Toymods » General Car Talk » Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Thu, 04 March 2004 23:14 Go to next message
http://smh.com.au/ffxmedia/carcost0503.jpg

maaaaaan and that's just the car!
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new restrictions (i think) say that only 1 engine can be used per vehicle per event... should be interesting Nod they now have to double the lifespan of the engine...
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A set of wheels cost more than my whole car Sad
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 13:25

A set of wheels cost more than my whole car Sad

Same here.
Tires cost more than I'm probably going to get for my car when I sell it.
Notice the engine cost by far the most on them? Very Happy
I want them to allow AWD again, and that crazy 6 wheel F1 car. It would be really interesting to see some strange variations on the standard style again.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$158k gearbox

I want
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all that money spent and the racing is still boring... what a waste.

M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 14:14

$158k gearbox

I want

But then you would need to install a heater to warm it up first or it will be destroyed in no time at all.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get electric heaters for $19.95 from Bunnings. Razz Razz Razz
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey the pedals cost more than my car!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex finds that disgusting. Millions of human beings dying needlessly and countless other millions crippled by poverty, starvation and third rate healthcare. And more than 88million dollars is spent on one car for one year Mad. Christ! and they wonder why the world is going down the toilet...

The same goes for space exploration and military conquest.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 19:01

Rex finds that disgusting. Millions of human beings dying needlessly and countless other millions crippled by poverty, starvation and third rate healthcare. And more than 88million dollars is spent on one car for one year Mad. Christ! and they wonder why the world is going down the toilet...

The same goes for space exploration and military conquest.

You've got the right idea...
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without progress the world of man falls into darkness.

Push forward or fall back.

Yes the money for lots of things in this world can be more wisely used but space exploration is quite important.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DiZ_ wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 21:36

Yes the money for lots of things in this world can be more wisely used but space exploration is quite important.

tell that to the people living in poverty - or without a newspaper to know what space is.
torque
Regular

May 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To play devils advocate - what we all spend on our cars would seem just as excessive to a lot of ppl in the third world..
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 21:39

DiZ_ wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 21:36

tell that to the people living in poverty - or without a newspaper to know what space is.

Hey , I never said it was fair , or I condon it. What can I do , I work all week , pay my bills and support charities when I can.

But back to the topic , 12 sets of pedals a year , thats alot of high priced foot holders.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bet the $2400 stickers, give the car an extra 300hp Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 14:24

all that money spent and the racing is still boring... what a waste.

AGREED! Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll take 2.

Who wants to race?
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$73,000 steering wheel? that smells like bullshit to me. where did you get this from?
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Fri, 05 March 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Sat, 06 March 2004 10:12

$73,000 steering wheel? that smells like bullshit to me. where did you get this from?

Have you seen the steering wheel - it ain't autotechnica
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know, but 73000? how can a steering wheel cost that much? it must be encrusted in diamonds for that price.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you think about it the stickers don't "cost" 2400, because think how much people pay to have their brand on an F1 car.
I say that F1 racing is a testement to man's accomplishments in automotive engineering.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Sat, 06 March 2004 10:37

yeah i know, but 73000? how can a steering wheel cost that much? it must be encrusted in diamonds for that price.

i think that the steeringwheel (the whole removing bit) its filled with electronics that controlls/records data for a big bunch of shit within the car, so it woudlnt suprise me if that was accurate.

i dont see why they need that many pedal sets tho
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alot of that seems legit but why the hell do they need 12 sets of pedals, 10 seats, 8 fuel tanks and 12 steering wheels per year, no logic what so ever
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they are going to spend 73k on a steering wheel, you would think that it would last a while, not 12 per year...
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give me $500,000 and ill build you a formula one car that doesnt need parts to be changed every month Razz

a mx5 with a 20bpp turbo motor Razz now thats real F1 racing
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well as for the seats/pedals. They're not going to be made out of the most durable materials. As light as possible - lasting the whole year isn't a concern. So light materials - who cares if they wear out.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As expensive as it is to run the car they are still making a profet,

also the pedals wouldn't be like your gay face plates you buy from super cheap auto they would have all the sensors in them as throttle and so forth is electronically controlled they are probably extreemly light so wear out quicker, the driver would give them a hard workout, probably have some protective coating on them which wears out an so forth,

the seat would get water damage get full of sweat from the driver and all the parts on the car would wear out from the g-forces applied to them every time they go out on the track.

you haven't taken into account the cost of wages for everyone to do with the team, accomodation, transportation and so forth, car costs nothing compared to the rest of the show behind the car.

also i tend to wonder why an older shitter 80's model Mercedes Benz has rear view mirrors that cost $1,300 each when they look exactly the same as something you would find off some old falcon, now thats excessive.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Sat, 06 March 2004 16:27

well as for the seats/pedals. They're not going to be made out of the most durable materials. As light as possible - lasting the whole year isn't a concern. So light materials - who cares if they wear out.

Quote:

have u never heard of carbon fiber, it'd take 20 years of driving to fuck the pedals/seats, it would have sensors but not $2400 worth, and carbon fiber doesnt absorb sweat
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you able to tell me exactly how many types of Carbon fiber there is?

there is too many types to list some last longer then other some are stronger some are lighter, its like saying all alloys are the same.

And these are big world wide teams.

i don't think they would wast money for no reason at all.

they cost that much and they replace them that often for a reason.

i will see what i can find out for you, my sister is in melbourne at the moment. and her boyfriend's brother in law is Schumac's Race Engineer.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somewhat believable....but 8 fuel tanks?? they run on acid or something?
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope, they run on 102 RON premium.

but I'ld suggest the replacement of everything is for weight reasons, build up of crap in the fuel take more weight, sweat on the seat more weight. maybe they are just pedantic about weight saving?
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the replacement of so much i put down to simple wear and tear
remember these things are on THE edge and running to their maximum performance in multiple areas simultanious virtually 100% of the time
cosnider the wear and tear fo our cars just puttign around most fo the time with us giving it a fang every now and again and a good workout say a few tiems weekly etc
also the compounds use will NOT be supercheap quality
reliability woudl be why
can u imagine schueey coming in to pit due to his seat breaking ?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sat, 06 March 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man I am watching the F1 going, "$50 000", "$20 000", "100 000" lol, changed my whole perspective

Though the whole new "one engine" rule should work in Toyota's favour Very Happy
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sun, 07 March 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
half a pedal costs more than my car Sad , and how can a steering wheel cost 73k!! god damn!
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sun, 07 March 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"So whats the retail on one of those?"

"More then you can afford pal, F1."

"Smoke'em!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think I've seen the fast and the furious once too many Embarassed
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sun, 07 March 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even the stickers cost more than my car Sad
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sun, 07 March 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John K wrote on Sun, 07 March 2004 11:53

"So whats the retail on one of those?"

"More then you can afford pal, F1."

"Smoke'em!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think I've seen the fast and the furious once too many Embarassed

oh yeh...

Jessie man tell whats wrong its not workin for me brother

its your fuel line man thats why your unloading in third

"ha ha told it was third"

"shut up man"

what we need to do is lenghten the injecter pulse and tune the nos housing a nother milisecond and it will run nice!

well something like that lol
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Sun, 07 March 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suddenly the $20000 I've spent on my Sprinter doesn't seem too bad. Confused
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Mon, 08 March 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E wrote on Sat, 06 March 2004 16:33

As expensive as it is to run the car they are still making a profet,

also the pedals wouldn't be like your gay face plates you buy from super cheap auto they would have all the sensors in them as throttle and so forth is electronically controlled they are probably extreemly light so wear out quicker, the driver would give them a hard workout, probably have some protective coating on them which wears out an so forth,

the seat would get water damage get full of sweat from the driver and all the parts on the car would wear out from the g-forces applied to them every time they go out on the track.

you haven't taken into account the cost of wages for everyone to do with the team, accomodation, transportation and so forth, car costs nothing compared to the rest of the show behind the car.

also i tend to wonder why an older shitter 80's model Mercedes Benz has rear view mirrors that cost $1,300 each when they look exactly the same as something you would find off some old falcon, now thats excessive.

F1 is kind of like KART...kind of...
Anywas, a Moto GP bike and a Kart car went head to head around some track(Nick Hayden and Michael Andretti)
The KART car only came out on top by a couple of seconds, which in race terms is ALOT
But take into account that on the test day that they did this Hayden had a crew of 2 people, where as Andretti had roughly 12 from memory.
Taking that into consideration, it seems like the bikes get more bang for buck Smile

But yeah, i wouldnt mind one of these to flog around in, get milk from the servo etc Smile

Actually, one of my mates dads held a senior position at some advertising firm in england back in the 70's.
the top dude(major share holder\ceo) had his own private race track and 2 F1's!!!
Said it was the most fun\scariest hour of his life when this guy let him drive around the track in one Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Mon, 08 March 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look at the MoTec steering wheels, then multiply the complexity and tell me is wouldn't cost that much..

everything on an F1 car is designed to be as light as possible and last 1 race.

if you have a close look at the steering wheels, they are made of 'very nifty' carbon fibre (in laymans terms)... notice how the fibres 'lay flat' aroudn the corners... also notice that the gear shifting mechanism is in the wheel, etc etc etc..

the reason they replace almost everything per race is reliability. you want to be the guy that said "nahh, we won't bother replacing that $5 part, it won't break" and costing your team millions in endorsements for the DNF???

as for lap times, check out the records at eastern creek. the bike ctegories are all pretty similar, and only a few seconds behind sports sedans and V8 superdupercars, but the formulas are maybe 10 seconds quicker...

it is an expensive sport, and is one of the three pinnacles of materials engineering... and ti does trickle down.. just loook at the S2000 motor, similar piston speeds to their F1 motor.

Cya, Stewart

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Tue, 09 March 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The same goes for space exploration

What's wrong with space exploration? The resources on this planet aren't gonna last forever you know. When that happens, we won't be too worried about the poverty on the planet...

As for the steering wheels, do you guys know how much they can control?!?! Those things are prolly 4 times more powerful than the computer you're sitting in front!
The control everything from fueling to rev limits to pit lane limiter to drink dispenser to traction control to the radio is on that wheel.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Tue, 09 March 2004 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 22:39

The same goes for space exploration

What's wrong with space exploration? The resources on this planet aren't gonna last forever you know. When that happens, we won't be too worried about the poverty on the planet...

As for the steering wheels, do you guys know how much they can control?!?! Those things are prolly 4 times more powerful than the computer you're sitting in front!
The control everything from fueling to rev limits to pit lane limiter to drink dispenser to traction control to the radio is on that wheel.

do they run linux or winME? Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Cost of running a F1 car. Check this out 80 Tue, 09 March 2004 22:24 Go to previous message
AmigaDOS!

LOAD TRACTION_CONTROL,8,1

Oops, meant CommodoreDOS. Disgusted[/edit]

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 22:26]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:And so starts Evolution 2
Next Topic:drift bro
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 06:16:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0095040798187256 seconds