Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » TEMS suspension?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 01:02 Go to next message
i was looking at a thread in the for sale section and the car had TEMS suspension..

ummm is TEMS a brand or what? just wondering because i was thinking seriously about buying the car,

if anyone could shed some light on this i would be very appreciated.
cheers chris
  Send a private message to this user    
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota Electronically Modified Suspension = TEMS

Available in various forms, but the ones in my supra are shockers with a little 3-way switch in them that is Hard, Medium or Soft. Switches turned by litte hats that sit on the strut towers, and system controlled by computer that reads speed, amount of turn on steering and whether the brakes are applied. There's a switch in the cabin to go from "Normal" - all soft to Sport "all medium". When turning hard or braking over 60 km/h all shocks switch to Hard. You can feel it when it works.

Do a search in tech section, it should all be there.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHOA! thats awesome!
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to be pedantic but the M stands for Modulated not Modified.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the one! I knew it was an M something... Smile

It sounds awesome doesn't it! Best thing is the shocks are made by KYB for Toyota and are dirt cheap! Try $70 ea as the list price.

Plus you can get a HKS TEMS contoller that alows you to set them all to hard or all to soft etc.

In reality, it's not as good as a well tuned suspension setup, but it's not a bad compromise. If you are using it as an everyday car then you can select soft for cruising and hard for hills work. It's not a dramatic difference, but a long drive down a bumpy road on soft is preferrable than one on hard.
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
???! HKS has a TEMS controller? I'm sure you're applying this for the JZA70 Supra but did they have them for the JZZ30 Soarers (I'm pretty sure that the JZA70 and JZZ30 use the same type TEMS struts)... just curious though as I've gotten rid of my TEMS suspension on my Soarer... now I've just got the hard setting on all the time Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jose
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA70 and JZA70 Supra - if the Soarer struts and TEMS computer are the same, then I guess it'd fit a Soarer. Do you have the 2 rectangular buttons on your console for Normal and Sport? If so the HKS one would probably work - it replaces those 2 buttons with three buttons. There's also a mod on supraforums.com which lets you push both Normal and Sport buttons down to make it on hard all the time.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 March 2004 05:49]

Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: TEMS suspension? Thu, 04 March 2004 23:50 Go to previous message
Oh ok then... the Soarer (JZZ30) doesn't have the separate switches as they're linked in with the gearbox switch (ECT PWR/NORM switch).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:dodgy fkrs :(
Next Topic:Check out these Bodykits for st-18* Celicas!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 16:08:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044620037078857 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.