Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 02:51 Go to next message
Hey all!

This is not for a Toyota, for a Nissan. Is there someway of possibly using a multimetre to determine positive and negative on the wiring? Stupid oem wiring never make sense Confused

Thanks guys 'n gals !
  Send a private message to this user    
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
**admin edit to remove dangerously wrong info**

sorry Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 09:05] by Moderator

rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you tell if there is no + or - on the speaker connections? Typical oem plug :/

So there's not too much point trying to figure out which is +ve and which is -ve?
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Typically most OEM speakers have to seperate size connectors. A big one and a Small one. Saying that - I've never installed a stereo in a Toyota.

**admin edit to remove reference to dangerously wrong info**

sorry Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 09:07] by Moderator

praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are the colour codes of the wires? are they similar?

like...right side is blue, blue and white
left is green, green and white

if so, just match up the strips and solids and then make one +ve and the other -ve
as long as you do it the same on all 4 it doesn't matter

sorry Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 09:07] by Moderator

T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 13:48]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak there is an easy way out of it working from the wires at the HU. wire in your speakers to the left, right, front, rear etc. to the HU.
then useing your balance control check the speakers (on the front channel), move the balance from the center to one side (doesnt matter if it be left or right). if you have more bass from the left or the right speaker than when the balance is in the center, your speakers are out of phase. to correct this you only need to change the + and - around on one of the speakers wires at the HU. then it should sound more bass with the balance in the middle that on either side, which means they are now in phase.

do that again with the rear channel to see if they are right.

Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

re: AC/DC
if speakers were running of alternating current you would have to send the earth back to the head unit/amp - but you can in fact earth it to the body. hence its all DC.

DO NOT EARTH A SPEAKER'S (-) TERMINAL TO THE CHASSIS OF THE CAR!!!!!!!! It may work, but it is VERY BAD for both the speaker and the headunit. I do not know where you got this information but i suggest that you take it and throw it into the COMPLETE BULLSHIT pile.

Here is the method of finding out the correct phase of your speakers:

1. Take one battery of any type (i like 9V)
  2. Find the pair of wires for the speaker in question and briefly touch the speaker's wires to the battery. Take note of which direction the speaker moves when it "pops"
  3. If the speaker moves OUT, you have the correct phase (wire touching + on battery is the + wire for the speaker). If the speaker moves IN when it pops, you have a reversed phase.
  4. That is all.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh yes, thanks Witzl ! I had been told that before, but I'm just dumb and always forget stuff :/

hehe, its actually running thru 2 little Clarion amps (stock) bolted to the bottom of the parcel shelf... But what I might do, is get the orig. speakers, and do the battery thing, then, I can see which is +ve and -ve from the gay plugs they use!

THANKS DUDE!!
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you take the -ve and wire it to the car body, does your tacho bounce with the music? Laughing
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak well yes there certainly is that way you described Karl.
but not everyone is keen on getting thier speaker grills off to look at the cone.. Laughing

earthing a speaker wire on equipment now days is more than likely to blow the output chip on your HU. some of the older factory gear and some cheap arse bodgy HU still use the speaker earth method though.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Speakers Run on DC current. it is generally 2.83v DC.

SO yes it does matter what polarity they are hooked up to.

+ to + and - to - gives a forward cone motion (correct)

+ to - and - to + gives a backward cone motion (wrong)

Is there one small and one large terminal on the speaker? Large will be the +.

sorry Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 09:09] by Moderator

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Mr Moderator Smile

Please remember the Tech forum rules when answering a question people, mainly:

Quote:

BEFORE POSTING a new thread, please use the Search function to look for any existing material that may already exist in the Forum back catalogue. Use of Google is also encouraged to get an idea of basic concepts BEFORE asking more specific questions.

AND ESPECIALLY!!!

Quote:

PLEASE do not simply regurgitate what you've overheard or read somewhere else, and call it your 'expert' contribution to a thread. Posts like this simply propagate misinformation. If you think you can refer someone to relevant web resources, by all means do so, but please do not make an independent 'statement of fact' about an issue unless you can substantiate it.

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no wakka's karl Nod

sorry to those above i edited... just that some of the info there could get people into some serious trouble with their audio equipment....
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still dont agree that speakers run on DC current. A low level signal into an amp runs on DC at about 2-2.5v, but speakers run on AC.
A speaker works by having AC current going into the coil. On the +ve side the coil moves out, on the -ve side the coil moves in, hence the speaker moves in and out and makes sound Smile
Why do you think that when you wire up a sub, if you have it face backwards in the boot of your car you have to wire it 'out of phase'? This means that when all the other speakers move out, it moves in - because its backwards physically in the boot!

Link from howstuff works...

Essentially, the amplifier is constantly switching the electrical signal, fluctuating between a positive charge and a negative charge on the red wire. Since electrons always flow in the same direction between positively charged particles and negatively charged particles, the current going through the speaker moves one way and then reverses and flows the other way. This alternating current causes the polar orientation of the electromagnet to reverse itself many times a second.

So how does this fluctuation make the speaker coil move back and forth? The electromagnet is positioned in a constant magnetic field created by a permanent magnet. These two magnets -- the electromagnet and the permanent magnet -- interact with each other as any two magnets do. The positive end of the electromagnet is attracted to the negative pole of the permanent magnetic field, and the negative pole of the electromagnet is repelled by the permanent magnet's negative pole. When the electromagnet's polar orientation switches, so does the direction of repulsion and attraction. In this way, the alternating current constantly reverses the magnetic forces between the voice coil and the permanent magnet. This pushes the coil back and forth rapidly, like a piston.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, its an alternating DC current

doesnt make it an AC current in the traditional sense by any means though

edit: clarification - i guess tchnically you *could* call it an alternating current, simply because the polarity does switch, HOWEVER if you slow things down a bit - the current that is used to drive the coil in one direction is a simple DC current. if you wanted to hold the coil in a given position (ie not vibrate) you would simply apply a single DC supply. now in order to make it vibrate and make noise, the polarity has to change, and the RATE of alternation of the DC current is managed by the amp.

this is different to saying the power supply to the coil is AC... its just a variably timed alternating DC

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 11:56]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that has absolutely no relevance to the current question. (not you ed)

Look at anything off a 240v signal..they have no + or -. It is a/c. hence it has no + and -,
- A/C stands for "alternating current" i.e it flows back and forth through both terminals.
- D/c flows in through one terminal and out the other...just like a speaker works.

Having a speaker in a boot firing in any direction has no relevance to its polarity or setup. you can wire up any speaker in any way to suit how you like the sound.

Wiring a speaker out of phase doesnt damage the speaker in any way either. A speakers maximum excursion characteristics, are the max it can go forward without slapping the voice coil, and the maximum it can move backwards without smashing the voice coil on the magnet. E.g i have a 15" 2000w speaker. Its max excursion is around 2" or 50mm.
This means, the speaker moves 1" out, and 1" in. overall movement being 2".

All wiring the speaker out of phase does is time delay. I.e wiring it out of phase will give a delay on the speaker wired so. A lot of good quality speakers in boxes, with 2 way horns/ speakers. have the hf driver wired out of phase, because coupled to its horn flare, its magnet sits a lot further back then the speakers'. Hence you need to put a delay on the horn to make the sound co-herent...wire it out of phase is the answer.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 11:53]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think a few of you should read some 2nd year electrical engineering texts - namely "ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING: Principles and Applications" and any "SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS" texts.

A sound wave is the sum of an arbitrary number of sine waves of varying amplituded and frequency. Take ANY sound wave and you can break it down into individual sine waves added together.

Thus, in a way, a sound wave IS AC - but not in the sense that some of you are talking about (240V mains). It is a non-linear signal, in which voltage moves about a mean point (0 Volts).

In the situation of a speaker, this change in voltage from posititve to negative is what moves the speaker's coil back and forth around a "mean" resting point (0 volts). Wiring a speaker "out of polarity" is an incorrect statement, since there really is no polarity to speak of in a sinusoidal system. If you wire up a speaker backwards you are wiring it "out of phase", meaning that the speaker will move in the opposite direction of what is intended, placing the sound wave 180deg out of phase with the original signal.

If this doesnt clear anything up - please read the aforemention texts.

EDIT: as far as amplifiers go.... lets not get confused by switchmode technology tonight ok?

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 12:21]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even so, power going to speakers from an amplifier is DC.
read any amplifier specs, see what the output voltage or anything is.

Look at a speakers efficiency ratings - itll say @1w,1m. or @ 2.83v dc
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i was taught what i posted in my 1st post when i was working as an audio installer, to work out the phase of speakers easily in a system.
it worked for me well over the 8 year span that i did audio installs. i know i cant remember all i learnt (bloody comma, or was it that stuff i did when i was younger)... Laughing but i still remember a fair bit..

Wink
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe these threads are so funny.. everyone is so quick to jump on the out of phase bandwagon, when in truth inside a car the signals hitting you are so out of phase due to reflections it doesnt make a damn difference anyway Very Happy

Car systems always sound toss.. its the worst place in the world to install a setup.

Anyway, are we talking about trying to find out which wire is pos or which speaker terminal is pos? Either way the answer is the same.. trace it back to the head unit and see which wire goes to where. Same with the speaker... it'll be marked.
Simple really...

I totally aggree with the admin... threads such as this are always guessed at by people with loads of different opinions. I was in professional sound for ten years, but i still get it wrong occasionally same as everyone else... hence doing the cabling right in the first place is the only way to get it 100%.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 12:43]

T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 08 March 2004 15:24

Quote:

re: AC/DC
if speakers were running of alternating current you would have to send the earth back to the head unit/amp - but you can in fact earth it to the body. hence its all DC.

DO NOT EARTH A SPEAKER'S (-) TERMINAL TO THE CHASSIS OF THE CAR!!!!!!!! It may work, but it is VERY BAD for both the speaker and the headunit. I do not know where you got this information but i suggest that you take it and throw it into the COMPLETE BULLSHIT pile.

Here is the method of finding out the correct phase of your speakers:

1. Take one battery of any type (i like 9V)
  2. Find the pair of wires for the speaker in question and briefly touch the speaker's wires to the battery. Take note of which direction the speaker moves when it "pops"
  3. If the speaker moves OUT, you have the correct phase (wire touching + on battery is the + wire for the speaker). If the speaker moves IN when it pops, you have a reversed phase.
  4. That is all.

Wow, that seems a bit rude. Did I ever suggest that it be done? Nope
Was my information incorrect ? nope.
Was it complete bullshit as you put it? nope

The reason I mentioned it was because that wiring setup was found on some amplifier wiring in a car, and sorry I can't remember where, I was just bemused at the time as to why people would bother wiring it this way. But I also realised that, well It would work. In fact the information was used simply to show the lack of an AC circuit.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Karl, that was pretty much what I was trying to say...
which links back to my original post where I said it doesn't matter which way you wire it, as long as they are all the same. ie - all the speakers are IN PHASE with each other
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Mon, 08 March 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not true.. it does matter... to the speakers for a start.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 23:52]

praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why does it matter?
From my knowledge it doesn't matter. From what Karl has said it shouldn't matter either. but i am open to listen if you can tell me why it would.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 00:48]

Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somewhere above The Witzl mentioned speakers out of phase meant the audio output was 180 degrees out of phase - or words to that effect. He is 100% correct and the effect is easily tested in your car. If your speakers are in phase (use the battery test and a 1.5v AA will do) as you move your head from one side of the car to the other you will not loose any sound. If your speakers are out of phase you will find that you loose sound in the middle which is where the out of phase soundwaves from the speakers null each other out. The same process can be applied to the front/rear aspects. True that a car is a poor place to try to get "perfect" sound but phasing your speakers is an easy and basic place to start.
So to the original question, it doesn't matter which is '+' and which is'-' as long as all the speakers are set up the same way.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 01:45]

praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woohoo someone agree's with me Smile
Seadog
Regular

May 2002
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah here we are again arguing the semantics of the english language. Just one point, try not to hold a DC current (ie. 9V batt.) on the speaker terminals for too long as it can damage the voice coil. Hmmm interesting.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed you are correct seadog, which is why i said to touch it briefly Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 04:43]

Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...and why I said a 1.5v AA will do the job as well. Very Happy
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread could go on forever,so im giving up now Very Happy

But the best way to make sure everything is wired up right is in this sentence.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CAR AUDIO: Determining +/- on oem speakers/wiring Tue, 09 March 2004 12:20 Go to previous message
Scorpion wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 11:42

If your speakers are in phase (use the battery test and a 1.5v AA will do) as you move your head from one side of the car to the other you will not loose any sound. If your speakers are out of phase you will find that you loose sound in the middle which is where the out of phase soundwaves from the speakers null each other out. The same process can be applied to the front/rear aspects.

which is basically the same as what i 1st posted. though i use some music and my ears, less bass response in the middle than when balanced to one side = out of phase. Wink

Quote:

So to the original question, it doesn't matter which is '+' and which is'-' as long as all the speakers are set up the same way.

i concur.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AFM question
Next Topic:Twin clutch?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 06:44:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082168579101562 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.