Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

icon8.gif  more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 07:43 Go to next message
hey all,

okay, got this like noise as if the water pump is on its way out, so i replaced that today with a genuine Toyota one, noise is still there, took off the top cam belt cover and it sounds as if the clicking/ticking is coming from the cam gear sprockets! Rolling Eyes has anyone else had this problem? or know the noise I'm trying to describe?

as for another noise/knocking (bloody run down 7m's!) it seems to me that the auto is stuff, in P and N there is no knocking, but once you but it in to a gear you can hear this knocking noise which seems to be coming from the gbox i think.
only started the other day, the day before it happened i was kinda giving the car a bit of a hard time, manually shifting from 1st to 2nd and in to Drive, and holding it in 1st a for a while too, like taking off in first quick then just rolling back down to 15-20km then off again.

could this have caused the gbox to fail? what part could it be? and would it be easier to just get another auto/manual or is the one i have be cheap enough to fix?
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take the box to an auto mechanic, you may have damaged some internal parts.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no ideas on the other noise v8_ma61? Crying or Very Sad
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you sure its not a sticky lifter? do you run good oil?
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobile 1 full synthetic, well i thought it was good oil anyway.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try some moreys oil stabilizer and upper cylinder...if they dont help it, come back to us.

upper cylinder will help clean out any crap in your engine.

the moreys stuff is magic, dont ask me how it works though Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just recently my 7mgte has starting making a knocking noise in the head aswell! only happens after it warms up and seems to only make the noise at idle upto 1000rpm or so. I'm gonna change my oil to something thicker, at the moment i'm running 5w50 i think it's too thin in this tasmanian summer heat and is the cuase of my knocking in the head.

wow this is wierd, for the past few months there has been hardly any 7mgte posts on toymods, then all of a sudden bam! at least 3 ppl with 7m's all posting about strange knocking sounds in the head.

twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm interesting Neutral sounds like you have the same prob as me dingaling, but its more like a ticking/scrapping kinda noise?

mine doesn't really do it when its cold, but after you have warmed it up its there for the rest of the day till it cools down, comes and goes tho Rolling Eyes

v8_ma61, what is the stuff u speak of? u just put it with ya oil or something? and where would i be able to purchase it from? autobahn?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
autobarn/ supercheap/ repco...wherever.

Moreys you put in your oil..

Upper cylinder goes in your fuel
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spun big end bearing, number 5 Wink
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont tell me that 7m-brisbane, its not what i want to hear Nope maybe it is time to go the 1jz option Up To Something Smiley $$

[Updated on: Wed, 25 February 2004 20:31]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: more 7mgte noises Wed, 25 February 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you 100% sure it's not the crank pulley? These get loose and start ticking, then rattling, then falling off!
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no im not 100% sure, but the noise doesnt seem to be down the bottom, its sounds as if its the cam gears.

i tried to tighten the crank pulley but it kept turning, put it in gear and still didnt work, how do i stop it from turning when im tightning it?
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bolt can feel tight but the pulley can still be wobbling. Best thing to do it take the belts off it and see if you have any play in it at all.
I had a manual car and had no worries tightening it - but it didn't stop it rattling again.

Or just weld it on!!

[Updated on: Thu, 26 February 2004 06:08]

twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha, dodgy! (re: welding it on!)

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, dodgy but effective Very Happy . Especially if the crank is worn around the keyway, then your options are limited to welding it OR trying to pack it all up with shim, then welding, OR designing and making a super new woodruff key the fits precisely your worn crank, then welding!!
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, The ticking sound from the top could be tapet clearances? On another hand my 7M is making this sort of sound " " Hopefully on sat my 7M will be making this sort of sound "Prrrr". Good luck with your problem let us know what you come up with.

Thankyou

Matthew
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh man deffently not the tapets Sad
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A long screwdriver is your friend. With the car running and the noise happening, touch the screwdriver to different parts of the engine block and accessories. put your year to the other end, works like a backyard stethoscope.... you'll be surprised. This will help you find otu if the noise is top/bottom end and where the noise is coming from.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more 7mgte noises Thu, 26 February 2004 22:56 Go to previous message
hey 7m, thanks for that a mate actually done that last night and i was, wtf you doing lol

bought another water pump today, i reckon the other one was shotie, cos when ya take the water pump belt off, and crank the motor, no noise, put the belt that runs the water pump back on, there is it, back again... Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA23 doors same as TA22?
Next Topic:ra23 front suspension set up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:45:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051398277282715 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.