parts which can be easily fitted which will see that time drop. Obviously being a turbo-charged car a new exhaust always frees up alot of power. I'm sure some of the more ST185 experienced people on this forum can help out here.
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
physh wrote on Fri, 20 February 2004 14:17

jeezus... 8.5?
bring that down?

Holy crap
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Fri, 20 February 2004 14:25

Well I'm not sure if a stock EL XR6 is faster than 8.5 to 100km/h -

Stock? Evil or Very Mad
Actually I think stock it was probably about the same. Mine was quicker than stock though... Twisted Evil

Quote:

but bringing down that time isn't so hard on an ST185.

Rexxelent... Any resources on where to learn more about that?
One of you GT4 modders out there maybe?

Say given a $2k budget over a ST185 GT4 (prob with about 160,000km on the engine & turbo) what could I do to make it a bit quicker?

Would it be worth dropping a newer engine in?
I'd assume that would be around the $2500 mark though, am I far off?
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Group A is not much quicker if at all. But its a better base for mods.

Standard my GT4 ran a 16.10 1/4 mile.
I've added a dump pipe $350, JDM ECU $200 and now it runs a 15.08.

Add slightly more boost, and a full exhaust and you'd be at a mid 14.

So its not hard to bring the performance up.
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sensational.

A mid-15's car for an extra few grand sounds good!

My current ride theoretically does 14 sec 1/4... BA XR6 Turbo.
(although there was an APS stage III kit fitted to one that ran a 10.98 the other day... Razz )

You say the Grp a ones are a better base for mods?
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, they have ECU maps up to 16/17psi whereas the normal ST185 only go to 12psi.

They also have a much better IC (WTA rather than ATA) and a better bonnet/bumper design that promotes better engine cooling.

Besides that, they look better Smile
investo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spectral wrote on Fri, 20 February 2004 15:49

i thought the st185 was quoted at mid-15's?
investo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
investo wrote on Fri, 20 February 2004 19:43

spectral wrote on Fri, 20 February 2004 15:49

i thought the st185 was quoted at mid-15's?

*edit- actually that was the Group A
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
comone classique71 where are you? he is the man to talk to Smile

this page my be of interest to you psych

http://www.amberaspley.com/gt4/scans/tuning/index. html
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice, robst162... thanks! Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ok ..

im here ..

Quarter mile time is mid 15's stock .. With conserative mods this can be cut down to low 14's/ high 13's easy ..

Wheels time is pretty close to the mark - but raising the boost will shave off a second and a bit off that time easy ..

Mine - at a guess - without Gtech - but my stopwatch does at least 7 sec ish to get to 100 .. thats up a hill!
The group a IS a better buy to mod - but if you cant afford it and dont mind a little more weight and a bit more work in the long run - to get a ST185 to match a st185 Group A is relatively easy for power output..

it mostly comes down to a boost controller and a decent dump pipe ... And about 2 grand ironically enough

As a note - with MINOR mods - mine outclassed at least 2 Group A st185's at a dyno shootout last year , as did davgt4's St185 , so dont let these guys make yiou think it isnt worth buying !

BUT BUT BUT if you can afford a group A - BUY ONE! I couldnt when i bought mine , so im having to put all the good traits in the lesser st185 to make it as mechanically adept ( ie the gearbox and bonnet, bumper - MUCH stronger and the bonnet/bumper is much more friendly for underbonnet cooling )

Also note that a GT4 is an absolute prick of a car to launch correctly - BUT they excel over just about EVERY car that toyota has EVER made in the hills.

Their only flaw here is an undersized rear sway bar .. THAT must be swapped to really settle the car for heavier bendy work

OK if i had 2 grand to spend on a stock st185..

First - fuck off the EVIL exhaust that comes stock on it - its bad and posessed by demons. At least tell the dup mp pipe to go away - its restrictive and has the first of 2 catalytic concverters on the car .. you only need one to be legal !

Secondly - invest in a boost controller .. utilise the ECU's full potential

thirdly - talk to me about the 13volt fuel pump mod .. 5 dollars wil have this mod up and running

4thly - save the rest to put toward a decent intercooler setup or a top mounted 9 inch fan in the air to air intercooler ..

One thing to note - is the car an Australian delivered - OR a jap spec car ..

The aussie delivered ones like mine have better mechanicals - but a slightly lesser ECU ( 5kw difference in output due to the jap one being tuned to better fuel )

Aussie ones are graced with the group A Steel turbo ( not ceramic )- and torsen LSD on the rear diff ..

Just a slice of trivia for you Smile
hope that helps add to your confusion !

[Updated on: Fri, 20 February 2004 12:06]

physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Fri, 20 February 2004 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sensational... gold info there classique71!

So I'll look for a Group A...

BUT, I only have between $13-16k for the car, then at most $2-3k for mods up front. Ongoing may be another matter, but we'll have to see.

Judging by what I can find, that ain't gonna get me a group A... :/

I'm going to have a look at two st185 GT4's today - neither is group A though.
I'll see if I can work out if they're jap or aus spec, sounds like I want an Aus spec one.

What should I look for?
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Sat, 21 February 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My last 0-100 was 4.8 sec and a flat 13 for the 1/4. This was with a KKK turbo on the stock manifold, stock injectors, stock ECU, stock IC, 3 inch exhaust. It's a GrpA ST185 with the 205 engine. Plenty of bolt on mods since then but still a stock bottom end. I'm chasing sub 4.5sec 0-100 and 12.5 1/4's....if i get that i'll be happy and the mods stop Wink
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Sat, 21 February 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
physh - easiest way to spot an aussie over a jap is the intercooler cover - if it says "Ceramic" onnthe grill covering the air to air intercooler - its a jap ..

Also there will be jap writing all thru it - ie under the bonnet , the visors etc ..

jap ones also came with more " luxury gear " like electric seats , tilt back electric mirrors , and climate control

Pretty easy to pick ..

Outside of that - note the vin number and ring toyota to see if it was an import or aus delivered ..

re money wise - i got mine for 11K with minor mods , but with 196K on the clock .. High milage - but the body - bar the bumpers in need of painting - was in excellent condition , as wwas the interior , and the engine blew no smoke ..

To get it to where mine is now - ive spent quite a bit - PM me if you want to know how much - but its now closer to " highly modified " then stock and bar for the gearbox - is easily on par with a Stock group A st185, if not better.

Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Sat, 21 February 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
physh wrote on Sat, 21 February 2004 07:12

So I'll look for a Group A...

BUT, I only have between $13-16k for the car, then at most $2-3k for mods up front. Ongoing may be another matter, but we'll have to see.

Judging by what I can find, that ain't gonna get me a group A... :/

What should I look for?

From my experinces with GT4s your 3 grand is best spent on a full exhaust, aftermarket ecu and a t peice to wind up the boost. By removing the first two that control the power, only then will you get the full gain of your modifications.

The Group A's have a stronger and better accelaration ratio' box then the GT4's and when you need to move that fat ass off the line it comes in very handy.

The GT4 top mount is quite ordinary and you will almost find yourself having to do a Group A conversion just to get some decent cooling wether it be a front mount or sourcing a WTA intercooler which will have to go with the Group A larger throttle body anyway.

Doing the 3 things I mentioned plus rebuilding the tired turbo with a 57 trim wheel will see you running 14s very comfortably
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Sat, 21 February 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Puffy wrote on Sat, 21 February 2004 17:49

The GT4 top mount is quite ordinary and you will almost find yourself having to do a Group A conversion just to get some decent cooling wether it be a front mount or sourcing a WTA intercooler which will have to go with the Group A larger throttle body anyway.

Doing the 3 things I mentioned plus rebuilding the tired turbo with a 57 trim wheel will see you running 14s very comfortably

Sounds about right - I'm better off with a Group A to start with.

What's the difference between a series I/II/III 3SGTE?

Assuming that the engine/turbo combo in whatever i buy is likely to have 150-200k on it, and be fairly tired...
Where would you source a newer engine (frontcut maybe?) and what would be a reasonably priced proposition? (reasonably = <4k transplant)

Thanks for all the info guys!
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Sat, 21 February 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://alltrac.net/specs/comparison.htm

Try the above link.

Gen III have a 60mm throttle body
Gen II Group A / RC 55mm throttle body
Gen II 50mm throttle body

Gearbox ratios are different and GEN III have better flowing head,intake runners, greater lift cams, triple metal headgasket, and the turbo is better. These are the additional differences that you wont find in the above link. There are more but they are the major ones.
Hawk
Regular

August 2003
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Mon, 23 February 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lots of specs for those interested including stock times. Very Happy

http://www.allwheelmotion.com/arvinfaq.htm

Also gives you the key to unlocking those toyota model codes.

Anyway to improve the exhaust on the Group A without making it noisier?

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock 0-100km/hr times for GT4 celicas? Mon, 23 February 2004 09:07 Go to previous message
depends - put in a few more resonators or a larger one - mine was pretty quiet with the 3 inch system with a resonator installed - woithout it shakes the tin on the roof ..

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE with 1G charger
Next Topic:ta22 sump in car removal
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 15:09:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010641098022461 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.