Toymods » Tech & Conversions » engine conversion for a ae86

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

icon10.gif  engine conversion for a ae86 Sat, 17 August 2002 05:25 Go to next message
Hey all,

Just wondering what your oppinions on the best engines to put into a sprinter are?

i know most people go the 4a-ge or gze but is there anything else that fits in there thats worth the trouble? I presume a gte would fit? anything else? has to be something reliable, a bit of power, relativley easy to install + parts etc

[Updated on: Sat, 17 August 2002 08:34]

Send a private message to this user    
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Sat, 17 August 2002 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guess the good thing about the AE86 is that a lot of engines will fit, depending on your wallet size. Grin Some of the more exotic ones I've seen include SR20's, 3gtse's etc apart from the usual 4age's, 20v 4age and 4agze's.

There is a reference chart on the Toymod's club page showing what you can cram in somewhere in the article section.

Also, if you haven't checked out the Club 4AG web page, here are some of the engine variations amongst the 4ag family:-

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/heav y_modifications.htm

For me personally, I've based my decision on the following article:-

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Pros %20and%20Cons%20of%204A-GE.htm

Guess I'm like you in that I wanted something practical, cheap & cost effective so I've settled on an original 4age blue hat given that you'd have to source additional parts for a red hat conversion (ie. RWD manifold), the 4AGZE tears through gearboxes (unless you can find a Supra W55 box) and the 20V in terms of aftermarket ECU tuning can be a nightmare.

Then again, I'll probably find myself lusting for more power in a couple of month's time ... Nod

If I'd wanted absolute power, I'd go for the 4AGZE but bear in mind that an AE86 chassis performs better around the 140 bhp mark or so according to the Jap's ...

Hope this helps ... cheers!
fergo308
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Sun, 18 August 2002 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best engine for your car entirely depends on what sort of driving you want to do.

to sum it up very briefly:

*88kw 4AGE -best allrounder. decent power,good flexibility,easy install. should see ~60kw atw.

*GZE -most torque,best pull off the line.hard on the driveline,
limited to 100kw ATW with std S/C. SC14 should go to about 140 I believe. fairly easy to fit.

*20V - most revhappy and flexible choice. biased towards the top end,std rev limit of 8300. not good for drags,best suited to track work or fast street. should put down ~75kw atw if setup properly. difficult install,and expensive to get running at it's best.

Justin...

thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Sun, 18 August 2002 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that guys... ok...i got 1 question i have been dying to ask lol, it aint really related to this hahaha but still....

How many kw's does it take till u notice a diference?

like say you got 60 at the wheels, will 65 feel heaps more powerful or will 88 just feel a little bit more powerful?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Sun, 18 August 2002 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, thing is, almost anything can fit into almost and car, should you have the $... Whether the result will be good is another matter! How much do you want to spend, and how much grunt do you want?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Mon, 19 August 2002 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SGTE Smile
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Mon, 19 August 2002 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ur comparing the 4ac to the 4age there is a huge difference.
4ac feels gutless
4age feels heaps better with much more power
although not huge power

if u want a real quick car u are gonna want 4agze
if u want a nice car to drive around that has a bit of punch then the 4age is fine.
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Tue, 20 August 2002 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinking 3-5g at the max so yeah, nething in there would be good...mind you i don want insurance beig $5673568 lol, its through a business so is way cheaper neway so i guess it isnt much of a worry
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine conversion for a ae86 Tue, 20 August 2002 07:49 Go to previous message
My bet is GO the GZE then man!
$5k should be enough to do this conversion no sweat!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA23 throttle linkage
Next Topic:Will FC3S front brake fit in AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 04:22:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09495997428894 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.