Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 03:47 Go to next message
hey all,

i have recently bought an SV21 Camry and had all of the suspension replaced. its handling like a dream at the moment, but unfortunately like most SV21's of its age, the exhaust is sounding ghastly. Now im left with the decision of getting the exhaust replaced with a stock exhaust or maybe going for a bit of extra performance with a sports exhaust, nothing too flash though, im after performance, not chrome. Any ideas of rough costs or parts would be appreciated, cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you could get a system from the cat converter back get a 2+1/4" pipe with a single muffler and an optional resonater if you dont want it to loud you will be able to get it done from any exaust shop for around $250 - $400 i reckon
but if you want to go the hole hog get extractors a strait threw cat then the pipe setup that i said above.

make sense? Laughing
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That sounds good, because like you said i dont want it too loud, im after a bit of a sleeper. ive got a few questions though. what sort of performance gains would i be likely to get out of that set up, and what would the price and performance be like on the extractors with the lot? thanks for your help btw
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds good, because like you said i dont want it too loud, im after a bit of a sleeper. ive got a few questions though. what sort of performance gains would i be likely to get out of that set up, and what would the price and performance be like on the extractors with the lot? thanks for your help btw
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you will notice a big performance increase because the stock exaust sytem would be very restrictive and probably have like 3 mufflers Rolling Eyes

so my advice is to save up and get the whole lot done extractors strait threw cat 2 + 1/4" pipe single sports muffler with a resonater at the back i got a 3" tip put on my resonater looks sweet

youd be looking at around the $800 reigon i think your best bet is to either ring up exaust places or go in there

you wont be disapointed with the sound/performance gain

keep in mind it wont be a v8 supercar with an exaust sytem

the other thing you could do is get a pod setup with cold air intake or ket a k&n panel filter and cai into the air box

ask about it when you ring exaust places they usually will do it (decent places) no k mart auto Razz

hope that helps
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
standard exhaust is already 2 and 1/4 inch all the way through, mandrel bent but still has 2 90degree turns in it with this huge muffler at the back

i was once quoted about $250 for exhaust, $700 if i wanted tuned extractors (headers) as well, this was from carline or something

what brand suspension did ya grab? cause im looking at KYB gear as a cheap-but-better-than-stock alternative (since mine is still stock shockies and springs... nearly 15 years young now!)
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought 2 1/2 would be a bit dronie on a na 4cyl ?

i just got some konis and king springs installed made a huge differnce on handling
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
concerning the performance gains, talk to Iceman. he has had a full exhaust system doen and netted some worthwhile gains
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Smile allright, i will try a few local exhaust places and see what their quotes are for both the extracted full system or just the after cat converter job. at the moment im thinking around $800 sounds like a good deal for extractors and 2+1/4" etc. the engine is 88Kw stock and at the moment is suffering from atleast one exhaust leak so im guessing i will see a significant boost. The only remaining obstacle after that is getting the ECU Chip replaced because it is playing up something shocking at the moment. someone suggested a celica chip for a bit of extra hp but im not sure if thats possible. thanks for your help too its appreciated
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what exactly is playing up on ur ECU?
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

im not 100% sure actually. i put the car into the local mechanic to get it looked over and this problem left them scratching their heads. $150 worth of diagnostic work later and the best they could offer was that they got some "strange voltage readings". i asked a few people and everyone is saying ECU chip is the problem. What basically happens is the car is VERY hard to drive slowly, as in through parking lots etc because slowly accelerating to about 1800rpm, the revs start jumping up and down erratically with a result similiar to stomping the accelerator to the floor and then letting it all the way out and then repeating at a fast rate. if i do this in neutral, i can make my revs jump up and down between about 800rpm and 3800 rpm without moving my foot at all. when this happens and the car is in gear, its whiplash central. i have no idea what it could be but like i said the "experts" reckon ECU
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

could anyone tell me what sort of performance gains in terms of Kw i could expect with the extracted exhaust set up?
westlife
Regular

September 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say 15kw @ flywheel.Around that figure I would hope.
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thats not too bad at all. ive seen the 3SFE 2L twin cam engine quoted as having 88Kw, but im not sure if thats at the wheels or at the flywheel, so considering its probably lost a few due to the crappy exhaust i have on it at the moment, i think that 15Kw at the flywheel would be a fairly noticeable difference. thanks for that
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Thu, 26 February 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would there be any particular brand of extractor that anyone could recommend?
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Fri, 27 February 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
genie should make one there nice extractors and are blue Very Happy

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Fri, 27 February 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard from a person in the auto industry that, they dont make genie anymore, but you can get others.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Fri, 27 February 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jinx,

Personally I would save my money and spend it on some new Tyres and wheels or suspension.

I think you would be lucky to get an extra 2kw out of a new + bigger exhaust ! And that would only be @ 5000rpm +.

Think about it : 88kw + 15kw =103Kw

Thats almost 20% extra !

I DONT THINK SO ! IF IT WAS THAT EASY WHY WOULDN'T IT COME FROM THE FACTORY LIKE THAT ?

Buy some nice 15" wheels with Bridgestones or Falkens + New Strut Inserts.

Safe driving !

T.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Fri, 27 February 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres some Info on A Camry Sv21 Very Happy :

Iceman wrote on Mon, 29 September 2003 23:32

ok i went from 60Kws to 66Kws with just a cat-back, and no1 would believe me that i would get over 70Kws by adding extractors and a K&N element filter.... but guess what... Very Happy

I DID.

73.5 Kws at the wheels!!!

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4lxm/camry.jpg

The Exhaust system is all 2 inch, but not with mandrel bends..... and a 2 1/4 inch cat. The problem with the sv21s is that the exhaust curls up round the driver's side rear suspension, which adds like 3-4 90degree bends. maybe cuz of that i should have gone 2 1/2 inches.....

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=21081&rid=3616&S=fc16918d637e04ca8eb73b0 980a93cbd&pl_view=&start=0#msg_187061

[Updated on: Fri, 27 February 2004 02:46]

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Fri, 27 February 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK Shocked thats the after graph, now lets see the before !

I'm not doubting you but where is the graph Before ?

Cheers
T.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Fri, 27 February 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2kw Rolling Eyes

have you ever seen a factory exaust system? , especially on a camry (something stupid like 3 mufflers and some very crap headers Razz) they make it like that from the factory so its quite and cheap.

they are SO restrictive

i know what i would be getting (and it aint wheels Rolling Eyes
)

each to there own
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Sat, 28 February 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a thought: get a mate, get them to drive your car as hard as possible, and follow just behind, having a listen to the vacuum cleaner noises the stocky pipe makes. You may even be horrified!
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Sun, 29 February 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate, im too scared to listen to my current exhaust at all, its such a piece of shit, its sounds like a thousand tin cans getting thrown down a flight of stairs, and thats from inside with the windows down. i will definetely be getting my exhaust replaced, mainly because my old one is completely buggered, so i might as well get a bit of extra performance out of it while im at it. to FWDCelica, i know what you're talking about with the wheels etc, but i just got all new macpherson struts and suspension bushes put on as well as four new tires. so now exhaust is taking a bit of priority Smile
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Sun, 29 February 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a 2 1/4 cat back system and only got 53.9kw on the dyno, so if you want the performance u would probably need to go extractors and a cold-air intake.
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Sun, 29 February 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only 53.9? thats a fair amount less than i would hope to see. is that before or after the cold air intake and POD?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Sun, 29 February 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, around 50kw@wheels is stock, 60kw@wheels with catback+filter, full 2-1/4" exhaust with extractors and high flow cat is 73kw@wheels, thats Manual, and Auto is slower Smile.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 February 2004 11:58]

CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: new exhaust for my SV21, any ideas? Sat, 10 April 2004 12:47 Go to previous message
Well my vague memories from when I did my whole exhaust system, I got Genie extractors with mandrel bent pipes. I ask about diameter and the exhaust guy said that since the tail of the extract is 2", you might as well have 2" all the way. I also had a hi flow cat and two resonators with a wide body turbo muffler because I wanted it as quite as possible.

When I dyno'ed my car against a comparitive stock Camry I calculated the engine was a factory rate 95Kw. At the wheel there was a 5-6kw gain on stock car.

My muffler now has a big bloody hole in it and it sounds like a V8! When I was young I thought it was cool to have a loud car but I find it embrassing having a conversation with my date in the car then to hit a hill and have a loud drone of an angry 3S-FE in the cabin.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5SGTE
Next Topic:Where is the Crank Angle Sensor on my 1JZ
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 20:45:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049340724945068 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.