AuthorTopic
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 03:06 Go to next message

ATi vs nVidia[ 24 vote(s) ]
1.nVidia 11 / 46%
2.ATi 13 / 54%

just want to get everyones opinions. i have been an nvidia man, but have been doing some research (buying a notebook) and out of the simliar specs for an ati mobility and an nvidia mobility, the ati seems to win out.

the notebook graphic capabilities of the notebook will be uesd for
1. games (of course)
2. 3d modeling
3. 3d rendering
4. posibly video editing

cheers
evan

Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to be an nVidia fan, but the ATis have won me over. Plus they support Linux better, so that's a BIG plus in my eyes.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yes forgot to mention that it will be a dual-boot, so i guess that is another plus for the ati Very Happy
Simon
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATI all the way! Very Happy Cool
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a fat ATI, same i used to be an nvidia boy, and before that voodoo ect ect backwards, but i think ati are the best (well last time i checked anyway)

who here builds there own computers?
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 16:13

who here builds there own computers?

i do, and i vote 1 for nvida only cause im running a geforce
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I've got two good video cards, and they're both nVidia and I voted ATi! Smile

I also build my own 'coz it's cheaper and you get exactly what you want. Plus if I were to buy a computer that'd suit my specs, I'd have to pay for a server. There aren't many desktops based on SCSI Ultra160 peripherals to start with... Wink
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm personal blade server Very Happy
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i built all of our last 3 comptuers cos it works out lots cheaper if u do it,

it gets easier each time Smile
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you seen the dual processor motherboards??
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have, but i read the actual beneift wasnt that great, plus you have to buy 2 cpu's
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought the out come was extremly good, and everything was super fast like to two 4ghz cpus would make 8 6ghz computer Shocked
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke70_3SGTE wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 18:58

i thought the out come was extremly good, and everything was super fast like to two 4ghz cpus would make 8 6ghz computer Shocked

Unless you have software that can actually use both cpu's at once, then it's really only like using a 4ghz machine. Both cpu's arn't "fused" together to make an 8ghz "cpu". It's a little more technical than that. Wink

That being said, I have a dual ppro and a dual socket7 Very Happy I plan on setting the dual ppro back up as a neogeo arcade machine. Very Happy

And nark, you got expensive tastes there buddy. Smile Have you tried SATA yet? I'm running 2x maxtor 120GB SATA drives in RAID0 here. They run nice for my requirements. Smile

Mmmm... I better post something on topic....

Nvidia here. I used to have a 32meg radeon before I got my gf4ti 4200. As for my next card, I dunno, probably nvidia again. But I know my next video card will be a pci-x based card as I still see no need/use to "upgrade" my current card. I have every confidence that it will run doom3 and hl2 when they come out. Heck, I have every confidence my gf2 in my lan machine will too. Smile
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ohhhhhhhhh k, so it only uses the other processor when needed?

neogeo arcade????
Techie
Occasional Poster

February 2004

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My notebook has an Intel Intergrated grapics processor in it, Not sure what it is exactly. But i do video editing, play games and do most things things with, pretty impressed with it so far. It's a Fujitsu Lifebook S, with a 1.4g Centrino processor and 256mb Ram(needs more i know)

I have a GeForce 4 in my desktop machine, but in 2 minds when to spend the splash and upgrade. Specially with PCI Express on the verge of release. Its likely that will send current technology crashing through the floor.

As for the point of the topic. I am unsure of which is better, i have heard conflicting stories between both. My friends have both types of cards and I think the real life performance differences are minimal, but i believe that the ATI cards have better looking graphics. As for the mobility type graphics chips, i haven't seen them yet.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke70_3SGTE wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 19:58

oh ohhhhhhhhh k, so it only uses the other processor when needed?

neogeo arcade????

Very basically, yes.

Neogeo. You know. You have been to an arcade havn't you? Wink Metal slug ring a bell? Very Happy

I have a bunch of the game "roms" that I run under an emulator on the computer.

Quote:

My notebook has an Intel Intergrated grapics processor in it, Not sure what it is exactly. But i do video editing, play games and do most things things with, pretty impressed with it so far. It's a Fujitsu Lifebook S, with a 1.4g Centrino processor and 256mb Ram(needs more i know)

I have a GeForce 4 in my desktop machine, but in 2 minds when to spend the splash and upgrade. Specially with PCI Express on the verge of release. Its likely that will send current technology crashing through the floor.

As for the point of the topic. I am unsure of which is better, i have heard conflicting stories between both. My friends have both types of cards and I think the real life performance differences are minimal, but i believe that the ATI cards have better looking graphics. As for the mobility type graphics chips, i haven't seen them yet.

Centrino. Nice. Smile

But yea, when it comes to actually playing games, I agree that there isn't really any difference between them either these days. But for the mobility ones I think that basically either a gf5600 or a radeon 9600 both with at least 64meg ram would suffice. Plus I've even seen notebooks with the ability to upgrade the graphics "card" in them too. Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Two 4GHz CPUs won't equal an 8GHz CPU. There are many factors that come into it like memory bandwidth.

And, yes, I have expensive tastes. Sad
My b0x3n cost me shitloads. Sad

But it's got really fast I/O! Smile

I have a SATA drive, but there's no way it can match the 10,000rpm Ultra160s... Not even close, especially when it comes to CPU usage.
I can burn a CD with 0 CPU load. Smile
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehendrikd wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 14:06

buying a notebook

ehendrikd wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 14:06

1. games (of course)
2. 3d modeling
3. 3d rendering
4. posibly video editing

do you really need a notebook? it will be second rate to almost anything desktop and cost more..
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 21:25

Two 4GHz CPUs won't equal an 8GHz CPU. There are many factors that come into it like memory bandwidth.

And, yes, I have expensive tastes. Sad
My b0x3n cost me shitloads. Sad

But it's got really fast I/O! Smile

I have a SATA drive, but there's no way it can match the 10,000rpm Ultra160s... Not even close, especially when it comes to CPU usage.
I can burn a CD with 0 CPU load. Smile

Yep, that and the CPU bus, but that's also depending on architecture, but anyway...

... Yea, no denying the SCSI has the I/O, but it does have the cost as you know. Wink I still don't think the SATA is too bad considering what I paid for it. Smile But what about the 10k raptors? Those are supposed to be nice.

Have you also seen lately they are moving to SFF servers? I forget which manufacturer it was now off the top of my head, but they are making servers with huge capacity 15k rpm 2.5" drives. Yea, laptop drives. I always knew that would be the next "evolution", (that we'd all be moving to 2.5" drives), but it's pretty cool when it does happen. Smile

Quote:

do you really need a notebook? it will be second rate to almost anything desktop and cost more..

A year ago I would have agreed, but now I don't.

Prices have come down, and frankly, for $2500-3000, I could buy a fully loaded (3.2ghz p4, 512meg ram, dvd burner, 7500rpm drive, 64/128meg video, etc etc) laptop. And it's better than my desktop, except for storage, but you get the point. Smile
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 23:24

Prices have come down, and frankly, for $2500-3000, I could buy a fully loaded (3.2ghz p4, 512meg ram, dvd burner, 7500rpm drive, 64/128meg video, etc etc) laptop. And it's better than my desktop, except for storage, but you get the point. Smile

Ok, for starters you'd get that much cheaper in a desktop for $3G's
Secondly, Upgradability.. if he wants to render and the like and laptop is not the way to go.

I understand laptops have their place, but they ARE NOT A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT.. im not aiming this at you, but im sick of all the people that ask me to fix/upgrade their computer so they can play games better, then they tell me its a p3 laptop that sits on their desk at home, then they get the shits when i tell them theres not much i can do other than add more ram (if its available) or reinstall windows (half of the problems most people have are from spyware). Mad

F**KING FASHION VICTIMS.. Its not cool to have a laptop.. Windowed towers with flashing lights are cool Razz Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a few ATI's and am not looking back...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

... Yea, no denying the SCSI has the I/O, but it does have the cost as you know. Wink I still don't think the SATA is too bad considering what I paid for it. Smile But what about the 10k raptors? Those are supposed to be nice.

Yeah, the price definately doesn't match the performance difference, but when you grew up with SCSIs, you just can't go back. I tried it once and just hated it. So for my own sanity, my main box is SCSI-only.
Actually, I have 5 boxes working and only two of them are IDE... Smile

Have you also seen lately they are moving to SFF servers? I forget which manufacturer it was now off the top of my head, but they are making servers with huge capacity 15k rpm 2.5" drives. Yea, laptop drives. I always knew that would be the next "evolution", (that we'd all be moving to 2.5" drives), but it's pretty cool when it does happen. Smile

Yeah, I read about this last month. Can't remember who it was. Seagate or Hitachi? You could pack a LOT of storage using those things... But then again, imagine a server running MicroDrives... They come in 4GB now... Shocked

An equivalent desktop would only cost you $1500.

Laptops have their place. If you move around and need your computer with you, then they're good. I have one and I find it invaluable between home and work.
But if I didn't have that need, then there's no way I'd get a lappy. They're way too freaking expensive.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Tue, 09 March 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the fact that i want a notebook for this doing this stuff is simple, i need to be able to take to different places easily.

i can already do all this stuff on my desktop (which incidently is an nvidia and the reason for this poll) but want to be able to stay at my gf's house who has pc that is only powerful enough for her tafe work, and continue to work on my 3d stuff.

incidently, i would actually benift from a dual processor system, the render process of 3dsmax (mental ray in particular) is one of the applications that takes advantage of the multiprocessors. the notebook i am looking at is a 3.2ghz p4 hyper threading & 800mhz fsb, so it will emulate dual processors at a hardware level, but still not as good as actually having 2 processors.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 00:27

Secondly, Upgradability.. if he wants to render and the like and laptop is not the way to go.

I understand laptops have their place, but they ARE NOT A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT.. im not aiming this at you, but im sick of all the people that ask me to fix/upgrade their computer so they can play games better, then they tell me its a p3 laptop that sits on their desk at home, then they get the shits when i tell them theres not much i can do other than add more ram (if its available) or reinstall windows (half of the problems most people have are from spyware). Mad

F**KING FASHION VICTIMS.. Its not cool to have a laptop.. Windowed towers with flashing lights are cool Razz Laughing

I feel your pain...

ATI VS nVidia

I used to be a dedicated nVidia supporter, still own a good ol trusty ti4200, but built up a system for my GF's brother with a Sapphire 9800XT. What can I say, IT FLIES! 18,000 3d marks (3D MARK 2001SE)

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-8PENXP V2
P4 3.2GHz HT
1Gb Dual Ch DDR
120SATA
etc...

Shop around, and such a system can be had for around the $2500 mark.

A little bit better than a silly bloody notebook!
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehendrikd wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 09:38

the fact that i want a notebook for this doing this stuff is simple, i need to be able to take to different places easily.

rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Build yourself up one of those little cube pc's and buy a TFT screen if you want a good system that will be easily upgradable and good for games/3d rendering etc.

Just depends how 'mobile' you need the thing to be...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen a funky case that has a handle built into it... Perfect for the LAN gamer. Smile
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These are the ones I have built up before, built one specifically for a LAN up 'ere on the coast. Got ALLOT of attention!
http://www.chyangfun.com/product/images/CF-EG65B_F.jpg
- Bundle CFI patent design Air Flow Guide for simple and silent solution
- Handle bar design for portable feature in DT PC
- Intel 865G + ICH5 with USB2.0 USB controller
- Integrated + Discrete Gfx AGP 8X support
- Extend AGP 8X slot and SATA pin head support
- Swing top cover feature support
- Transparent panel design ( Optional) Available for Silver , White and Black color

http://www.chyangfun.com/product/images/CF-EQ65.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 04:08]

speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it have a agp slot?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ati
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 15:07

- Integrated + Discrete Gfx AGP 8X support

Smiley =

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 08:05]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am glad I stumbled accoss this. My P4 1.4 is crying for a new Videocard so, ATI it will be Confused , though it would be replacing a nVidia MX400...

I have a (no name brand) laptop as and it has an SIS videocard and chipset... Never again, my next laptop will have at least have a branded videocard Sad

Cheers.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida Wed, 10 March 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 23:27

Don't worry, when it comes to computers I'm not stupid. Wink

I know that a desktop is cheaper, my point is that a decent laptop that can crap all over plenty of desktops out there isn't that expensive anymore. Wink Plus it's a little hard to take said desktop to uni everyday too.

And yes, I know about the end user stupidity, but the remark about windowed towers with flashing lights just put you the same group as car ricers. Unless you were being sarcastic there, then I could forgive. Smile

But I love my toshiba tecra 8000. Sure it's not a powerhouse, but it runs XP fine and does it's intended purpose of being a mobile word processor fine. Smile Plus even though it's only got a neomagic 2.5meg video card in it, it's perfect for playing all the old school games I like and can even do diabloII good too.

Everything has it's place. (Please don't leave that out if anyone wants to try and "entrap" me on some mis-quote).

Rvrolla, that's the FIC Icecube barebones PC box you have there. Wink

Nark,

http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure. php?ProdID=15000

If you can ignore the PC rice crap it's standard with, it's designed to be a LAN box. Aluminium = light and carry strap = umm, yea, carry strap. Smile

Oh yea, video cards, check this out people:

http://steampowered.com/status/survey.html

It's the halflife 2 hardware survey. I was very surprised at the first and 3rd entries.

Quote:

Yeah, the price definately doesn't match the performance difference, but when you grew up with SCSIs, you just can't go back. I tried it once and just hated it. So for my own sanity, my main box is SCSI-only.

Yea, my amiga 500 is SCSI only too. Smile But yea, I've had SCSI in my main rig before. Mainly when I had my first burner, (cost me $1100 for that SCSI yamaha 4-2-6 burner and I still have it too).

These days it's cost and the amount of storage I get that I've personally stuck with ATA and SATA drives.

Quote:

Yeah, I read about this last month. Can't remember who it was. Seagate or Hitachi? You could pack a LOT of storage using those things...

Yea that sounds right. Seagate/hitachi.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: NOT a nerdo poll: ATi vs nVidia Wed, 10 March 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Apollo wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 22:11Rvrolla, that's the FIC Icecube barebones PC box you have there. Wink[/quote]

Ahh no it wasn't Wink Rolling Eyes

I'm sure many company's have whacked their own badges on these sort of barebone mini systems. There are HEAPS of them around now, and I have seen the same design etc from different suppliers from different companies.

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: NOT a nerdo poll: ATi vs nVidia Thu, 11 March 2004 10:16 Go to previous message
[quote title=rvrolla wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 22:24]
Apollo wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 22:11Rvrolla, that's the FIC Icecube barebones PC box you have there. Wink[/quote

Ahh no it wasn't Wink Rolling Eyes

I'm sure many company's have whacked their own badges on these sort of barebone mini systems. There are HEAPS of them around now, and I have seen the same design etc from different suppliers from different companies.

Looked like it:

http://www.barebonesetc.com/candypress/scripts/pro dView.asp?idproduct=213

Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:bodybuilding
Next Topic:Job, IT Related
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:04:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061230659484863 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar