Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 01:25 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I've decided that I want the convenience of a digicam. This will serve the role of a simple point-and-shoot for photos that I don't really need quality.

I have two SLRs so I'm not really looking for quality here, just want features.

Would prefer one that saves videos in AVI or MPEG format since I can't view QuickTimes on my Linux box.
Aperature and shutter speed priority is a good bonus too since I'm an SLR man.

Just did a bit of research this morning and the Canon PowerShot A40 looks the goods. I think it's about $800 here.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/a40-review /

Anyone got any recommendations? Not looking to spend much money since I'd rather spend that money on my car or SLR instead...

While we're on the subject of digicams, check this one out!!! Farken tiny!
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0208/02082101sonyu10p review.asp
  Send a private message to this user    
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much that sony one ?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think it's been released yet... But would prolly cost quite a bit...

Love this pic...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0208/sonyu10/u10witht68.jpg
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a canon 50d it's SLR digital that uses all canon lens
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon11.gif  Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds expensive... I don't really want to spend too much on this camera since I'd rather buy accessories for the SLRs with any extra money...
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark, that tiny Sony one is actually quite cheap but is short on features. I just got one last week (Sony P9) it is 4 megapixel and has all the features you want plus heaps more. The only problem is that it was $1560!!!!! They have similar ones with say 2 megapixel resolution for around $800. Grab a Sony catalogue and have a look. The good thing about getting a Sony one is that the memory stick is interchangable with all their stuff(phones,mouse,MP3 players etc)

Jamie.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a Fuji Finepix S602 which is pretty sweet.

Bought it for $1500 from a place in Melbourne... normally retail for about $1800.

Its about as close as you can get to a Digital SLR without spending +$4K

6 megapixel effective CCD. 6X optical zoom and full manual shutter, aperture, focus etc controls... Also does some nice sequence shots at up to 2.8 frames per second..... Takes movies in AVI format at 640*480 limited in length only by the size of your memory card (takes Compact Flash or Smart media)

Sounds like it may be a bit more than what your after but thats what I thought before I had a look at one of these things... Very sweet camera....

Now to fulfill my quest of finding girls willing to take their clothes off infront of the camera Nod
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I probably wouldn't go any worse than a 2 Megapixel camera.
When talking about zoom Digital Zoom SUCKS it takes some of the quailty out or something so go optical. Lots have both. But if you are looking a zoom make sure it has good optical zoom.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a Cannon PowerShot Pro90es, and I quite like it.
One of the main reasons I bought it was because it's got a 10x optical zoom, so I can get right into a lot of places and not have to dig into the digital zoom at all. Makes it a bit bulky, but that's the price you pay for good optics.
5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't want to spend a fortune on digicamera. Opted for a Sony P5.
It does a good job, many settings to goof around with. An experienced SLR photographer may be a tad upset for lack of certain options tho'. With Sony P5 one cannot set it beforehand, and expect it to go off at that instant when shutter is pressed. Even if all possible pre-determined values are fed in (= film ISO rating, distance, value of overexposure/underexposure, indoor/outdoor tone compensation...) the darn camera will whizz and ponder before taking the shot. This is a handicap when attempting to take a pic on some fast moving object or event.

I took it to see Finnish WRC rally event. Taking pics on cars sliding sideways in corners - no problems. Only when cars were coming towards me over a crest at 160km/h I could not get any pics. With good reflexes and SLR camera that could have bee done.

That pretty much is the only downside of this marvellous piece of engineering. I am quite happy how small it is, it travels along as easy as a cellphone. This is definately a plus as comparing to SLR's.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P5/ZP5A.JPG

[Updated on: Thu, 22 August 2002 20:34]

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5KinkP60 - How much does your model camera retail for? (if you don't mind me asking..)

Remedy - Yours sounds pretty awesome! (I'm kinda loyal to Fuji having owned a Fuji Finepix for the last 2 years).. I'm currently considering upgrading, so i might keep your model in mind. Smiley =

[Updated on: Thu, 22 August 2002 22:25]

andrewvibert
Forums Junkie

Forum Sponsor

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Thu, 22 August 2002 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just purchased a Cannon Power Shot A100. With a card reader allup it was $500 at harvey Norman . It does everything that I want. Cant recomend it highly enough.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Fri, 23 August 2002 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms - just onto this thread

With digicams you get what you pay for - obvious i know

I have a DC3400 ( kodak ) - payed 800 for it 18 months ago and its a brilliant camera for taking pics for cruises and stuff - was voted the best mid range camera two years running

A friend has a canon Ixus - As good pictures but at 1000 bux pricvetag .. Its teenytiny though - very compact - which is handy if you just want one to slip into yur pocket

Sony Cameras are getting good too - but they are still pricey for memory i believe ..

best bet is to pay over 500 bux - get yourself a decent one with a optical zoom - a minimum od 2 megapixel resolution , and compact flash memory cards IMHO

5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Fri, 23 August 2002 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Lucid'

I cannot remember conversion rate to AU$. The camera went for about something like 4300 HongKong$. 128Meg memory was like 560HK$. Model specific carry bag 280HK$. Spare battery was something like 250HK$. (My work took me to Hong Kong, took advantage of it and bought this while there).

As comparing to prices here in Finland I saved maybe like 45%. This was about 6 months ago. Prices do come tumbling down on any hi-tech marvel. Thesedays this camera sells for about 850Euro's with standard 8Meg memory and no carry bag.

A spare battery is something that has actually prooven useful. During an 'active weekend' there may not be a chance to recharge that one and only battery.
I sometimes extend battery life by switching off display screen for long periods of time. Once you have experience with settings, there will be less need to verify outcome of each shot right after it has been taken.
frebbles
Regular

May 2002

icon14.gif  Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Sat, 24 August 2002 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just bought an Ixus330...Canon made camera, It looks absolutely beautiful, and might I add it may seem like just a pretty face, however, it does everything, even Sepia effects on photos and videos, In playback it can even display photo histograms to show you the exposure of the photo, very nice camera if you are willing to pay a little more for it.
It is 2Mega pixel, 3x optical zoom and 2.5x digital zoom.
1600x1200 max resolution
3 res modes, 3 compression modes(Including RAW)
movie modes, adding "Sound notes" to photos.
and many effect modes, coping with flourescent lighting is easy, as well as cloudy weather, this thing pulls colour from who knows where, but it's a really good buy!. Very Happy
justinharwoodran
Regular

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Sun, 25 August 2002 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We use a cheap Canon Powershot A10 1.3 megapixel at work. It sux and it takes a very average pic. I think it cost around the $500 mark. Like the boys said, get something sweet and you'll be happy with it for years. I'd go for a Sony 4 megapixel digital camera like Jamie's, maybe the price on these will drop around xmas time?

Justin
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Sun, 25 August 2002 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate is interested in a digital camera at around the $500 mark... It has to be able to hold around 150 shots and it will be mainly used for day shots...
Paul, what digi cam do you have??? Are they still available to buy brand new and how much roughly would it cost??? Thanks mate...
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Mon, 26 August 2002 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben - From memory they were discontinuing the model I got when I bought it (hence I saved a fair bit at the time). Fuji did replace it with an almost identical model shortly afterwards which had a few more little features. Just remember, at the end of the day it's only 1.3 megapixel, and while it's ok for close-up shots of things, it's not that great once you start moving away from your target.
GZ20TT
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Mon, 26 August 2002 03:25 Go to previous message
I've got the Powershot A20 and I have no problems with it whatsoever. The A40 is the replacement.

Takes a little getting used to though as it has so many features, but once you learn them it's great.

Controls aren't too bad either - not too fiddly or unintuitive.

Takes some excellent pics at high resolution, has digi and optical zoom and the panoramic phots you can take with the photostitch function are fantastic.

Good luck with it.
There are plenty more good digital cameras around than there used to be.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How do u submit a web site to search engines??
Next Topic:Toymods swap meet?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 11:10:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049529075622559 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.