Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kahless
Regular

December 2003

worst day Sat, 28 February 2004 12:57 Go to next message
Was on my way to work. Came to a roundabout All I could see to the right was big blinding ball of white what some people call the sun. So I started creeping foward out and bang. Hit an ancient ford metor.

This thing is full of rust and smells like petrol.

I pull over and get out. The woman has pulled over too. So I ask her if shes ok and start apollogising. She just starts screaming at me. Telling me its people like me in cars like mine that kill people. At this point I was thinking I sould have stayed in bed.

So I eventually get her to shut up long enough to exchange details. Half an hour later at work I get a call from her husband abusing me for not giving my insurance details. I didnt think I just said "But your car is worth less than my excess so, get me a quote and I'll pay it" He starts going on about how what I'm doing is illegal.
The truck driver of the truck I was unloading was starting to get the shits with me so I said get me the quotes and get back to me and hung up on him.

Do I have to give insurance details? I mean I checked redbook and the national average sale price is $600-1200. Worst comes to worst $1000 for something that wouldnt pass an emisions test doesnt seem bad to me. Its a single panel and the bumper thats damaged. Any suggestions I dont want to get in any trouble so if I have to go insurance i will but it doesnt seem worth it.
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they tell u its gonna cost $1200 to fix a $1000 car then tell the insurance company and they will write it off, that'll fuck 'em
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, as far as I can tell - generally speaking it can't hurt to give insurance details. If the guy wants to make a claim for the accident - then he'll generally require your insurance details. IF he is so fuck-witted that he decides to make a claim for damage that is worth less than his excess, then that's his problem (not yours).

Any accident where the approximate damage is more than about $1000 should be reported to the police within 24 hours (and I'm fairly sure it is illegal not to do so), this is so that there is a legal record of the incident - just in case the guy gets all bitchy later on and also to assess culpability in the case of insurance/legal disputes.

However - it IS COMPLETELY legal if you don't make your own insurance claim. Whether you make a claim or not is completely up to you, and in no way is it illegal for you to make that choice. If the guy makes his own claim it does not affect you. I'm not sure about whether his insurance company will take it up with your insurance company.

It sounds like the accident wasn't entirely your fault, any accident is at least partially the responsibility of the other party - even if you are supposed to give way to them. The *only* type of accident where complete fault can be apportioned to one party is if someone runs up the back of someone. The fact that your accident isn't a rear-ender works in your favour.

My advice would be to report it to the police anyway (can't hurt), and suck up to the guy and come to an agreement without resorting to insurance companies/legal disputes.

Then afterwards you can do whatever immature stuff (including drive-by egging) you want to his personal property to make up for the inconvenience.

(edit) And yes - there is the option of proving that the car is worth less than it would cost to repair, and the insurance company will simply pull an 'economic write-off'

[Updated on: Sun, 29 February 2004 01:55]

hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you do report it to the police they will take demerit point's off you and give you a fine.

You don't have to give insurance details out if you don't want to claim off your insurance your in control off the decision's.
Say if you didn't have insurance you would have to pay out of your pocket.

Good luck
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would they actually take points off you/give a fine? Probably because you didn't give way. Last time I had an accident I reported it and nothing happened - although there were no witnesses to the accident and there was no sign that I was breaking any road-laws either.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a cop CANNOT take demerits and fine you for reporting an accident, who ever told u that has rocks in his fucking head, or if it happened to u take it to court and get you money and points back cos that would never ever happen
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan wrote on Sun, 29 February 2004 13:39

a cop CANNOT take demerits and fine you for reporting an accident, who ever told u that has rocks in his fucking head, or if it happened to u take it to court and get you money and points back cos that would never ever happen

I would have to agree here... The cops were not there for one. And they would tend not to fine people in this situation otherwise no-one would report any accidents.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 29 February 2004 11:53

Any accident where the approximate damage is more than about $1000 should be reported to the police within 24 hours (and I'm fairly sure it is illegal not to do so),

Sorry, but after my mums car was hit by an uninsured altezza causing $8000 worth of damage, the cops couldn't give a flying fuck when we went to tell them, so I'm calling bullshit on this one.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Sorry, but after my mums car was hit by an uninsured altezza causing $8000 worth of damage, the cops couldn't give a flying fuck when we went to tell them, so I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Hmmm - that's interesting - can't say I've had the same happen to me. But from what I've read of the road regulations it's required that any non-minor accident be reported within 24 hours of the crash. Could be different states regulations? Dunno.

It may be my dud call.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 29 February 2004 16:07

Quote:

Hmmm - that's interesting - can't say I've had the same happen to me. But from what I've read of the road regulations it's required that any non-minor accident be reported within 24 hours of the crash. Could be different states regulations? Dunno.

It may be my dud call.

Mmmm..... I should point out though that noone was hurt and traffic wasn't being held up, so that might have been it too. But then again, cops are cops if you know what I mean. Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jus tell him you dont have insurance
and that you will pay for costs for his car if they are legit

easy
Smile

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to his house and burn it...no proof it ever saw ur car
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: worst day Sun, 29 February 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Sun, 29 February 2004 17:38

FWDboy wrote on Sun, 29 February 2004 16:07

Quote:

It may be my dud call.

Mmmm..... I should point out though that noone was hurt and traffic wasn't being held up, so that might have been it too. But then again, cops are cops if you know what I mean. Very Happy

In my case the cops didn't want to know about it. Unless a car has to be towed away or someone was injured then you don't have to report it. The total $$$ damage is irrelevant unless the first two points applied (which in your case it didn't as far as I can tell).

This is for NSW only, other states might have different rules...
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: worst day Mon, 01 March 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep thats exactly what I thought... if both cars can still be driven and nobody is hurt then the cops don't want to know about it.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: worst day Mon, 01 March 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pay me and ill burn it for you Razz
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: worst day Wed, 03 March 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i had a guy change his mind at the last minute in front of me and stop instead of merging onto a highway into a gap he could have easily fit into. i was scoping out that same gap when he changed his mind and i returned my vision to the front of my car a second later and to my unpleasant surprise, his car was about 2 metres away from mine, and im going 15km/h. so i hit him, jump out of my car and put the bumper back on his budget piece of shit daewoo lanos. the damage to his car was almost nothing, the hyundai excel i was doing deliveries in was not in such good shape. at any rate, i exchanged details and i went to the cops, even though he was happy not to involve the police (unfortunately i had to because i was told by the company i was delivering for that it was necessary for insurance). i filled out an accident report form and about 3 weeks later was served with a fine for neg driving, apparently, the police decided i was following too closely, even though i was a fair distance away from him. $170 and 1 point (1/4 of my licence) later. i felt a bit hard done by. i mean, i didnt do anything wrong that i could see, it was simply bad circumstances that caused the accident. at any rate, the reason behind this short novel is that i would be careful about telling the police because they have been known to fine people whether they know what happened or not.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: worst day Fri, 05 March 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think if you run up the back of someone. You have a very high chance of getting neg driving. Because you are supposed to leave enough distance to stop. Also, if you were looking at a gap and not paying attention to whats happening in front, then you are driving with negligence.

I think neg driving is a bit of a sucker punch though
3 points is a shitload of points when compared to speeding. You need to be going more then 15kmh faster than the speed limit to lose 3 points.

I heard a story about a guy who was on his P's(3 points) and he was at a friends house. He had left the windows down cause it was a hot day. When he got back in his car and started driving, a cat that had jumped in the car got frightened and jumped on him. This then scared the shit out of him causing him to lose control and crash into a parked car. They slapped neg driving on him and he lost his license because it was also a double demerit weekend.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: worst day Fri, 05 March 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you were creeping forward really slowly. they should have been able to see you. and due to them driving a really bad car (a ford) they may have decided to crash into you. If you can somehow prove this, you could claim for damage to YOUR car from THEIR insurance

Also you could say that you were almost stopped. And a guy that I know who works in insurance says that if you run into a stopped car, even if it is in the middle of the road. Then the driver of the moving vehicle is mainly at fault and liable for damage
MR2GTS
Newcomer

March 2004
Re: worst day Fri, 05 March 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure how it is in other states, but basically if you are involved in an accident and both party can drive away from the scene. You do not have to report this to the police. I know this for a fact because the police officer told me. You don't have to report to the police unless an offense has been committed. Such as hit and run.

All you need is to exchange your personal details and go through your insurance company.

But if you hit someone from the behind, its your faulty automatically unless you can prove otherwise. Such as they slammed on the breaks for no apparent reason.

They sound like f**k wits and they probably try and milk you for as much as they can. Best to go through insurance company
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: worst day Sun, 07 March 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If someone is hurt and or a tow is necessary then the cops MUST be contacted. (NSW)

As for insurance, not at all. Just exchange details. It's up to them to decide to make a claim, and their company to find yours. Then if you haven't made a corresponding claim they will contact you regarding the acco.

I know this as multiple people used to drive into my Range Rover, usually with the excuse "I didn't see it" WTF? with no damage to me and so I wouldn't bother to claim but had to answer questions anyway to refute the other parties claim.
Kahless
Regular

December 2003

Re: worst day Sun, 07 March 2004 12:27 Go to previous message
cops didnt give a toss... I figured if she suddenly started having back pain or something I better have a record of it so I went to the cop shop and they said dont worry. You pay up and all is good.
Its been over a week now and I havent heard back from them maybe they suddenly moved state Very Happy or no panel beater wants to even look at the car - I had that problem after someone ran up the back of the camry. All too busy come back later.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I could cry....no more pristine MA61
Next Topic:Impound and defect laws
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:21:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053749084472656 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.