Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Wed, 21 January 2004 10:06 Go to next message
My mate who never shuts up about his rx7 is now crapping himself.

3 hours after getting my AW11 import registered Razz we went out for a few runs at a local spot.

We had 4 standing start runs. The first two I launched two car lengths on him and he couldnt believe his eyes and won by two/three car lengths.The third run he got a better launch and it was pretty much a dead heat. That run was an awesome experience. The last run i missed second and he got me by a length.

We had a rolling start run too. It was great, but when he got into third gear he started to pull away slowly. He won by a 3/4 length.

It was the first time I have had a quarter mile race. It was the most fun I have had in ages. The adrenalin was pumping. So I popped some big smoky doughnuts for the boys we were with....

My mates car has around 220 Hp at the engine. And I believe mine has around 165 Hp. AW11 4agze is 145 Hp standard and it has a HKS exhaust system. But due to the closeness of the runs My mate and I are wondering if their could be other 'invisible' work done to my GZE. I havent sussed out the pulleys either perhaps I am running an oversized and dont know it.

I cant afford a dyno tune at this point in time... But when I do I will let everyone know.

cheers

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Wed, 21 January 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the aw11 also weighs as much as a packet of matches, and being mid-engine rwd should have less driveline losses
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really dont the AW11's weigh over 1000KG..?

id think the rx7 is lighter?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
940kg is the figure I see most (after a quick use of ol' faithful google)

edit: that's dry weight of course

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2004 00:37]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s3 weighs 1060kg
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2004 01:14]

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine was on a weighbridge and came in at 1125kg

there is a valve near the rear right of the engine bay that controls the overboost valve. Check if there are any hoses coming off the valve that have been blocked off. When they put a bigger crank pulley on, they need to do this otherwise the overboost valve just vents the excess pressure. If a hose has been blocked off you most likely have a bigger pulley.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah as part of the Blue slip I had to go to the Public Weighbridge. Came in at 1120 kgs. Wink

We are going out for round two in the near future. Armed with a SONY digicam. I will have some cool vids to show. Hope fully someone with some Web space will be able to host them for me. I cant wait.....

cheers
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin
I will check on the hoses but I am pretty sure everything is factory except for the HKS exhaust. I am absolutely stoked about the exhaust.

draven
I think you are right about the driveline losses. I guess my car is a FWD in reverse. meh. Id rather not think that Laughing
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 22 January 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 18:15

Benjamin
I will check on the hoses but I am pretty sure everything is factory except for the HKS exhaust. I am absolutely stoked about the exhaust.

draven
I think you are right about the driveline losses. I guess my car is a FWD in reverse. meh. Id rather not think that Laughing

So you'd rather have a heavy drive shaft to lose power with?

You've got the best RWD setup possible.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Fri, 23 January 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the really light mr2's are the japanese spec base models (ie Naturally Aspirated).
The superchargers add some extra weight of course. And I am thinking of putting in some AC as well so there will be even more weight. It just gets too hot in these cars in our weather.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Fri, 23 January 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine has Air con and Targa = weight.
But the blower more than makes up for it. hehehehehe Razz

There is a 110km/h warning chime. A little bell mounted under the dash.... Its cool when it goes off.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 February 2004 14:20]

SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Sat, 24 January 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can i have the chime? its a good thing so you dont speed or stay alert
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Sat, 24 January 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can pick up speed alerts from most auto stores (repco, autobarn etc)that you can set to any speed up to 180....cost around $80 or so
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Sat, 24 January 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak the early 85-86 4age models wit- out the electics are spose to weigh approx 950kg.
i will have to weigh mine oneday, all this stereo and bodykit stuff will be adding up.. Shocked
MrPotatoHead
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Thu, 05 February 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wanna get rid of my little chime, it seems to come on at 105km/h which gets annoying on 110km/h roads
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Fri, 06 February 2004 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive havent actually been on the freeway yet. It will be annoying... damn
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Sat, 07 February 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrPotatoHead wrote on Thu, 05 February 2004 18:42

i wanna get rid of my little chime, it seems to come on at 105km/h which gets annoying on 110km/h roads

Freak once i have sorted out all my boxes after moving i'll dig out my manual and see if it mentions the speed chime in it. shouldn't be too hard to disconnect it once you know where it's located.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Fri, 20 February 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im putting my money on the chime being on the back of the cluster or pluged into it. Its really anoying on 110kmh roads as the second day i picked up my AW11 SC import i went for a run down to gippsland vic and it was 110 all the way

I also like it too so ill be investigating a way to switch it on/off for long trips

My aw11 has got HKS exhaust and adjustable suspention all round, dunno about pulley but its fun..

My mate has a 318 charger with extractors/650 holley he was getting stuck into me for having a ricer buzz box..

a quick trip around the block changed his outlook on the MR2 Smile

dragged his charger and was atleast a carlenth infront up and over 100 (even when i missed second gear) and then his thing finally wound up and past me

Phill
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Fri, 20 February 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank god for me, my chime's disabled Very Happy.
I have this love hate realtionships with exa's.......... i love to hate them, this exa attempted to race me last night. by about 67/70/80 k's i was heaps infront without launching!!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Mon, 23 February 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NickAE86 wrote on Sat, 24 January 2004 19:06

you can pick up speed alerts from most auto stores (repco, autobarn etc)that you can set to any speed up to 180....cost around $80 or so

I HATE MINE
105km it goes off and wont STFU... and i cant be bothered pulling out the dash to cut it off...
grr
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Mon, 23 February 2004 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone else's cruise control work at after 110??? 110 is the heighest i can set mine Sad
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Mon, 23 February 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine only works up to 104
LowRollaBoy
Regular

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Mon, 23 February 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice win!

Remember that its not outright power that always wins, its driver skill, diff ratios, etc.
The ep 13b would of been a high revving engine, whilst ur gze would be relying of low to midrange torque to haul u off the line. And like somebody else mentioned, you have an mid mount engine, which makes for great balance and launches.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Tue, 24 February 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 19:15

draven

MR setups are the best for delivering power, although I hear the MR2s engine is a bit to far back causing a little too much weight to be sent rearwards. Lets just see what other cars use MR huh? McLauren F1s, Ferrari V8s, Most (all?) Porsches, Most LeMans race cars and Formula one racers. I think the MR2 is in good company.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE MR2 vs RX7 S3 13B ext port Fri, 27 February 2004 02:19 Go to previous message
She launches like an animal. I love it.

Falcondores do not understand why a little jap box leaps 2 lengths on them in a second.

KICKASS!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 vs Swift GTI vs V8 Calais vs S13
Next Topic:Hiace wins
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:07:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061659812927246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.