Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 03:51 Go to next message
I've read about the new innovation, and how they let the engine now rev to 19,000rpm, as apposed to the previous 13,000.

So they do this by lifting the valves instead of using springs?
If anyone knows how they work I would be interested in knowing.
Also if using the pnuematics to lift the valves works then couldn't you program the open/close of valves to certain times at certain revs giving much better results then the current variable valve timing? or is this how it's done, or could the pnuematics replace cams and work indepently?

If anyone knows anything about this I'ld be quite interested in learning about it, as I'm going through a mechanical engineering degree at monash Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BMW are using this technology and possibly have released it in some production engines as it has been a long time since ive read about it on autospeed.

the valves can be controlled by the ECU for duration and lift and because of this they do not need a throttle buttlerfly as the valves are what control how much air going into the engine from accelerator pedal input (as well as other sensors).

has huge advantages for fuel economy, power and drivability as it is a true dynamic variable valve engine.

hope this helps.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIR, the current M3 engine uses the pnuematic valves.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 15:16

has huge advantages for fuel economy, power and drivability as it is a true dynamic variable valve engine.

That's what I was thinking about.

So how does it actually work though, instead of being forced by springs, it's just a controlled lift by the pnuematics?

I might try and base my final year project on redesigning the 3sge I've got sitting in my garage. Wonder if I could work this in somehow, maybe just design anyway probably be a bit out of my price range
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think (and don't quote me on this 'coz it's been a while since I read anything on the subject).

The idea is to get rid of those pesky camshafts...
nomuken
Regular

November 2003
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone have pics ?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&am p;oe=UTF-8&q=bmw+pneumatic+valves
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 15:29

AFAIR, the current M3 engine uses the pnuematic valves.

I'm quite sure they don't have pnuematic valves , but have VANOS units ( variable cam units ). But lots of current BMW engines use the variable valve gear that uses servo motors to adjust valve lift depending on pedal position and power / torque requirements. But still have a throttle body for emergency operation.

kekeke being a BMW technician is fun ^_^

Currently I have a X5 V8 4.4L with valve gear ripped off awaiting replacement.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I think I was wrong. I might have been thinking of their hydrogen car instead.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Fri, 05 March 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like this -

http://www.billzilla.org/pneumaticvalves.gif

They use conventional cams to open the valves, but air pressure to shut them.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Mon, 08 March 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ill be the one to bite and ask the ridiculous...
how much ?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Tue, 09 March 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cost is more in power to drive tht thing instead of $$ Wink

the reason they use them (aiui) is becuase
a) springs have material limits and a lot of inertia
b) the force applied by a spring decreases as it extends.

the pneumatic spring has less inertai, and has a pretty constant force, so you can yse much larger, more aggressive ramp rates, and still keep the valve in contact with the back of the lobe.

pneumatic doe snot open them, there is some work into using solenoid operated valves, but again the power cost to drive them is very high...., heck even fuel injectors use abotu 1amp, and they only move a tiny pintle a few mm...
Cya, Stewart
ColMX83
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Tue, 09 March 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't quote me as an authority, but I seem to remember an article that quoted the use of Nitrogen for this purpose, stored in a cylinder at high pressure. (>5000 psi) This way, the change in lift pressurises the gas by only an extremely small percentage with respect to the system pressure.

By the way, Scania have been using electric actuation for their valves for ten years or more.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Tue, 09 March 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just like an aftermarket ecu controls injector timing at certain crank degree

they use a computer to open and close valves at any time they want

so at a certain crank degree one valve would open

this means u can adjust lift(maybe) and duration just
by readjusting values on the programmable computer

when an f1 car dies in the ass from valvetrain problems

it usually means they have run out of gas which runs the system

one canister is used to run a whole race
so if u have a slight leak u might not make it a whole race

its old technology but would be hard to set up on an everyday engine

if u use pressure to open the valve then u would have to use pressure to close it

megan
Regular

December 2002
Re: Pnuematic valves on F1's Tue, 09 March 2004 10:57 Go to previous message
This is slightly off topic.

I did some research on the topic of ECV electronic controlled valves. Where they use solenoids at 48V to control the valves.

It has some interesting requirements one is that you can't just simply snap the valve open or closed you must bring it to a stop slowly or the valve will get damaged.

Eg you can't just slam the valve into the head to close it.

I would like to try setting it up on a single cylinder stationary engine one day and have some fun writing code for it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:INITIAL D, TORENO TRUENO
Next Topic:Did I get a bargain???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 02:59:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005652904510498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.