Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
13BTA22
Regular

December 2003
Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 03:21 Go to next message
I am going to do the conversion but just wondering do your eyes pop out of ya head when ya stop.What would it compare to Mazda RX7 serier 4,5 brakes?
Cheers Pete
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it stops in a rather average fashion.
hiaaa
Regular

May 2002
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want "eyes pop out of ya head" feel with the hilux calipers you need a smaller size MC like 7/8", if you want good pedal feel then use a 15/16" MC. My friend he got RX-7 brakes and he reckon my Hilux brakes better Cool (That's on a AE86)

Leon

[Updated on: Wed, 25 February 2004 05:09]

13BTA22
Regular

December 2003
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well would like the eye thing.Could ya use a TA22 m/c for the 7/8 hole size.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have this combo fitted to my RA23 and its at least 60% better than original stopping power. I have never driven a RX7 S4 or 5 so I have no comparison to give you, but, its a *bloody* good upgrade. My first drive in the thing after the brake upgrade (still with stock MC 13?/16) scared me silly and I nearly broke my nose on the windscreen! I'm upgrading to a SA63 MC 15/16 as standard but bored and re-kitted to 1 inch size, as the current pedal travel is a little more than the original set-up, due to the greater volume of brake fluid that has to be moved through the calipers now.
Cheers,
Mitch.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have same setup with supra master and supra booster, im happy with my setup except i have crap skinny front tyres

and one locks b4 the other, which pulls the car hard to one way, any1 know how to fix this?
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig, its probably in the std proportioning valve on the firewall, my hunch is that the way it distributes the brake fluid it pumps more to one wheel than the other, ie your prob gettting more pressure from the bigger master than stock and that makes the brakes on one wheel come on harder than it prob should just because it was originaly built with std pressure in mind. I think these can be modified but try finding some1 that can will be the hard part. I have prob made no sense wat so ever, but if you can understand what i am saying and it helps all good.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 February 2004 12:45]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That actually seems to be a Supra thing... most Mk3's I've driven in deem to display a similar trait. Perhaps it's somethign to do with the master cylinder design (blown head gasket perhaps?Very Happy).

Give it a good bleeding and check that one of your calipers isn't sticking.. but beyond that I think you might be stuck with it!
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the front brakes are next on my list. I'm all ready to start the conversion in my TA22. (All i need is my car back from the Respray). I don't know enough, so nows a good time to start learning.
Whats the deal with the M/C size? what is the measurement refering too?
If not the pug/corona/hilux conversion. What setups have people used for racing applications, I know it couldn't be the OEM setup - one would get sick of running wide.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look for my thread i started on this. i should update it.
it'll be about 4-5 pages back.

the std bore of the celica master is 7/8 - you can re-sleeve it to 15/16 like todd did OR do like myself and fook did and get a new one of a mitsubishi pajero/triton (which is 15/16 already AND dual circuit)

the 7/8 and 15/16 refer to the bore size (where the piston travels) inside the caliper FWIW - because you are going from single piston to 4 piston this means there is a need for additional fluid transfer, and, as such a larger MC is required.

fattony is also onto something. the std proportioning valve on the firewall will not be adequate once this setup is installed - ideally an adjustable one should be installed - this would help no end with that issue.

with respect pedal feel, we've seen a similar thing with commodores when they move up to the VT twin piston setup (except they move up to a 1" bore MC from 15/16) - the pedal albeit still ok becomes a little squashy - this can be alleviated by using the newer "fast fill" master cylinder from the VS onwards (1" bore) - there was also talk about leather shims *somewhere* either inside the MC or b/w the MC and booster to help alleviate crappy pedal feel - apparently a common problem with early commodores but ford fixed it with the XF...(am a bit sketchy on details here, but, it might help somewhere)

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, adjusting the length of the pushrod between the master cylinder and booster does wonders to how much pedal travel and feel you get.

With the leather shims I would say that these would be in the booster under the pushrod, it's called a reaction disc, and if it is worn out, missing, too small etc pedal feel and effectiveness become a bit strange. What happens with a lot of people is they take the master cylinder out, accidently bump the brake pedal, pushrod comes out and the reaction disc falls off (into the booster). Reassemble and hey wow my brakes are weird.

AFAIK most Toyota boosters don't have removable reaction discs (thankfully), so you needn't worry about this. Just screw the little nipple on the top of the pushrod in and out to adjust the length.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Wed, 25 February 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Wed, 25 February 2004 22:26

and one locks b4 the other, which pulls the car hard to one way, any1 know how to fix this?

Hmmm, I would look for a flat spot on the tyre that locks first, as it will always lock first and at the same place every time in the future after you flat spot it.

Then get your wheel alignment checked.

Next up look at fitting the same proportioning valve as came with the original MC.

Don't forget that adjustable brake prop. valves are usually illegal in most States of Australia.

Last thing is that there is a slighly different length in the brake line pipes to each of the front wheels. Is the one that is locking on the shortest pipe ? Not too much you can do about this except be really anal and try and make equal length pipe runs. How much of a 'purist' are you ???
Rolling Eyes
Cheers,
Mitch.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Thu, 26 February 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, check your actual calipers. When I first put the Corona brakes on my Corolla, this often happened and it was because the one of the calipers was sticking a bit. It eventually failed and stuck solid, which was rather interesting driving around with only 1 front wheel braking...

With adjustable brake bias valves, if I'm not mistaken they are legal as long as you can't "easily" access it, as in it's not in the cabin with a big knob on it... But speak to an engineer to clarify.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Thu, 26 February 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats right fook, an adjustable bias valve is ok solongas its not mounted in cabin.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Peugeot/Hilux/Corona on Ta22 How well does it STOP. Thu, 26 February 2004 07:08 Go to previous message
Hmm while im actually a bit more awake now, i do recall that on two proportioning valves i have had in my car, both have been one down right pain when you use the brakes, for some reason the celicas love to lock the rear end first. With regard to the legality of a adjustable proportioning valve, i am fairly certian that they are legal on a car intended for road use, generally becuase a enginner suggested that i put one on, however i may be wrong on this.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:oil catch can
Next Topic:Best auto box behind RWD 3SGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 04:26:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066161155700684 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.