Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Willwood calipers?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Willwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 10:32 Go to next message
I know I have asked this question before but i'm asking it again cause I want to.

Does anyone have the low down on Willwood calipers? I dont want to know what you've heard from a mates mate either, I want to know facts.
Are they street legal?, do they work well?, etc etc...

Anyone here using them? Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Wilwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as was said before, no-one but your engineer can tell you if they are street legal.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 February 2004 11:38]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have already done all you said.

Rang many engineers all said they cant say with out seeing the calipers in question.
Spoke to Willwood USA and they say they are fine for street cars. Spoke to Willwood dealers in Australia and they say the calipers are fine for street use.

So your next suggestion?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"fine for street use"

i rekon you should be okay then

if not take them back and say " they aint safe for street use, gimme my money back"
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is no soubt that if sized correctly, they will stop the car.

the question of legality is:

are they ADR approved? (i'm pretty sure your car, unlike mine, is convered by ADR's Wink )
can they be engineer approved if they are not ADR approved.

they main issue is of longevity and construction. if they have no dust sheilds, they might gunk up and seize. are they designed for long term use? or short term use being cleaned after every race? are the caliper bores suitable for long term exposure to moisture containing fluid? etc etc..

basically, rign back the engineers and ask "are these calipers legal for road use and can you approve them" if they say they need to see them, ask "what will determine of they are ok or not, what are you lookng for in a street legal caliper" Wink
or, ask them directly what calipers are ok for street use, what should you be looking for..
that help Wink Very Happy
Cya, Stewart

Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No willwood calpier is legal for street use.

Thats what I have been told by a local wilwood supplier. Apparently they dont have dust boots or something like that so are not ADR approved.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ok. No worries.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 29 February 2004 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If they're anything like their rotors I certainly wouldn't be putting them on my car.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 February 2004 22:14]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, wanna share GT?

Cool1, why would you want to use aftermarket Wilwoods when there are plenty of decent light alloy calipers around anyway? RX7, 300ZX, Skylines, etc etc??? all ADR approved Wink

Cya, Stewart
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 01 March 2004 09:13

If they're anything like their rotors I certainly wouldn't be putting them on my car.

I agree with GT. Except for their topline calipers, they are built to a price. Speaking from experience.

Wilwood = Hyundai

Alcon = Porsche

Brembo = Ferrari

You definitley get what you pay for.

Like Stewart said, stick to road car calipers. Parts are easily available as are pads etc

Cheers

MB

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

care to share ?????

i see nothing particularly wrong with the rotors.

the ones i have are their 'lightweight' series, so the vanes between the disc faces look a little slim (as youd expect), but other than that, im very happy with the quality of the casting and machine work. and wilwood is hardly a small little pissant company.

(ps - damn they are light)

also, however, i do agree that they are at the budget end of the spectrum.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 March 2004 02:26]

wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
light = less metal, less metal = faster to heat, faster to heat = warps, less metal = warps faster.

Brembo make a nice rotor for the Supras too.

I've heard of some people warping DBA discs at clubmeets but I think that is poor pads stuffing up the rotor on a track day.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've noticed that my brakes get a nasty wobble when they get warm (eg rapidly decelarating from 240km/h to the speed limit) but the wobble goes away after they cool down. I'm not sure whether to blame this on the DBA rotors or the fact I'm asking more of my brakes than they were ever designed for!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, any resin deposits on the rotors? You're running Greenstuff pads aren't you?

[Updated on: Mon, 01 March 2004 06:24]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I'm running Greenstuff. Haven't checked the rotors lately but I think I'll do that, good call. Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie are you using just the standard DBA gold rotor or the 4000 series?
Mind you I dont know the difference Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using the standard slotted ones, that's all they had available for the MA61.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 01 March 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 01 March 2004 20:05

Norbie are you using just the standard DBA gold rotor or the 4000 series?
Mind you I dont know the difference Rolling Eyes

The Gold rotor is the x-drilled ones and they are the same material as the std rotors, whereas the 4000 series have a much better spec material and have the 'Kangaroo Paw' venting system, and together they are better suited if you want to do some track work.

I'm using 4000 series Subie rotors on the front of mine, 1 as they were cheaper than std spec rotors ( Confused ) and secondly (and most importantly), I will be doing some track work at Mallala which is REALLY hard on brakes.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_ myth.htm is an interesting article regarding whether rotors are actually warped or not (as experienced by Norbs).

This article came from the MRT forums, a section that deals with brakes with a Senior Engineer from DBA as the moderator

Cheers

Michael B

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Tue, 02 March 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That doesnt make much sense Confused I have a new set of DBA long life slotted rotors(not x-drilled) and they have the new Kangaroo-Paw fins.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Willwood calipers? Tue, 02 March 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 02 March 2004 12:09

That doesnt make much sense Confused I have a new set of DBA long life slotted rotors(not x-drilled) and they have the new Kangaroo-Paw fins.

What was their DBA number ? If it was a 4000 series rotor, the part number would be DBA 4xxxSL/R rather than DBA xxxSL/R (with the L/R being for right and left).

Another differentaiting feature is the temp paint on the 4000 series rotors.

It is my understanding that std slotted rotors have the straight/curved vanes as per the catalogue

Cheers

Michael B

In my case, the Std Slotted rotors were $420 each, but the 4000 series versions were $190 each (same price discrepancy for the HSV rotors as well !!!!) Confused

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Tue, 02 March 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got some rotors for my Coon and I think they were about $160 for the left and right. On the boxes they came in they say someting like "utilizing the new kangaroo paw something something".
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Tue, 02 March 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know DBA are slowly moving all their rotors over to Kangaroo Paw venting, it just takes a matter of time and doesn't include the rotors they dont make themselves (i.e. MA61 rears)
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Tue, 02 March 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that makes sense.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Tue, 02 March 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look i seen ppl with track cars use willwood calipers, and i been told that they wouldnt use anything else, but from reading the thread looks like there are varying opinions. I would suggest that it depends on your application, remember that brake pads play a big part into how your car stops
e.g Bendix Metal Kings = CRAPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember you do get what you pay for some times

[Updated on: Tue, 02 March 2004 08:57]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Tue, 02 March 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its ok now anyway cause I got me some 300ZX calipers Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 02 March 2004 10:21]

rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Willwood calipers? Fri, 05 March 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 01 March 2004 13:12

I agree with GT. Except for their topline calipers, they are built to a price. Speaking from experience.

Wilwood = Hyundai

Alcon = Porsche

Brembo = Ferrari

You definitley get what you pay for.

Like Stewart said, stick to road car calipers. Parts are easily available as are pads etc

Cheers

MB

Wilwood = NASCAR

Alcon = Euro Endurance car

Brembo = F1

AP Racing = F1

Wilwoods are pretty good actualy. What you have to look out for are these no names that are popping up.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Sat, 06 March 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh crap...

well, just looking up the website to get some dimensions of my rotors, and what do i find, wilwood have updated their usage description::

UL-32 Series Directional Vane Rotors:

Ultra-Light UL-32 and ULHP-32 directional vane rotors provide an excellent balance of efficient cooling and lower rotating mass on hard braking dirt tracks or rear axle service on pavement cars.

nice to see the updated usage details after my purchase... d'oh !!

me thinks me might have problems!!
im currently designing all the adapters etc to accpt multiple disc mountings so im not trapped into using wilwood in the future (though some of their heavier duty discs look damn good!)

cheers
ed

edit : well, theyre werent discontinued afterall. however, their mounting dimensions are unique to that rotor, and not compatible with other rotors in the wilwood range (the whole range varies considerably!)

nuts!

[Updated on: Sat, 06 March 2004 09:54]

rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 07 March 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim King is doing a group buy for his BBK. Here is the link

http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t= 6496&start=0

WA_TRD_83
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Willwood calipers? Fri, 23 April 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy all!
I'll be taking my Supra in to get some new front discs and front pads after the long weekend.
Does anyone have a list companys that actually make replacement discs for the MA61 Supra?? ie. I've seen Willwood, DBA and Brembo mentioned... is there anyone else that supplies them in Australia? Or more importantly in WA??
i always thought that Slotted DBA were the way to go - but if anyone wants to advise me differently, I'm interested in hearing the suggestions...
Cheers
Hope to hear from someone soon!!!

DAMO
'TRD 83' Supra
Cameron_Datto
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: Willwood calipers? Fri, 23 April 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BMW M3R use After market Caliper with out dust boots ..They are suposed to be overhauled every 10 000 kms as apart of there service ..they only made 15 Cars but some how they get past ADRs with them ..i Know of a Guy making Clubman type Cars wHich is using Willwoods .. Hmmm there seems to Be a loop hole somewhere Rolling Eyes
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Fri, 23 April 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to Les Hunter here in NZ about using Wilwood calipers.
They are legal for street use here in NZ, but yes, they do not have any dust boots.
He said "... as long as the pistons are cleaned of any build-up before they are pushed back into the seal when doing pad changes they will be problem free..." also mentioned "... the pistons are very durable and I haven't seen any pitting/corrosion from being exposed, the seals are supposed to be replaced when the pads are changed and the rebuild kits are ~$15 per (4pot) caliper and the pistons are quite cheap also if you manage to damage one..."

The reason I considered the wilwoods is due to their slim design, 43mm for the outboard side of a Dynalite, compare that to a RX-7 or Skyline caliper +55mm, makes a big difference if you are trying to fit big brakes under small wheels.
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Sat, 24 April 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Willwood calipers are the lightest on the market (2kg for a 4 POT) and are highly regarded in the sprint car industry.

Thats my 2c worth on this topic.
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon5.gif  Re: Willwood calipers? Sat, 24 April 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uuum, I weighed some second gen rx7 calipers i have here, and they are ~900gms per side (4spot) 2kg is heavy!
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Willwood calipers? Sun, 25 April 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, When I said on the market it ment aftermarket.... not oem equipment but thats a damn light caliper at 900 grams.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 26 April 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esteban wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 22:58

uuum, I weighed some second gen rx7 calipers i have here, and they are ~900gms per side (4spot) 2kg is heavy!

Where can I get some of these magical RX7 calipers?
I have a set of recoed Mazda 4 pot calipers here and without pads they are 2.5Kgs per side.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 26 April 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane, advert for rx7 calipers here:
<http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=33837&start=0&rid=2087&S=154c56c42c7 b1db6d57dcacf3ad11a5e>
but no mention of weight
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Willwood calipers? Mon, 26 April 2004 11:03 Go to previous message
I'm thinking that the 900grams was for one piston Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fluctuating idle