Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » big turbocharger?!?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
big turbocharger?!? Wed, 25 February 2004 09:41 Go to next message
Im now getting ANOTHER turbocharger for my 3tgteu, as the air research(slightly smaller than a T25) performs even worse than the ct20 (more low end, no top end), the m10 airresearch is now off the engine again! - long story.

Im now looking at getting a t04e??? off of a Series 4 RX7.
A HT-18s-2s, they apparelty have a 50mm inducer, 60-70mm exducer, dont know what the A/R is, but the exhuast has twin scroll, with a gate, primery a/r is .4 and sec is .6 so the A/R is 1.0 when the gate is open and .4x when it is spooing, dual A/R design to reduce lag. APPARENTLY!

anyone know anything about these turbos and what sorta lag/performance would one expect, i'd be looking at running 7-8psi, what would i do to get the extra fueling? i'd be chucking this on plus a intercooler(s4 intercooler infact!), already have full 3" manderal exhuast.
  Send a private message to this user    
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: big turbocharger?!? Wed, 25 February 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://wwww.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/62/2925162_full.jpg
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: big turbocharger?!? Wed, 25 February 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.0 A/R is very big for a 1.8L.. Not only that but you only want to run 8psi.
As its off a rotary, they flow buckets of air hence the big A/R..
Just too big buddy in my opinion..
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: big turbocharger?!? Wed, 25 February 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep ,too big for what you want to do, unless you can spool it faster by shutting down one side of the exhaust turbine? Personally, I'd be looking for either a bronze or ball bearing T28 off a 200SX/Silvia, or a very small A/R T3.
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: big turbocharger?!? Thu, 26 February 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys, the idea is, that when you are spooling the turbo, the secondary gate is closed, so the totel A/R is .4, then when the manifold vacume becomes positive, the secondary opens and makes the A/R 1.0 in totel, i believe this is progressive and if you timed it right on a 1.8l im sure you could get away with no wastegate at all, or could simply disable the gate or even block up the secondary runner, making the A/R .4x all the time.

I will be running 8psi or so until fueling is sorted out, then I will see how far i get on the stock pistons, then full rebuild, the compressor side is too aggressive also? should make around 200hp at 8psi?

[Updated on: Thu, 26 February 2004 00:17]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: big turbocharger?!? Thu, 26 February 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I've heard alot of guys talk about gating a twin entry turbine housing, never seen one done though. Do it, show us pics, and give us details?!!!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: big turbocharger?!? Thu, 26 February 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have the dual-entry mechanism with the turbo it MIGHT work ok, but at the end of the pay it's designed to work with a peaky 2.6 litre engine... I reckon it will be lag city on a 3T-GTEU.

Having said that, I'm using one on my 18R-GEU. Bring on the lag! Laughing
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: big turbocharger?!? Thu, 26 February 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 26 February 2004 14:42

If you
Having said that, I'm using one on my 18R-GEU. Bring on the lag! Laughing

Ahhhhh lag maybe, but when it comes on boost............... Very Happy
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: big turbocharger?!? Thu, 26 February 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its on its way, will attempt to document if i can get hold of my camera again,
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: big turbocharger?!? Mon, 01 March 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha you guys were right, got it a day or two ago, WAY TO BIG! - compressor side is almost perfect but the bloody exhuast side is way oversized, doesnt even fit probebly in the engine bay. hits the block using standard manifold.

Now i have availible to me a rb20det ceramic ball bearing turbo, is this bastard gonna perform better than the ct20 @ 7psi?(will raise in future up to around 10-12psi)

you guys deffinatly know what your talking about, this time im listening if you say its no good im not getting it.
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: big turbocharger?!? Mon, 01 March 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah they are pretty huge hey Smile

As for recommending another turbo, there are many threads on this.. In short it will perform better than the ct20 yes and will be good for 14psi (any more and it starts to drop off)
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: big turbocharger?!? Mon, 01 March 2004 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rb20det ceramic ball bearing will spool up by 3k full boost yeah? its not going to make much more than the ct20 at stock boost tho is it?

what about the rb25det turbo, i know on the rb20 it creates a bit of lag..
lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: big turbocharger?!? Tue, 02 March 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about getting an upgraded ct-26?
twinturbo86
Regular

June 2003
Re: big turbocharger?!? Tue, 02 March 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try a vg30 rollerbearing turbo
i put one on my mates ca18 and its not as laggy as u may think.
JZK25
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: big turbocharger?!? Tue, 02 March 2004 09:02 Go to previous message
I fitted an RB20 turbo to my 3TG but unfortunately it was DOA(crack in core) so I had to think again as I had spent considerable hours making adaptors for the garrett. I bought a series 4 turbo and had the exhaust housing of the nissan garrett machined to make a hybrid, it worked well and had the scope for easy upgrades because of the garrett(hitachi) base(TO4 compressors etc.) At the time(4 years ago)I wasn't aware that the 7MGTE CT26 would have fitted with little drama. I would have gone that way in hindsight.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Which engine will i choose? Help needed for decisions...
Next Topic:Power Mirrors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:20:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049870014190674 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.