AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  New Camry Fri, 16 August 2002 00:30 Go to next message
Just reading this article:

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/reviews/reviewstory .asp?ID=4114

Apparently, they're making it more "sporty" with firmer springs and shocks and even a strut brace!

It's gonna have the same 2.4L VVTi engine as the Tarago. The V6 will stay the same but there will be a hi po version (finally!).

Now, if only there was a RWD option.....
  Send a private message to this user    
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Fri, 16 August 2002 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad is involved in the national release of the new Camry so i can find out any info you guys want to know about. Yes there will be a sportivo model Camry, however the "hi po" version isn't as Hi po as you may first think. I'll check because i havnt really asked dad about it yet, but i'm pretty sure the sportivo only has the usual cosmetic changes with the addition of a 'special' exhaust that allows for around an extra 7hp or kw i can't remmember, but it's 7 somethings! I'll find out more and let you know.

André
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: New Camry Fri, 16 August 2002 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the article mentions something about the exhuast.

It's sad. Was expecting a bit more engine work... But at least there's some work as opposed to sticking a body kit on it and calling it a "Touring"...
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Camry Fri, 16 August 2002 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In case you missed it, this is a American Modified Camry I posted up

http://home.pacbell.net/psychors/camafter.jpg
http://home.pacbell.net/psychors/back1af.jpg
MC HyundaiTurboNacho
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: New Camry Fri, 16 August 2002 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve frost will love it mate, fully sick ay

*eats taco*

ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: New Camry Sat, 17 August 2002 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the look of the new camry's a lot. i was following one yesterday for a bit. I ddint think they were out yet, so it might have been being tested or something. Now if only it was RWD and the Sportivo came with a 3UZ-FE!!!
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: New Camry Sun, 18 August 2002 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The new Camry is based on the current Lexus ES300.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Camry Sun, 18 August 2002 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The solara convertibles look pretty good to.
I'd be the first to say i hate all types of camry's, but this one's looking quite sleek!

Thanks
Ben

PS- apprently the new camry's were voted Number one in the world for being the easiest car to wash!- now thats an award!LOL
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: New Camry Sun, 18 August 2002 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What a fine looking automobile.
big ass tailights.....sic
it is sad how so many cool cars have turned into front wheel bandits. Why have many car designers/whatevers chosen the front wheel option?? i dont like it No No No No No No
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Camry Sun, 18 August 2002 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front wheel drive - less power loss through the drivetrain hence better on fuel economy - General Public like fuel economy

FWD - Takes up less room hence - more room for the interior - once again general public like that.

FWD - Cheaper to manufacture the RWD or AWD - OBVIOUS!!

So all round its better for the general public but ppl that are into cars hate it

but i mean its designed to be a family car right ?? so fair enough thats its FWD

Smiley =
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: New Camry Sun, 18 August 2002 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front wheel drive is often chosen because it's more economical and cheaper to build than RWD, and at the end of the day, money matters more than driving pleasure.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Camry Sun, 18 August 2002 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beat u to it wizz fizz
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: New Camry Sun, 18 August 2002 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As i said before on the last post, I like it... Big ass tail lights to be replaced with fully sik clear ones... Did someone say rice hehehe hehehe hehehe ...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Camry Mon, 19 August 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How can it be based on the ES300? That is a RWD car?
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Mon, 19 August 2002 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD/RWD/AWD...

Has anyone ever driven an Alfa Romeo Sprint? My old man has one and they are FWD and would have to be the best handling car I have ever driven apart from my mates WRX (but that has the obvious AWD advantage). (To qualify that I havent driven a Porsche or Ferrari,etc but have driven a lot of main stream cars).

They go on rails - my point is sometimes FWD can be built to handle better than RWD because of the low centre of gravity but if you do lose it your f$%ked.

I am not saying that I dont like RWD though...used to love doing power slides in my old Alfa Alfetta (the most well balanced production sedan of its time because of the gearbox in the rear).

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Re: New Camry Mon, 19 August 2002 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You think that a WRX handles well?!?

My thoughts of the WRX aren't quite so flattering after I drove one. Understeering POS... Freak
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Camry Mon, 19 August 2002 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah true nark they are prone to understeer

but have u driven the STI's ?? they have more bias to the rear so they hug the corners like a mofo.....so i've heard.
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Mon, 19 August 2002 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max

Yeah I thought it handled well but as I said I havent driven any super cars or anything. Would you say your RA60 handles better than a rex?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: New Camry Mon, 19 August 2002 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manipulate, I'd love to drive an STi... I'd set the FR bias to 10:90 and have a blast... Wink

Toby, my car easily handles better than a WRX, but the suspension is hardly stock... I've never been beaten by a WRX (stock or modified) through the twisties, but 99% of WRX drivers can't drive...

At the end of the day, I'm not after a car that does fast times (I'm not racing), I want the most fun to drive, and for that nothing but a RWD cuts it.
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Mon, 19 August 2002 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking stock cars but it sounds like you have a very nice handling beast. I havent driven an RA60 so I have no idea how a stock one handles.

Agreed on the WRX drivers - a lot of mid life crises going on inside them Nod

Also agreed on the RWD, they are more fun to drive. I was just pointing out there are some positives to FWD, its not all bad.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: New Camry Tue, 20 August 2002 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock, even with the same power, a WRX would munch an RA60. Although, I did always beat WRXs when I had the 1G-GTE and stock suspension/wheels... Even in the rain. But I must reitterate about the driving abilities of WRX drivers.... Smile

FWD is OK if you want to go fast, especially when there's little grip and not much power/boost.

But you'll never see me owning a FWD. Up To Something
SteveGt4
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: New Camry Tue, 20 August 2002 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More pics can be seen here at http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthre ad.php?s=&threadid=67124124
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Tue, 20 August 2002 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 19 August 2002 7:51 PM

How can it be based on the ES300? That is a RWD car?

Jeez, someone should have told me before i started doing reverse dohnuts in the test mule ES300 we had then...

No jokes, the ES300 is definately FWD because i had about 15minutes of fun on the skid pan at my dads work with one of the test vehicles we had. (my dad does tests and releases of all of Toyota's/Lexus's new models.) Unfortunately i didn't have THAT much fun because of the little front wheel drive aspect. (you may have been thinking of a GS300).

FWD is a really good idea, it's generally safer for the general public and of course all of the previously mentioned plusses. If anyone wants to argue the safety apsect of a FWD VS a RWD i will be glad to rip your argument apart. I have sat in on MANY years worth of listening to my Dad's and his work partner's (Rick Bates) lectures on Vehicle dynamics and the like, and i pretty much have it down pat, so if anyone else (not mentioning any names) thinks they know it all i'd be glad to show you the light. Also any questions would be gladly answered.

And back to that WRX thing. If you think a stock WRX handles good, then i think it may be time to upgrade from the EXCEL... After doing many laps around various curcuits around Australia in various tunes of WRX, I find that unless they have AT LEAST a mild rear stabiliser on them, they are atrocious understeerers. Of course it is possible to drive them in a way so as to lessen the understeer during cornering, however then the vehicle will be cornering much slower than it's excellent chassis and driveline could otherwise handle with ease. You may find it hard to beleive, but back when my TA22 was stock-as-a-rock besides some stiffened King springs, it would easily out corner a stock WRX on any track i put it on, especially tighter curcuits like the old Wakefield.

Anyway, i probably sound like i'm bragging or something, which i'm not, just venting some info some of you might've not known. (With a bit of passion mixed in Wink )

André
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Tue, 20 August 2002 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andre

You are obviously looking for a sledging war with that Excel comment but I am not going to lower myself to your level. Thats not what the forums are for as far as I understand kiddo.

I have driven a stock TA22 and in my opinion the handling was very ordinary. I cant comment on individually modified beasts obviously. Please dont get all defensive TA22 owners, I have a stock Twinky (for now) and totally admit its not good on the bendy bits.

I dont own a WRX nor would I buy one but as Nark said a standard WRX would munch a standard RA60 , now I dont know that much abour sillycars (only just got into Toyotas) but are you saying the TA22 would be better than an RA60 on the bendy bits??
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Mon, 26 August 2002 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No i was not saying that, maybe you may have missed the part where i mentioned my car has quite stiff (and i should have mentioned substantially lowered) springs, so in this case yes, a little TA22 with the above mods would in most cases have better handling capabilities compared to a stock RA60. Also my cousin owned a stock RA60 about 3 years ago and unfortunately the suspension was slightly 'boatish' from the factory. I'm sure if you compared an RA60 with the SAME mods then the outcome may be of a different nature.
And about that excel thing. Did i mention anything about styling, build quality, driver satisfaction? No, i think not. If you would kindly re-read over my comment, all i was stating about the Excel was that they do not have a very performance oriented suspension setup as standard from the fatory, nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure if you were to spend some cash in the suspension and chassis department they would be quite a killer handling package.
In case you read my reply in the wrong light (which seems to be the case) you would not have noticed that apart from the excel argument i made that i now withdraw, i was very careful with my wording as to not offend anyone or anyone's vehicle. I was simply stating the facts and am sorry if i have offended anyone with any comments i have made.

André

[Updated on: Mon, 26 August 2002 07:58]

Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: New Camry Mon, 26 August 2002 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right well that clears it up a bit. I'll take you word for it that your machine handles better than a WRX seeing as I have never driven your car.

No you didnt mention styling, etc on an Excel, nor did I, so whats your point? In case you thought I was defending an Excel, let me make it quite clear that I would not be spending a red cent on one of those! Freak I have disliked those cars since first driving my mate's fathers about 7 years ago. Sorry Excel owners - although I can understand why some people buy them - cheap to get from A to B (to each his own I say).

I did re-read your comment and no you did not say anything about an Excel not having factory performance suspension!!! Confused I do agree with that comment but you did not say that at all. Rolling Eyes What you said was that I should upgrade from the Excel if I thought a WRX had good handling! Was that necessary? Nobody else made any derogatory comments they just said they didnt think a WRX handles well. I am here to learn more about cars not get paid out by a teenaged know-it-all. No I havent driven a million slightly different tuned WRX around circuits and as stated I have not driven supercars... I wasnt saying that WRXs have the best handling of all cars I was just stating that of the cars I have driven (quite a few Alfas, Fiats, Merc, Jag, Saab, Japs , Falcodores, etc - some of those Italian cars renowned for good handling amongst stock cars) I thought the Rex handled best.

Do yourself a favour and stick to helping people out if you know a lot about cars and not taking jibes at them or big-noting yourself.

Anyways as I said, I'm not here to have an argument so no hard feelings buddy.

Everyone else - sorry the thread has degenerated to this Yawn

[Updated on: Mon, 26 August 2002 08:38]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Camry Tue, 27 August 2002 08:05 Go to previous message
just had a good look at the burgandy "camry" posted on this thread - it looks nice - but i think the aussie new ones a little different isnt it - less sportyish ?? I dont mind the IS3000 also - though unsure if its FWD or RWD. I believe a factory TRD supercharger on them makes a hell of a difference

pity it isnt a RWD though - i do prefer the fact that my power and steering isnt coming from the same wheels in the ta22 - and feel a lot more confident driving it in the rain than i do my brothers TX3 laser .

To add to the ta22 vs ra60 thread - i have tried this out on a quick mountain run with a fellow celica owner - his is a ra65 though - both of us have similar suspension modifications done ( ie swaybars shocks etc ) and i was able to quite easily keep up with him in the twisties - but this could also come down to driver skill. Ive grown up in the hills - having bee raised 20 mins from the great ocean road - turny roads are the norm for me .. He was able to pull out of corners a little quicker ( more torque i think in his powerplant to mine ) but the celica had it into the corners + thru.

Having never been in a WRX , though having been in a GT4 Group A i can say that the Grp A Was lovely to be in around corners - the grip amazed me ! just turn it in - and let the AWD carry the car around . I have also followed said GRp A in a club run in my ta22 - and where i was having understeer issues ( a common ta22 gripe ) the GT4 just kept turning in .. Theres obvious advantages of that ssytem with a driver who REALLY knows how to use it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:nice ride
Next Topic:Free internet car advertising?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 22:01:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074338912963867 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.