Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » aw11 mr2 Brakes?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
aw11 mr2 Brakes? Tue, 20 August 2002 01:14 Go to next message
Any other AW11 owners find the front brakes lock up way too easy and way before the rears?
I really want to rectify this as its begining to shite me...
Does anyone know of a brake conversion that will work?
They are standard 258mm discs on front i believe..
I was thinking of a set of the dba disc which are slotted type.
I dunno.. Im very open to suggestions and want to hear what everyone reckons..
  Send a private message to this user    
raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Tue, 20 August 2002 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know much about the aw11, but ive used 258mm DBA slotted rotors and bendix metal kings in my Levin and havent had any troubles
on the other hand i build a rear engined mini and did have trouble with fronts locking up early due to no weight over the front wheels, bigger rotors and a bigger master cylinder fixed it

Cam
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Tue, 20 August 2002 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak the aw-11 has front wheel bias, it is a real pain in the a**! specially when it is wet. i have heard of some guy's overseas beefing up the rear brakes, not the front. the weight of the engine keeps pushing the car along if the fronts lock up, try driving along and pull the hand brake up a bit, and then brake, the car will pull up perfect. i was thinking of changing where the front/rear lines go into the master cylinder to see if it will give me rear wheel bias...........??
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Tue, 20 August 2002 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to have a problem with locking the fronts until I got some decent tires, with decent rubber, slotted disks and EBC pads, it seems to stop fairly well.

http://members.winnet.com.au/~benw/front.jpg
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Tue, 20 August 2002 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feral : My mate (aw11 also) is talking about putting a bias valve in so he can change it.. The Brake lines run right down the side of the seat. hes going to tap into it, put the bias valve in.. that way he can change it to what he want.. But at the moment.. hmmmm yeh.. in the wet its just dangerous... plain outright.. In the dry aint to much better either tho, you get to a point and cya l8r.. the fronts go and it just takes ages for rears to catchup (well it feels like ages when your heading for another car Smile
Ill let ya know how this valve thing works..

Ben: There the rotors i was thinking of getting.. are they the DBA jobbies? if so did you notice a real improvement.. please be honest cause i dun wanna blow 400 on new rotors to find them not any better.. Sad
Also the pads your using.. the ebc ones. What are the part numbers if you know? and how do they perform.. do you need to warm those up before a good slog or are they ok out of the bag?

ALL MR2 OWNERS:
Does anyone know the Rotor Dimensions for:
N/A Aw11 MR2: Front and rear?
S/C Aw11 MR2: Front and rear?

The reason i ask is, my mate said he saw some s/c mr2 struts and the discs were noticeably larger? I was under the impression that the n/a >87 had the same braking gear? 258mm on the front?

Anyways.. back to some flat out research of the web here on this damn brake fiasco.. although.. have you guys seen the KVR brake upgrade??? mmmmmm uuuuubbbbeeerrrr... drooooooolll...
Rolling Nod
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Tue, 20 August 2002 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i'm not sure of the exact sizes (i could go measure mine), but the s/c front disc are supposed to be bigger, when i ordered my half cut, the guy offered me the front struts which 'he said' were bigger rotors. unfortunately i only had enough moola to buy the half cut, so i didnt get them.
i still think upgrading the rear is a good option, could still put nice slotted rotors on the front, but the back deffinately needs to have more bias (or upgraded more than the front) i rekon anyway! i've done the good tyres thing, it still happens under extreme conditions. eg. when i need to stop in a REAL hurry.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Wed, 21 August 2002 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corvid - They are KVR disks I got from a GP in the states, I had to replace mine anyway and they wound up cheaper than buying standard ones locally.

I can't say I noticed a difference in normal braking, but, they seem to be able to handle a lot of abuse without fading. I've run semi-slicks at Wakefield without any sign of fade.

They seem to work fine from cold as well. I'll see if I can get some part numbers tonight.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Thu, 22 August 2002 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DBA Part numbers:
DB602
DB2453

Not sure which is front and which is back though. Only the fronts are greenstuff, the only make blackstuff (street kevlar) for the rear, they seem to work OK though..
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Fri, 23 August 2002 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what you mean corvid.
A good set of tyres may help,(you probably know this). I upgraded to Kumho ecsta supras, and theyre great.
Please let us know how you go with the brake conversion as my brakes feel like they are on the way out and Im keen for some fat calipers
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 mr2 Brakes? Thu, 19 September 2002 13:52 Go to previous message
Freak have a look at this............
http://www.board.mr2faq.com/showthread.php?s=& threadid=97372
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What Engine swap can I do on a 75 Corona(Rt104)?
Next Topic:What Exhaust? Celica SX 1998
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 08:16:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.16204500198364 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.