Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Panda Tofu ^_^
Regular

January 2004
4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 07:02 Go to next message
A lesson to all those drivers out there who think they are invincible...

It was early sunday morning around 3am in the eastern foot hills of Adelaide, where me and 3 other guys went for a cruise with a Pulsar GTiR and a S4 Rx7. We decided to take the Summit road that night, and as some of u south aussies will know its not the best place to go driving when u dont know the road. Bout half way through all was good and my 86 was easily keeping pace with the Rx7 who was taking it quite easy as he was still learning manual. Overtaking the Rx7 as he took a wrong turn I took chase for the GTiR infront of me, comfortably drifting 2 mild corners I caught up to the GTiR, however he sped off again on a straight which lead into a slow left...where the scariest event in my life was to take place...not knowing the road and not observing the partially hidden hairpin warning sign telling drivers to take the corner at 25km/h i continued traveling at 70km/h round the corner where it suddenly tightened on me and caught me totally on surprise...I downshifted to 2nd and breaked atempting to slow down and try to drift the corner as it was the only option left as i was going to fast to stop. Though with the other 3 guys in the car the momentum was too much and the cars right wheels were dumped into the start of which turned out the be a very very steep gradient embankment, rittled with trees...I tried to countersteer out of the ditch but the tires just sank into the soil and the inevitable happend. The front right quater hit a tree at around 50km/ph i am guessing almost stopping us instantly, but also causing the engine and entire bonnet to catch fire...at this point all i am thinking about is getting out of the car but the event just got worse as the car began to slide and roll down the embankent hitting trees on the way down which stopped out roll...luckilly a large tree caught us and the car stopped on all four wheels. At this point the front of the car was engulfed in flames and i looked over to my right to the pasangers in the car telling them to climb out of the pasanger window that had broke in the roll. Some how all of us got out of the car without injury, however the car was absolutly gutted as i could see monday morning when we towed the car out. As the copper said when he questioned me about the accident, we were very very lucky to get out alive, especially without any injuries apart from scratches and bruises.

The third party covers the damage caused to everything apart from the car, however i am just glad we all got out safe and sound. Guys this was an expensive and well learnt lesson for me and i hope it is for anyone atempting to go on a "hills cruise" and have some "fun" because we are not invincible i was just lucky to get out of this one alive, and i can tell you that i wont be driving for a while as something that almost takes your life away in a blink of an eye will deter you for some time.

I was taking it fairly badly at first however after the copper talked to me about the road up there, i got a different view on it. He said, that corner had taken many lives and that me and my passangers were among the few that had escaped it alive. So i consider my self extreamly lucky, and i hope this will make others more cautious of their driving as anything can happen at anytime, so please guys be careful when u have fun.

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucky escape, very lucky.

Glad everyone is alright, but a good point to show that one should know the road before they want to "drive" the road.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on my last adelaide hills cruise i slid through a stop sign sideways going very quick, i was doing near 180 when i locked the brakes up (because a stop sign and bank were coming up. probably slid through the sign half sideways at about 150, luckily i was heading in kinda the right directino and the road was angled so i slid up the road but its lucky there wasnt a car coming.

my skid marks were VERY VERY long, probalby around 100m, there was more smoke than any live burnout ive seen too

luckliy nothing was damaged, and im glad all of u guys got out of the car ok!!!!!!

when i crashed (different occasion)i put a friend in hospital for a week (suspected internal injuries) he was fine but its not a good feeling

be carefull cruising people
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn thats lucky, i know the feeling.

yeah good advice, take it easy if you are unfamiliar with a section of road.
my mate learnt the hard way with myself and another guy in the car, wrote off an impreza into a telegraph pole, i was in the back middle and the others in the front, hit the pole sideways but i can't remember 5 mins before the accident and i've got a blank for a while after.

this happenned on yanko road west pymble for those in sydney who know the area,

http://members.optusnet.com.au/finnfamily/Davescra sh.JPG

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 10:18]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Link is wrong, but i saw the pics.

Ahh the infamous Commenara Parkway (yanko road). Its an awesome drivers road late at night and im very familiar with it, travelling it frequently but im guessing it was the 3 consecutive hooking, long hairpins that were 'dave's' undoing?

Not the sort of road i would be wanting to drive spiritedly through on my first attempt, or you will be running out of talent very quickly.
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy crap , that suburu is really messed up.

I drive yanko road a fairbit and yes it takes a while to get the skill to go at fullball through it. I've had a passenger twice while driving and needless to say they got a little scared.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that happenned just after turning off ryde rd, when you go down the big dip where the ovals start on your right, we hit the pole on the right hand side of the road after the traffic island on the way up and ended up going through the old wire fence onto the oval, if that nakes sense...

sorry for the hijack Panda Tofu ^_^
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im sorry finney, but thats just fukin retarded Shocked

He ran out of talent on a straight before the fun even starts! Id hate to think what would have happened had the car made the twisties.

A few months back, on the other hand a north shore private school kid took dadies new M3 and managed to bottom out at the bottom of that hill, accelerated and obviously launched it off the crest where ur mate also lost it and put it into the big tree on the left. A couple of people died from that accident.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know it was retarded but i'd rather ending up on an oval instead of in a tree, but it's only now that i start to take that dip with some speed again (crash took place just over 2 years ago)
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another hachi off to the scrapyard in the sky

thank god your okay, sounds pretty bad!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's the reason I never drive nuts with people in the car. I could live with writing my car off, and nearly writing myself off.
I could not live with writing one of my friends off - I know exactly how badly that would tear me apart.

I'm glad you and your mates got out of it unscathed - at least your learning experience didn't cost you anyhting but a car and some dignity Smile
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see everyone is okay.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Tue, 09 March 2004 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 18:47

on my last adelaide hills cruise i slid through a stop sign sideways going very quick, i was doing near 180 when i locked the brakes up (because a stop sign and bank were coming up. probably slid through the sign half sideways at about 150, luckily i was heading in kinda the right directino and the road was angled so i slid up the road but its lucky there wasnt a car coming.

my skid marks were VERY VERY long, probalby around 100m, there was more smoke than any live burnout ive seen too

luckliy nothing was damaged, and im glad all of u guys got out of the car ok!!!!!!

when i crashed (different occasion)i put a friend in hospital for a week (suspected internal injuries) he was fine but its not a good feeling

Obviously didn't learn from your previoyus experience Rolling Eyes

This is also a classic example of upgrading other associated parts (suspension, tryes, brakes etc) when the engine has been upgraded.

Too many people don't know how to drive sensibly over the limit. I agree with Draven, if going berko, do it alone and at a safe time and be very mindful of other people on the road. The other thing that is more sensible is to do it on a cicuit rather than the road.

Less things to hit !!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Wed, 10 March 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

that's the reason I never drive nuts with people in the car. I could live with writing my car off, and nearly writing myself off.
I could not live with writing one of my friends of

pearls of wisdom man. I couldn't agree more Smile
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Wed, 10 March 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very true rob,

when you go nuts with other people in the car you may feel fine but they don't know what you're thinking and planning on doing in the next few seconds
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4 guys, a stock sprinter and a night i will never forget... Wed, 10 March 2004 06:16 Go to previous message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 09:20

lang wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 18:47

This is also a classic example of upgrading other associated parts (suspension, tryes, brakes etc) when the engine has been upgraded.

i duno if this bit was directed at me, but it was in 2 different cars, the crash was about 4 years earlier than the stop sign incident. i now have 3 rules for safe driving that i allways stick to.

1. only drive fast if you know the road well
2. only drive fast if you have had expierence in the current road conditions in that paticular place
3.only drive fast if you know your cars limits very well

if you think about it, race car drives never drive in unknown conditions or an unknown route, with the exception of rally drivers, and they atleast have pace notes saying the length and shape of each corner infront..

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Back on the road
Next Topic:Why do car's hate me so much?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:25:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042798519134521 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.