Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 10:44 Go to next message
Hi guys, i just wanna upgrade my 1987 corolla engine and have heard how the the 4-AGE and 4-AGZE are. How much would they set you back?

I was told by a mate that i could fit a rb20 or and rb25 into it for about $4000-$5000. They come from the Nissan SX200 range. The RB25 is a twin turbo 2.5L with around 170kW. Is he crazy?

What are the specs of the 4-AGE and 4-AGZE?

Thanx guys.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 March 2004 10:45]

Send a private message to this user    
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last time i checken an RB25 was single turbo.... and as for fitting an RB of any description into a corolla..... is your mate a wog by any chance?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think your friend might just be on crack!!! Laughing
Man, now that is something i would like to see Shocked an rb25 in a rolla.

Will you be putting it in the back seat?

4agze is the best option. Lots of power and heaps of potential.

get the newer 4agze. 165hp
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL Laughing Laughing He's half italian other part aussie. How much would the new 4-AGZE cost?

Might have to extend the front to fit in the rb25 Confused Just a guess
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget the whole RB25 and go the 4AGZE
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 22:02

Might have to extend the front to fit in the rb25 Confused Just a guess

extend?? we are talking a FWD 1987 corolla here aren't we??

i would LOVE to see someone mount an RB25 transverse AND fit a gearbox onto it LOL Very Happy

that said there are RB2x's in early corollas.. with about a foto of the engine in the passenger compartment Wink

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it all depends on money

more money then go for gze
more power
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae92 1/2 cut will set you back around $2000-$2500

ae101 1/2 cut around $2500+
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets try and raise the bar here people. What follows are the opinions of only one forums user and not Toyomds in any way.

[/FRUSTRATION VENT]

You, my friend, are a bonehead and your mate, a bonehead. Rex would suggest that instead of polluting my beloved tech forum with complete crap you do some research. The Search button can perform miracles in that it can transform complete dickheads into informed users who are capable of asking valid and worthwhile questions.

The 4A-Whatever into AE82 has no doubt been covered plenty of times before. Search then come back with a proper question.

Nissans RB25DET is not twin turbo, the only twin turbo in the RB family is the RB26DETT. See that?, the 'T' in Nissans nomenclature signifies Turbo, T is for Turbo. Notice how the RB20DET and RB26DETT codes differ. Spend a few hours looking at the letters that make up the engine code and you should be able to work out how many turbos the factory motor has. Extend the front? (HUH?) While you're doing some research how about check the configuration of your corolla motor, eg east-west or north-south.

And because i sense you are a 'twin turbo = twice the power' person, ill help you out. It doesn't mean twice the power. It too is a common misconception held between most ill-informed and ignorant numbskulls.

As for the cost, what are we, pricing agents , why does this question get asked so much? how hard is it to contact a workshop and ask them. They're the ones who'll be doing it so they can give you an accurate dollar figure. Then when you have a few estimates then ask if we think it is a good price or not.

Do some research, then come back with a question worth asking

Dont listen to your mate ever again.

[/END FRUSTRATION VENT]
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*Applause* Laughing
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what rex said.

Also, might be worth reading some of your local transport authorities laws on what is actually LEGAL to do to your car. In most states the 4age and 4agze are perfectly legal with the correct papers. The RB series engines would not be in most states, and forthermore would require the engine to half hang out the side of your car!!

Please, for the love of well informed and helpful people, *TALKING TO EVERYONE* do some research before asking such broad and commonly asked questions....

NB: i found 62 matches to the search "AE82 gze" on these forums alone.

-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say go for 4AGE better of with insurance etc(full insurance). 4agze if you get the newer ones are like 165 hp and the 100 kilowatt 4age has around 135 30 hp difference and there is 4agze's which are sad that make 110 kilowatts(waste of time to me).

Theres mods you can do to gain 30hp or more, exhaust, cold air intake, extractors, shaved head, cams, highflow cat etc shit like that will help you keep up to a 4agze(stock).

I got a sx ae92 or 93 some shit like that with the 4age 100 kilowatt motor. Mods are, 2 inch exhaust, cold air intake and some shit to do with timming which increases power not sure how much and i was side by side to a 4agze when i raced one Cool

Rex_Kelway think you need to tone it down, dont be slack maybe he isnt a advanced user with forums with searching, and also maybe he isnt that well of with cars and engine conversions not his fault he believes what he hears think you should be more polite when asking people to do a search like most people on this forum do Rolling Eyes

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigh.. dude ever heard of "respect your elders"?
or in this case it's not necessarily elders, but "the wise ones"

there are quite a number of people on these forums whom i respect, and read their posts for the hell of it Smile.

there are also many many people who have much less than half an idea.. i realise that i had little idea once upon a time, but i learned pretty quickly that the best way to learn is to listen to what more experienced people are saying.
it is true that these people are not always very advanced with their use of the english language, or their use of search functions (check out my sig Wink ), but that doesn't excuse them from asking silly questions Rolling Eyes

i can see you are trying to help, but with your "some shit" car and your vague mods (that you are not even sure of) that have not been quantified in any way, may not help much.

a reference to Bill's 4AG buildup guide would have been of more use.

but to get back to the point, the idea of stuffing an RB motor into a FWD car is the funniest thing i've heard this week Very Happy

maybe "we" should all just boycott foolish posts?? problem is then that the chaff drowns out the wheat and the whole thing goes to shit Confused

sigh, back to thesis Sad
Cya, Stewart

nomuken
Regular

November 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

They come from the Nissan SX200 range

lol first time I have heard that nissan put a RB engine in a silvia, btw shouldnt it be 200SX lol Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I say go for 4AGE better of with insurance etc(full insurance). 4agze if you get the newer ones are like 165 hp and the 100 kilowatt 4age has around 135 30 hp difference and there is 4agze's which are sad that make 110 kilowatts(waste of time to me).

Seriously, i DO NOT think you were racing a 4A-GZE. And if you were, he wasnt racing. There is NO WAY that a 100kW 4A-GE in an AE92 can keep up with a 4A-GZE in an AE92. If you check out some of the results from previous Toymods Dyno Days, here's how it goes:
AE92 100kW 4A-GE = 50-60kW at the wheels
AE92 4A-GZE = 80-90kW at the wheels
** just a little difference yeah?

Your figures on engine power have seriously been pulled from the nether regions of your rear passage dude. Here are the Toyota quoted power figures for the 4A series of engines:

Bigport 4A-GE (Tvis) = 86kW
Smallport 4A-GE = 100kW
Silvertop 20V 4A-GE = 120kW
Blacktop 20V 4A-GE = 126kW
4A-GZE AFM type (bigport) = 115kW
4A-GZE MAP sensor type (smallport) = 126kW

Now take note of something that without fail is argued until blue in the face by people like you. Toyota SERIOUSLY overquoted the power output of their 4A-GE engines. They did this by disconnecting everything like power steering, air con, water pumps, alternators etc (anything with mechanical drag). If you speak to any experienced or knowledgeable person they will tell you that the REAL engine output power of these engines is significantly LESS than that quoted.

For instance, a silvertop and blacktop 20V 4A-GE were tested on an engine dyno by a reputable engine tuner, and this is the actual result:
Silvertop 20V 4A-GE = 138HP/98kW at flywheel @ 7800 RPM
Blacktop 20V 4A-GE = 144HP/102kW at Flywheel from 7800 to 8500 RPM

THis however, is not the case for the 4A-GZE engines. They are usually at or above their quoted engine output power, and have a bootload more torque to go along with that.

If you dont believe me, i dare you to post a similar post over at www.twincam.org/forums and see what happens.

Quote:

Theres mods you can do to gain 30hp or more, exhaust, cold air intake, extractors, shaved head, cams, highflow cat etc shit like that will help you keep up to a 4agze(stock). I got a sx ae92 or 93 some shit like that with the 4age 100 kilowatt motor. Mods are, 2 inch exhaust, cold air intake and some shit to do with timming which increases power not sure how much and i was side by side to a 4agze when i raced one Cool

I seriously doubt those mods will keep you anywhere near a stock 4A-GZE. When you have been in one, then talk.

Quote:

Rex_Kelway think you need to tone it down, dont be slack maybe he isnt a advanced user with forums with searching, and also maybe he isnt that well of with cars and engine conversions not his fault he believes what he hears think you should be more polite when asking people to do a search like most people on this forum do Rolling Eyes

I think Rex, although a bit rough in his reply, was warranted with the jist of what he said. For too long and for 1000000 times over people have asked stupid questions and posted ill-informed and in your case completely incorrect technical "facts". Please do some research before you open your mouth on topics you really dont know much about.

Now, in future, please bear in mind these FACTS before posting such tech material. Thanks.
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Seriously, i DO NOT think you were racing a 4A-GZE. And if you were, he wasnt racing.

Umm i asked him for a run, plus his car was screaming like mine and i asked him what he had in it cos it didnt sound normal for a rolla he goes "supercharged". I also raced a CA18DET siliva asked him for a run he only beat me buy one car length he was suprised

[Updated on: Wed, 03 March 2004 22:24]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Wed, 03 March 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To the original poster - I think Fast Fours Forums and Hot4s Forums are the ideal place to post these sorts of questions. You will get hours of useful information there. I'm sure you'll make many friends there too.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Thu, 04 March 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigz - good to see we are reverting to the "conclusive" evidence of your little race Rolling Eyes . Please read the sticky thread "Tech Section Moderation", esp the rule that states:

Quote:

PLEASE do not simply regurgitate what you've overheard or read somewhere else, and call it your 'expert' contribution to a thread. Posts like this simply propagate misinformation. If you think you can refer someone to relevant web resources, by all means do so, but please do not make an independent 'statement of fact' about an issue unless you can substantiate it.

I suggest you re-read my ENTIRE post and think about what you have said.

To the original poster - i appologise for the way this thread has gone, but unfortunately sometimes you need to be tough to get the correct message across.

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Thu, 04 March 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to clear up some info

Silvertop 20V 4A-GE = 108kw (except for corolla madness 300fwkw in his world)
Blacktop 20V 4A-GE = 120W

thes figures are more accurate to actual power put out
black top may be a little less

THERE IS NO WAY A 4AGE WILL BE BEAT A 4AGZE, ESPECIALLY IF THE 4AGZE HAS A BOV!!
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Fri, 05 March 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

THERE IS NO WAY A 4AGE WILL BE BEAT A 4AGZE, ESPECIALLY IF THE 4AGZE HAS A BOV!!

and what difference would a BOV make to performance?
it vents air, instead of a normal ABV which bypasses it back into the system.

is it just me or can anyone else see
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Fri, 05 March 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
craig was taking the piss young man.

The really funny point is the fact that everyone who knows ANYTHING knows that a BOV on a 4agze is bad, and pointless. It sucks unfiltered air in rather than blow it out because the TB is before the SC.

Hence no difference to performance
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Fri, 05 March 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh he needed to insert sarcasm

its quite difficult to actually hear sarcasm in text believe it or not Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Fri, 05 March 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you meant an SR20 series engine in your car - that's the one out of the 200sx/180sx/silvia.

unfortunately, this is a rwd setup engine, andI can only imagine the nightmares associated with trying to get a gearbox to fit it.
a ca18 DET from a jap-spec 4wd exa (yes, they exist I was scared to find out!) would be easier, but ALL of these options will cost a million times more than a 4agze, and with the money you saved you could get 150rwkw out of your 4a-gze by turboing it

and tell your mate he's an idiot - $4-$5k is cheap for a simple engine conversion - the 4a-gze conversion will set you back this much... and the costs just go up from there
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Fri, 05 March 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx draven, i told him at uni today. I'll go for the 4-agze...sounds very reasonable Cool
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Fri, 05 March 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry Zhyr, most of the guys know me in person so i kinda guessed they would know i was joking

Smile
Toy SX
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4-AGE or 4-AGZE Fri, 05 March 2004 14:34 Go to previous message
Nigz, if you managed to beat a GZE in your GE the other guy either had a very sick (and i dont' mean full scheek) gze or he just couldn't drive. No way in the world would a 100kW 4age beat the gze.

Also it's not about the peak power, check the torque out on b/ween the gze and the ge's. ge's have bugger all torque and their powerband comes on around 3500 and above, whereas with gze's pretty much comes on on tap. Witzl or any of the other guys who have done conversions or have a gze, feel free to correct me here Wink

I think the keyword here is research! There are tons of resources out there, so use your head and look there Razz Sure this is a tech forum, but I agree with the others and enough is enough. I've seen within a few months the same questions asked over and over again Confused

My 2c Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rear spoilers on FWD cars
Next Topic:how to fill a shroud gap?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:30:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063741207122803 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.