Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Testa_Dura
Regular

January 2004

1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 02:38 Go to next message
i have just finishied putting a 1ggte into my ra23 and for some reason it wont start. it cranks no worries and every now and then it seems like its gonna run (and it did once for like 2 seconds)and starts to fire but then it dies. I have checked everything i can think of, however i dont know what the timing should say when it is cranking so i dont know if that is out or not. Any ideas/advice on how to get this thing to work would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the AFM hooked up?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup turn your ignition on and stick your finger down the AFM and make sure the fuel pump starts. If that doesn't answer your question, then make sure you are getting spark. If that doesn't help, check that your are getting good power to the ECU and good earth to the engine
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also check that your dizzy is not out one tooth.
I swear I put mine in correctly, but when I rechecked it, it was out.

Take the bolt out so you can rotate it further past the normal 15 degrees.

Try them.
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check for major vacume leaks too. mine did this when i was in a rush trying to start it the 1st time. Then i found out that i was a dick and hadnt hooked up the brake booster vacume line! haha.

So check em all.
Testa_Dura
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the advice guys. i tested the afm and the fuel pump switches on when i move the flap thing, the computer is getting its 12 volts and i checked the earths with a multi meter and the all seemed good. i sprayed a shitload of start ya bastard into it and it starts, but it doesnt stay running. longest it was on for was about ten of seconds. As far as the timing goes, i thought this might be the drama but i havent touched the dizzy at all and i dont think it has been taken off the motor ever. This being said i could very well be wrong. it cranks at around 12 or 13 dergrees. is this right?

cheers
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, sounds about right.
I'd be looking at fuel problems
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you're running on the cold-start injector alone.

are the injectors firing when you crank?

i guess you've got heaps of wiring to re-check
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might have to get your injectors serviced after sitting around for a while the fuel can go like oil and even clog injectors also change your spark plugs the ones in my engine were stuffed and stoped it from starting
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check to see if u have 12v to injectors

then if u do have 12v to the black with orange trace wire on the injectores
u might have blocked injectors

what i do is make a 2 pin plug that fits on the injctors from an old injector plug

then run long wires

put one wire to earth and the other tap in on the positve terminal
or vise versa with earth

i use this way to free stuck injectors
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is unlikely that your injectors are that blocked that it won't start.

make sure that you are getting a good earth to the computer and to the engine.

Have you checked that you are getting spark???

knackers
Regular

November 2002
Re: 1ggte wont start Mon, 23 February 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi
Along shot check all your leads are on the wright plugs.
cya knackers
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1ggte wont start Tue, 24 February 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

It sounds like a AFP problem. The fuel pump will only operate when 1. the flap on the AFM is open, that is when the engine is running and drawing in air 2. or when it is cranking. This is controlled by the circuit opening relay.

Your car is starting and running when you try to start it but stopping when the starter motor is disengaged. The two causes of this is a faulty afm ie not plugged in OR most likely a leak somewhere in the piping from the AFM to the throttle body - ie air is being drawn in after the AFM. I had exactly this problem when I completed my initial conversion and let me tell you it took me a while to track down, it also stopped me one time at Wakefield park when a connection came loose. Check all of the connections however unlikely you think it is the case.

Craig
1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: 1ggte wont start Tue, 24 February 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with the last post,check the AFM or try to get your hands on a few parts from an operating motor. Ask a friend with the same engine perhaps help. A friend of mine had a similar problem with his 4A-GE 20V silver top so we got another 4A-GE 20V Silver top and started trouble shooting. We swapped the AFM and tested,then the ECU then tested, The air intake hose, then tested then we tried the Fuel pump and we realised that the problem was right there.

But seeing that your car idles and then shots off
could be either the Fuel Pump,ECU,Airflow meter,or ignition, check that the plugs are firing.
Good luck
Testa_Dura
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1ggte wont start Tue, 24 February 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for all the suggestions guys. ends up that the problem was a very simple one Smile Basically what happened is i got my fuel lines mixed up Embarassed and was running the feed into the return. basically as soon as i changed them over it started first kick and didnt even require much cranking. well i'm off off to make some boost Very Happy

cheers
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggte wont start Tue, 24 February 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression that you couldnt get them wrong on Toyotas
Ie, the fuel line input has a banjo fitting on it, and the return was just a hose with a clamp.
And you cant get them mixed up?

Meh, maybe it wasnt like that back in RA2x days being carby and all
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte wont start Tue, 24 February 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol i was gonna ask how it all went with the car.
John S
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: 1ggte wont start Wed, 25 February 2004 05:58 Go to previous message
I'm about to do a 1GGTE conversion. Did you wire it yourself or did someone do it for you. What sort of job did they do?

JS
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Steering Box to Rack (power)
Next Topic:6 speed box in 20v
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:46:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005608081817627 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.