Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 10:52 Go to next message
Got a question for you all. When doing cold air induction down to the lower front of the car, do you have any problems with sucking up water? Or is the setup not that well sealed? Like, if you drive through a foot of water, will your intake suck water into your engine?
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when it utterly POURED down recently, and the roads got bogged in hell deep water, the splash up into my CAI was enough to drench my filter and stall the car. i had to limp (stuttering the whole way) to a servo and use their air compressor to blow the filter dry...
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could fix the problem by putting a vertical S bend in the pipe to the filter, if you have the space of course, that would stop most water getting up even a straight vertical length would probably help. I think *shrugs*
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, isn't your filter in a box?
What if the end of the pipe is submerged? Would it suck the water up?

Also, if you put the S-bend in, what happens when the S-bend gets full, and the other end is submerged?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A guy i know has an XR6-T and they apparently have a CAI right down near the front of the car. In the last decent amounts of rain he went through some 30cm high water and proceeded to digest 3/4 litre of water through the filter into the engine... luckily ford covered it under warranty Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you cut a hole in the bonnet, then set up a plastic thingy to pipe in the cold air, would that work? ie:

http://www.artema.com.au/void/stuff/toymods/Cold-Air-Setup.jpg

Or is that just over the top?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what bonnet vents are supposed to be there for. I've seen a set up like that, that was set with a magnetic catch which closed the vent when it was raining.
Other wise I think you'd be more worried about spray going in the filter and then once wet enough into the engine rather than sucking up water like a straw. If your using that A/C style flexable piping as you feed pipe I think it would collapse before it sucked water like that.
ae82rollaboy
Regular

May 2003
Re: Cold air induction Tue, 02 March 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nimrod,

just piss the airbox off and get a pod Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are talking about a pod... Rolling Eyes
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem with that Roman is that your then sucking in hot air from the engine bay, rather than a nice cool charge from the air. Also, I hear cops go defect happy with exposed pod filters.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 08:28

That's what bonnet vents are supposed to be there for. I've seen a set up like that, that was set with a magnetic catch which closed the vent when it was raining.
Other wise I think you'd be more worried about spray going in the filter and then once wet enough into the engine rather than sucking up water like a straw. If your using that A/C style flexable piping as you feed pipe I think it would collapse before it sucked water like that.

If you make it all fairly vacuum tight, then wont it just stall when going through water? Or do you just make the setup in such a way that it can suck in air from alternate sources?
Also, as mentioned before, if you put an S-bend in your piping I don't think you would have to worry about water spraying into your filter. I would be more worried about water spraying into the bonnet vent induction setup.

Lambolica, how did that vent close? Swith inside the car? Or did it have some kinda rain detectors like the Jags do?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bloke who did the closing bit was an "aquantance" of mine some years back who owned a Cordia and had a fibreglass intake vent that stuck up from the bonnet. after doing work to the car he wanted just a hole in the bonnet trimmed with stainless steel but was worried about rain just falling in and filling the filter box. After a night on the piss at my place piss farting around with my old RA40 interior. I mentioned that he should make a flap that covered it with a kink in the front edge of the flap so when going at speed the flap was lifted by wind pressure letting in more air. He was rather excited by this but found the obvious flaws in that concept, and questioned me more on ways around that. After a myriad of leaver concepts and pulleys and servos he came up with a magnet setup. After that I didn't see him for a few months but when I did again he had done it! I was shocked. Basically there was the flap which was a squarebox thing that either took air from above the bonnet when open and fell below the filter box when closed pulling air from the engine bay. the magnet setup was a little beyond me but it was along the lines of two electromagnets one that held it open the other held it closed run by a switch in the car that simply reversed the polarity of the magnets. opening and closing it. it was cool when he shut the car down as the vent flopped shut.

He wrote the car off in the wet a few weeks later
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't the setup in my diagram work fine though? Your not likely to get any water splashing up from that.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll get some no matter what, small enough water particles will follow the air flow Smile the normal down the front must work alright otherwise people wouldn't do it all the time?
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cold air induction muahhahahahahaahahah!
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: Cold air induction Wed, 03 March 2004 12:09 Go to previous message
just put a cai on my camry and DAMN does it run nice now Very Happy Very Happy . the funny thing is i ended up using the stupid silencer that was slowing me down in the first place as a scoop. worked like a dream
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz won't start
Next Topic:Extractor coatings
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:00:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048930644989014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.