Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Barney
Regular

July 2002

icon5.gif  HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 14 August 2002 01:50 Go to next message
i got a ke30 rolla with the 3k in it. my dad told me if i dont get a better engine or clean that 1 up then he's gonna get rid of it. and i cant let him do that

i was looking for some help on engine conversions. Whats simple, whats cheap, and whats easy to register. insurance isnt a problem coz i dont give a crap, just need 3rd party.

anyway ive heard the 4AG conversion is common, like the 5K and 4K. Any help possible is needed here, including engine costs.

thanks alot
Barn
  Send a private message to this user    
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 14 August 2002 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
I have a KE30 Corolla with a 2TG in it
they go in easy as piss
the hardest part is the clutch cause u have to change it to hydro
u can grab everything u need to do that straight off a TA22 Celica, your could always go for a 2T heaps more tourqe than any of the K series motors
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 14 August 2002 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the 7k conversion heard that has heaps of torque but i guess the trade off would be a low redline and bugger all top end...as it was designed for use in vans

ideas anyone?

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 14 August 2002 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah from what i understand thats about it Yawn
which isnt much fun
the 2TG is about the same power as a 4ag would be
they do get up and go 4 an old motor Smile
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 14 August 2002 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so with the 2tg conversion could it be done by a couple guys, me and Barney, who have never done much work with an engine beside doin a basic service? Do new engine mounts need to be fabricated? does the engine bolt up to the existing 4 speed box or should we get the 5 speed? Do we need to convert the slutch if still using the existing box?

any info you can give from your conversion much appreciated!!

Also does anyone know if it would be a problem having it registered LEGALLY with the 2tg in it as they never came out with that engine?

Thanks!
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 14 August 2002 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get away with using standard 2T/2TG mounts and it should bolt straight up

the gear box mount bolts up but using the diffrent holes in the car floor
I wouldnt waste your time with the 4 speed
may as well go for 5 as it wont cost to much

the tail shaft fits without any mods because the k40 and t50 boxes are the same length

most of the electric's hooks right up
i think we only changed 1 or 2 plugs to get everything working

you wont need to upgrade the brakes or anything as the weight doesnt change much

as for legality's, i got mine done with the 15" wheels, skyline R33 electric seats and the battery in the boot and it passed no worry's
i had to get a weigh slip (920kg), emmisions and a
noise test done (95.6db hahaha)

(All this was with a 88222 2TG using solex carby's)
it made 52kw @ the wheels on the dyno day needing a tune badly
it runs a high 16 over the 1/4 and is great fun to blat around in

i hope this helps abit
the convertion is also coverd @ [url=http://www.geocities.com/jonnyr_1973/[/url]
feel free to pick my brains about any more details Smile
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 14 August 2002 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The new address is
http://www.tassie.net.au/~jar

I don't realy agree so much about droping it (2T) on the old KE crossmember. Its not hard to modify, and the engine will sit better then.

2T/ 2TG is about the simplest conversion that is worth doing. And yes, corollas of that shape did come with the 2TG (in Japan).

In Tasmania I am getting mine inspected this week. As long as it is a 1600cc and no bigger everything is fine, just need heavey duty shocks, and brakes of a cirtain diameter (220mm?)

A 4AGE would be better, but a 2TG is easiest for the novice. Well i don't know, there are lots of pros and cons. Can you tune a carbie?
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Thu, 15 August 2002 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah true
i have custom engine mounts on mine
which i already had but i only noticed after i test fitted it with the old 3K mounts

yeah carby's are a slut to get right, but once its sorted there not to bad

yeah they never asked me about the brakes once which was good
but its coming up shortly on my list of mods

rebuild the gearbox and the new zorst will me next for me
then the brakes (which im still ususe of what to use)
oh and maybe a wheel change
(from 15"x6" to 13" 5.5" mini lite style)
Barney
Regular

July 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Thu, 15 August 2002 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks every one for your help on the subject. i was so close to buying a 7K but now i know better. ok hunty u know what this means, we're goin shopping for a 2TG!!!!!! lets go 2 that just jap place and see if they got any old celicas.

does the 2TG take unleaded or LRP? my rollas been converted 2 ULP. will that make a difference?

and my brakes/shocks/suspension are all rooted. will i need new stuff to get it street legal? wat about a new exhaust or can it be put back on to the same exhaust manifold. i dont know much bout conversions

anyway thanks for the help everyone. much appreciated.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Thu, 15 August 2002 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok first up you should be able to get it passed with rooted stuff
im not sure how long u will live tho Nod
Im runing king spring super low's, KYB sport shocks and a whiteline 22mm sway bar on the front, and 2" lowering block with an extra leaf on the back
it handles ok but nothing to write home about... ok its good for a KE30 Freak
+ the wheels help heaps "195-50-15's"

You will have to weld the old zorst to the 2TG monifold or get a new 1 depending on budget
as for fuel i run mine on PULP and it runs much better than LRP
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Thu, 15 August 2002 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i run my 2T on PULP - runs fine (well it does at the moment)
Rob20v
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Fri, 16 August 2002 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put a 2tg in a ke30 I raced, the only drama was I had to alter the engine mountings on the cross member to make the engine fit nicely. Got all my donor parts from a ta22 celica, including the engine mounting plates from the celica. The clutch hydraulics from the celica just fit on the firewall where you see the impressions (not drilled on Aussie ke30). I used the ta22 clutch pedal just re bent it to fit and made a pin come out from the side of the clutch pedal to line up with the clutch master cylinder rod. The rear mount just uses the other set of bolt holes already there.
The only thing I recomend you use is the rear axle out of the ta22 as I broke a few axles on the dirt and found i needed to do this.
I am currently doing a 2tg fit into a ke25 (Levin copy)as I don't have to engineer it in Victoria but are having to do some mods to the pedal assy which is a headache. Cool
bloody_huge23
Regular

May 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Sun, 18 August 2002 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
If you wanted to upgrade the brakes TA22 front struts would bolt stright in. I recently just bought front struts and their sweet.
Im also building a KE30 but with a 4AGE(NOS) in it. Its a bitch trying to find out what strong diff that bolts into a KE30 and not many people have helped me with this:( aahhh well...,
Adam
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Mon, 19 August 2002 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you run with the standard diff yet?
you might find it will last longer than u think
teat it wil some respect and it will be ok
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 21 August 2002 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, I've been running a standard locked diff for over 6 months now. I regulary drift (or attempt to), do crazy 1->2 changes with much axle tramp.

All this behind a 2TGEU as well.
It is a jap diff though, none of this shitty borgwarner stuff.

I am changing to T series with disc brakes and LSD on friday, just to play it safe.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 21 August 2002 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you mean none of that crappy borg warner crap. i know from experience and word of many toyota experts that the borg warner is much stronger then the anjo style diff
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 21 August 2002 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh, I should have guessed this would have stirred someones kettle. (man, where did that saying come from)....

Anyhow, on the subject of borgwarner strength. My friend has blown 2 borgwarner gearboxes (W56, use behind S motors) behind his 3SGTE. He had no problems with W57+, which are jap boxes. Sure, you could say that the gearboxs could be faulty or what not, but I personally agree with him, he said they also have half the number of bearings in them by comparsion, and they are huge and heavy!

Seems like big huckory stuff the borgwarner gear.
Use it if you like, but I'll keep to my Jap stuff Razz
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 21 August 2002 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wasnt saying that jap stuff wasnt as good as the borg warner. i was only making a comparsion between the banjo and borg warner diff in ke30/55. in which case the borg warner is much stronger
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: HELP: KE30 Conversion Wed, 21 August 2002 06:17 Go to previous message
okay, cool.

I'll stick to the Jap stuff Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Clutch Screeching
Next Topic:Alternator location on a K series engine
Goto Forum: