Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3T GTE crank angle sensor?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
icon3.gif  3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 12:23 Go to next message
Hi all,
I want to get rid of the dizzy and coils from my 3T GTE. Its currently running on a Microtech system so that side of it is ok.

But, what have people used as a crank angle sensor and how is it fitted? Is there something that fits onto the main crank pulley easily?
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't there pickups in the base of the standard dizzy?
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah there are. Its what I'm using now, BUT as I said I want to get rid of my dizzy altogether so I need a crank angle sensor instead.

Simon
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do you want to get rid of the dizzy all togeather? You can just pull the cap off and put a dummy cap over it?
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to make way for a custom intake manifold so the dizzy has to go.

Simon
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ok now worries Smile
physh
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changing the intake to put a front mount intercooler in?

I'd be interested in finding out how you do it, I've got the same thing... Smile
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only other way is to make 2 pickups on the crank

bit fiddly but can be done

u need to weld 2 tabs on the crank pulley (180 degrees apart) for cylinder pulse
and use a magnetic pickup for that

then u need a single tab welded on cam somehow and have no2 pickup read that for cyl reference

if u dont understand what i mean then get someone to do it
because it has to be very accurate otherwise it wont run right

another thing is can u cut down the dizzy or is it still in the way

i recon its easier to modify the intake than try fuk round with pickups on the crank especially if u dont know what to do

cut the dizzy down so as u dont stuff the electronic sensors inside it then make the manifold around that
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 01 March 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what I run for my Autronic 3T-GTE which is running a direct fire ignition system with 4x twin coil packs and MSD DIS-4. :

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/stuff/crank%20angle.jpg

I can put you in contact with the person who made up the trigger disc and collar to hold in place. Also supplys a mount that bolts to the timing cover to hold the sensor.

Cheers
Joel
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Tue, 02 March 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey joel hows things

thats only one signal for the cylinders
it is 2 pulses every crank revolution

that do u use for the reference signal as u need this signal for runnin multiple coils

are u runnin the dizzy aswell

im starting to wirte up my 1uz joel should bne in my ute in about 2 months
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Tue, 02 March 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel,
What you have is pretty much what I'm looking for. I just thought it would have many more reference points than that.

Can u send me the contact details of the guy that makes them?

Thanks,
Simon
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Tue, 02 March 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You dont need more than 2 reference points to run direct fire waste spark ignition with dual post coils.

Cool1: The 3TG dizzy is a bit more primitive than the later toyotas, they had a fuel only ECU & the ignition side of things was controlled via a conventional mechanical advance distributor with ign retard built in to the design for boost, so you cant use the dizzy base as a crank angle sensor, there is no home reference (TDC #1 cyl)

Cheers
Phil

TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Tue, 02 March 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72,
I'm currently using my dizzy as a crank angle sensor. Its on a microtech system, I don't know how it knows the reference for #1 cylinder but it works fine.

I just want to get rid of the dizzy to make way for a custom intake.
To run fun sequential injection, how many pick up points are needed?

thanks,
Simon
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Tue, 02 March 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any advantage of having a trigger disc with as many pickup points as in the attached pic?

Simon
http://www.electromotive-inc.com/triggerkits/pics/honda2.jpg
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Tue, 02 March 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey sideshow how you been mate?

Yeah the disc on the crank has 2 lugs is only for the crank angle. I then have all the guts ripped out of the dizzy, its basically just the housing and shaft. Then I put the autronic sensor in the dizzy housing with 1 lug on the shaft for reference signal.

1UZ should be cool!

TA22 GT - PM me for details.
ae8620v
Regular

March 2004
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Sun, 07 March 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have looked right into this as i built a very serious 3t for racing, the more pickups the more accurate it is, i modified a 3t dizzy and rotary crank angle sensor and ended up with a small compact dizzy worked well
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Sun, 07 March 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae8620v: Did you still run twin spark?
ae8620v
Regular

March 2004
Re: 3T GTE crank angle sensor? Mon, 08 March 2004 08:37 Go to previous message
i only ran single spark cause i knew it would work, i was just starting to play with the twin spark, i was only ever for emission's in the first place but i did want to get them to fire at the same time, i still have a couple of engines sitting around so i may try it and see what happens
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 coil over question
Next Topic:Stuck
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:03:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058050155639648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.