Toymods » Tech & Conversions » n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rEvoLuTiOn
Newcomer

February 2004
n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Fri, 20 February 2004 22:26 Go to next message
Hey all, im sure this has been covered but after hours of searching i was still unsure. My question is - what engine conversion options do i have based on cost,reliability, performance and ease of conversion considering this car will be a daily driven show car..

(rEV)
  Send a private message to this user    
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Sat, 21 February 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGE/GZE/20V, 2T, 3T, rotary?
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Sat, 21 February 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke70_3SGTE wrote on Sat, 21 February 2004 11:25

4AGE/GZE/20V, 2T, 3T, rotary?

Yeah ill say a Rotary agree with nates choice. Cheap Horsepower
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Sat, 21 February 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
since it is a 'show car' you are not really after a huge amount of power, but instead you should look for an engine that looks good.

rotary is a fine choice, but you will only be able to get a 12A approved (not turbo), and you will have issues with the trans tunnel, since rotary gearbox sits higher.

for showyness, i'd say 4AGZE or 4AGTE, small motor, looks good with shiny bits, and turbo always adds a touch of class to a show engine bay.

3TGTE would look good also, with the twin cam cover and 8 plug wires Wink

the 1GGTE manifolds look good, although fitting it in would be a bit of a challenge..

i would suggest you first talk to an engineer to find out what you can get registered.
Peter L Smith in Camden are wuite good, and sensible.

no conversion will be 'easy' per se, all will need pretty much all custom stuff and much much larger brakes. some conversions are harder than others tho (rotary and 1G)

what exactly do you want to do with the car, what budget, how much power, how much performance etc etc.

Cya, Stewart
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Sun, 22 February 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

daily driven show car..

I don't really think that these two in their purest forms go together. If you're driving it every day, that means in the rain, on broken roads occasionally, in traffic where the paint will chip, the exhaust will corrode (if mild steel), the undercarriage will soil, etc. etc. It won't stay show quality for long.

As for your engine conversion, the easiest option will probably be a T based motor. The TE37 crossmembers and tailshaft may fit your car for a bolt-in 2T-G / T50 combo. If not available, , which is period-style and in carburetted form can go in with minimum of expense sunk in EFI fuel systems, ECU looms and computer, etc. etc. This motor can be built to 1770CC without bore machining using factory standard parts, or to ~1940CC or depending on how game you are with your overbore.

What's your budget?
rEvoLuTiOn
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Tue, 24 February 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
budget is limited to around $5000

let me refrase the "daily driven show car"

i heard a cortina with a rotor (ROTINA plates)and have decided the rotary engine! Smile

So legally im only alowed to get a 12a. If i want turbo,and i do might it be better to go a 13b turbo or stick with a 12a turbo...like 4DSHOW (awesome car).

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Tue, 24 February 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fraid not kiddo Wink

whats 2.5x850??

or more to the point 2400/2.5=960kg

unless you can find a 960kg (factory weight) KE30, you are up shit creek, and have no way to get it registered in NSW.
you could however do a turbo 10A Wink would have the sound and blow-off valve, but not the go.

5K will likely just put in a custom engine conversion. leaves you no cash for paint, interior or wheels....

13B turbo LOL Laughing what is it with them and corollas lately?? have all the good geminis dried up?

talk to an engineer before you go buying the engine. keep maybe a $500-1K left over for brakes, 1K for diff.... which will be needed for the eng cert...

good luck!
Cya, Stewart

SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Tue, 24 February 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let's get real; good paint (not show-winning, just smooth/good) could cost $5000 on its own. Paint is really a question of how long is a piece of string, and the more you spend the better more prep time and thus better prep job you get. 2pack enamel, pearl, airbrushing and effects all cost extra. A professional body rebuild will require complete disassemnbly of the car, which will involve heaps of labour time.
Then there's accessories refinishing. A pair of bumpers will cost at least $500 to have rechromed properly. If you're serious you'd want to look at refinishing or replacing all your exterior chrome, badgework and the like. New mirrors, new glass if existing glass is scratched or chipped at all.
Add interior refurbishment (sports seats $1000pr, new carpets, seats and door cards/kicks retrimmed, parcel shelf and consoles, dashboard).
Add rolling stock (How long was that piece of string again? Not shorter than $1000 anyway...)
Add full suspension refubishment, include bushes ($200+), springs ($300+), dampers ($400+) and stabiliser bars ($300+).
Add engine conversion with required structural modifications and ancilliary upgrades (diff, clutch and transmission, cooling and lubrication systems, etc.).

Hope you work it all out, maybe you've got mates who are in the trade. $5000 can make a cool streetable KE30, bun not show quality. Were it my car this would be my $5000.

Break the car down yourself, refisish the accessories yourself. Mask and respray all blacks, then autosol the chrome to a shine. Replace any tired trim with good second-hand stuff you can locate. Send it for paint, or if you're good paint it yourself. If you're sending it for paint and can do some work yourself, it'll take a bite out of the paint bill. Reassemble the car yourself, again controlling costs. More work done yourself equals more money to spend on paint and prep time rather than someone else unbolting your rear quarter vents and door handles.

I'd maybe spend $1000 through the suspension, springs for ythe front, dampers, stabilisers and bush renewal with eurethane.

Then look at a 2T-G transplant (carburettors to minimise conversion difficulty/cost sunk in fuel system). Add extractors and exhaust. There's potential to rebuild to 1770CC/~1940CC as described above and some scope for forced induction if you're keen to spend the money on injection and turbo later. Remember the intial conversion will require attention to gearbox crossmember and tailshaft compatibility and potentially a differential upgrade. Engine crossmember will require modification and cooling may need to be upgraded.

Something like MA61 rolling stock would (in my opinion) suit your KE30's visual style and offer 14"x7JJ wheels for 205/60 tyres in a favourable offset.

Collect a good factory interior collection (should be out there, I scrounged a good one for my TA22), perhaps add some sporty late-model Corolla/Prelude/Integra/AW11/MA61 buckets and have brackets fabricated to suit.

I might have already spent more than $5000 but that's one way to approach a complete balanced package on $5000. A lot can be done to aid your budgeting if you're happy to wait for cheap parts to become available (ie. MA61 wheels, scavenge trim from cars when wrecked, search wreckers for good deal on bucket seats, wait for 2T-G on Toymods especially, 2T-G from wreckers is freaking expensive.)

God wrote too much hope this helps dude gotta sleep more Sleep
rEvoLuTiOn
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Wed, 25 February 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is 4dshow registered? with its 12A Turbo?
the 5000 is for the engine alone!!!
how much power will i extract from the 10A with simple mods
-exhaust
-mic
-new ECU
-filter
-other little mods

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Wed, 25 February 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well spa24hr all aluminium PP'd 10a's made up to 200hp.
aussie conventional 10a's made 100hp from the factory, back in the early seventies.

no doubt it would be an absolute shitter of an engine these days, without some crazy porting and huge turbo, even then your money would be better spent elsewhere.
rEvoLuTiOn
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Wed, 25 February 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what are my options in terms or rotary powered engines?

this is my main concern as of yet!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Wed, 25 February 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigh...

go and talk to an engineer. (or just phone them)
there is one in camden, Peter.L.Smith
http://www.psmitheng.com.au/

they will tell you what is legal and what is not, and what is required to get it engineered.

without talking to an engineer, you're pissing up the wrong wall Wink

you may also be on the wrong list, since toyota never made a rotary engine.

www.ausrotary.com may be better for your needs.

LOL, 5K? that might get you a reconditioned rotor Wink LOL, sucks that rebuild kits alone are 1-1.5K....

your options are not great since car never came with rotary, you'll prolly need to cut the tunnel to fit the gearbox, and the car doesn't weigh much.

Cya, Stewart
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Wed, 25 February 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes you will need to speak to an engineer.
if it officially weighs more than 870kg's you could squeeze a 13b in there, or a 12a.
whack in a 13b go nuts on the porting and rebuild once a week Laughing
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Thu, 26 February 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 24 February 2004 18:21

13B turbo LOL Laughing what is it with them and corollas lately?? have all the good geminis dried up?

Can you put the 13b turbo in a gemmy? i seen in Fast fours a 1600 with a 13b turbo that legal?
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Thu, 26 February 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rEvoLuTiOn wrote on Wed, 25 February 2004 17:37

so is 4dshow registered? with its 12A Turbo?
the 5000 is for the engine alone!!!
how much power will i extract from the 10A with simple mods
-exhaust
-mic
-new ECU
-filter
-other little mods

see http://ausrotary.dntinternet.com/forums/viewtopic. php?t=24308
and http://ausrotary.dntinternet.com/forums/viewtopic. php?t=27691

you'll need better seals to turbo the 10A, the stock 6mm carbons are good for one thing....the bin.

you'll be wise to convert to a single elec dizzy arrangement too.

just stuff in an extend port 12A. trust me, that'll whip ANY 4AGE you can put in it for the same money.

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: n00b question - engine options for KE30 Coupe Thu, 26 February 2004 14:05 Go to previous message
-=NiGz=- wrote on Thu, 26 February 2004 17:48

oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 24 February 2004 18:21

Can you put the 13b turbo in a gemmy? i seen in Fast fours a 1600 with a 13b turbo that legal?

Basically, in NSW, you can put a 13bt in anything heavier than about 1040kg.
But ofcourse you may see cars like mrn4sa which have been built before new laws, and although weighing much below 1000kg's, are legally 13bt powered
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agte questions
Next Topic:Clutch cylinder sizing to change travel
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:48:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005836009979248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.