Toymods » Tech & Conversions » playing with ems and now won't hold idle

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
praetor
Regular

October 2003
playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 04:54 Go to next message
I admit I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cars...
anyway, I was fixing some electrical problems with the turbo timer in the car (which i fixed fine btw)
anyway, at the same time curiosity took the better of me and i was just *looking* though the settings in the ems computer.
well i must have changed something cause now the car wont idle. you have to hold ur foot down on the throttle or it dies Sad
the computer is an ems duelsport
any idea what ive done? and what i need to fix?

Learning is normally fun...except when you have to catch the bus cause you stuffed up Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i aint too familiar with this, but try disconnecting your + wire from ur battery and connect it a few hours later....start it up and see how she runs. This could update the settings (stuffed up or not) and should be able to find it's idle.

someone confirm me about this?
twinturbo86
Regular

June 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
disconnecting the battery wont reset a ems computer
where abouts were u looking. settings or maps or somewhere else
if you changed something u would have had to hit the enter button to save the change. give me some more info and maybe i can help ya. what sort of engine are we talkin about ??
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the settings -
the TPS wasn't working as one the wires in the loom was broken. so i ran another cable and then told the computer to it. so i was in the settings doing that. yes i know you have to press enter to save it...i dont think i touched anything but maybe i did
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thinking about your problem, i dont think you have changed any maps or anything like that, generally because the menu you would have been in to adjust tps settings would be the setup menu, so nor would you have maybe turned off a axillary idle speed controler, my hunch is that maybe you might have changed the settings on the computer of the number of teeth in your magnetic pick up causing the input figures into the computer to be all haywire, how does the car run when you have your foot on the accelarator, normal, or diff(if so how)?
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sometimes it sounds like its missing, but other times just rough... im going out now to write down all the settings.
does anyone know how to go about hooking it up 2 a laptop to save everything? i tried it on the weekend but didn't get anywhere. im thinking it might be a parallel connection not serial?
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I think I may have fixed it, but since the voltage is around 9v I'll be waiting till my mate comes over with jumper leads so I can start it (for some dumb reason the guy who did the engine conversion wanted to leave an auto gearbox in it)

I changed the AUXOP1 setting to mode 12 (idle control) as I seem 2 remember it being there before. If that doesn't work I'll post the other options in case you can see something obviously wrong.

General question - how does the computer control the idle? I thought it was done manually by controlling how far open the throttle is at 0%
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To my knowledge you have to send the duel sport box of to ems for em to enable a laptop hookup to save everything, or something along those lines.
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you Still have problems with it ring dyno dave at premier auto center in mt druitt he is an ems guru.
By the way what is this running on ie: car/motor.

P.S didn't your mum tell you as a kid if its not broke don't fix it No No No

Cheers
BEN
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Tue, 02 March 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol like i listened though Wink

its running on an st162/3sgte
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Wed, 03 March 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fixed now Smile (kinda)

I told the ems to ignore the TPS and now it starts fine
however...

when i re-wired the TPS I didn't bother wiring it back into the original computer, except that it must be needed by the computer for the auto gearbox. Now my car has 2 speeds - idle and 'rocket mode'. The gearbox changes gears at 5000rpm, if your doing 50 and touch the accellerator to goto 60, the car jumps down the 2nd gear and revs to 3000rpm. So to make the car go anywhere involves putting ur foot down which is cool, but then ur driving at 120.

Anyway, thats not a problem - I'll just wire it back upto the comptuer, the problem is why does the car not idle with the TPS enabled? It works! When you dont have foot on it it says 0%, on the floor it says 100%

Any ideas?
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Wed, 03 March 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Becaus you haven't programed the computer to run in tps mode so it proberly has no mapping done, Take the car to a dyno and get them to tune it in tps mode and your problem will be fixed.
Or JUST LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE Very Happy Very Happy
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: playing with ems and now won't hold idle Wed, 03 March 2004 21:27 Go to previous message
leave it alone Shocked

wheres the fun in that?
thats what I thought the diagnosis would be...thanks guys Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:aw11 engine swap
Next Topic:Exedy Clutches ... Opinions?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 17:38:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071589946746826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar