Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Sun, 29 February 2004 04:14 Go to next message
I know there are a few custom bellhousings available for adapting the 4AG block to the W5* gearbox, but can it not be accomplished using the standard W bellhousing and modifying it?
If you make a new backing plate and redrill the bolt holes to fit the 4AG pattern, what other issues need to be dealt with? The input shaft is the same between the W50/5 and the T50 isn't it?

I did a search on this but couldn't find this question, so forgive me if its been asked before.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Sun, 29 February 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mrsbitch,

I'm doing the same thing but mine is a 4AGTE to W50 using the W50 bellhousing. Basically this is because i want to use the 4AGZE clutch and it wont fit in the Dellow or T50 bellhousing not to mention a much stronger/reliable driveline.

I havent done it yet, but i do have some good information from someone who has done this exact conversion.

The input shaft is different. The W50 is much fatter but the spline is the same size as the 4AGZE clutch plate and apparently the 4AG spigot bearing is the same. Cant say i tried the T50 spline on the 4AGZE clutch plate but i think it is smaller.

The method of location is via a 10 - 12mm plate which bolts to the 4A block then the W50 bolts to the plate. Some points may require either a stud to be used or a thread cut into the plate.

5mm is shaved from the front of the W50 Bellhousing. This combined with the slightly taller 4AGZE flywheel helps to put the clutch fork' throw where it needs to be.

This is a rough overview. I havent done mine yet so i dont know if there are any intricate little problems. The info i have i got from a fella on Toymods called TA22-3SGTE he's done it and gives it two thumbs up. So he might be able to help you with more detail.

Rex

mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Sun, 29 February 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm also doing the 4AGTE build using a Garret T3 watercooled turbo and a W50 or 55.
I'm using a JUN 4AGE flywheel and the Exedy OEM 4AGE clutch so it sounds like the input shaft from the W50 will be too big.

I've never done any transmission work before. Can I swap the input shaft from a T50 or will I need to get the W shaft machined? How do I determine where the clutch fork throw needs to be?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Sun, 29 February 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a new clutch plate.
mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Sun, 29 February 2004 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read in another thread that the AGZE clutch plates that are available are crap.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Sun, 29 February 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's no reason you can't use an adapter plate/mod the housing, so long as everything is carefully measured, accurate and in line. Next time I try to swap a gearbox, I'll be doing this instead of buying Bogan Bellhousings (TM) finest...
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Sun, 29 February 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the exedy 4age clutch plate is no different to the daikin clutch plate, and the exedy/daikin 4agze clutch plate would be no worse than their 4age clutch plate. It's the pressure plate you have to worry about the most, and you might want to look into a puck clutch if you will be running a moderate amount of boost.
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Mon, 01 March 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FS: t-50 bellhousing to W5* gearbox adapter kits, expression of interest / order

A recent thread about banishing t50's.
post your interest here

dodgydan
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AG to W5* using the original W bellhousing Mon, 01 March 2004 05:09 Go to previous message
I bought one of these:
http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60110

Cost was $316 AUD all up including shipping to AUS, the bellhousing uses a 4ag flywheel and pressure plate, with a clutch plate to suit the W series input shaft. It also uses the W series clutch fork and the W series throwout bearing.

Not a bad deal when the price is compared to Dellows and Nitepartz...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:turbo 4A-FC?
Next Topic:IS200 race car build up pix
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:19:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064430236816406 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.