Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » jza70 - oil pump or bearings?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
jza70 - oil pump or bearings? Tue, 09 March 2004 14:58 Go to next message
okay.. so i've got bottom end knock.. have had for a while but always though it was oil pump as it didnt have big end characteristics..
Basically it only happens between 2-4 mins of warming up, and is completely silent at any other time... its a dull knocking sound, loud enough to be heard but far from a clatter.

Anyway, ive just stethoscoped it and its def coming fom the sump area...

so.. my question is how do i know if its oil pump or bottom shells? Surely i wont be able to tell by looking? So what happens if i replace the shells only to find its oil pump? is there any definitive way to tell?

The only reaon im wondering is that i've heard that oil pump failure can sound similar to big end knock..

Ayone have any pointers or experience?

PS on the EPC the bearing set is listed as "mark1" "mark2" etc etc all the way to mark 5..anyone know the difference?

Cheers
adi

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 15:04]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: jza70 - oil pump or bearings? Tue, 09 March 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ,that sounds bad!!
do you have an oil pressure gauge? if not grab one and see what the pressure actually is.

what oil are you using? regularly changed?

if you have oil pressure and oil is good, then you have something mechanically wrong with the big ends

what kind of oil pump failure have you heard of that makes that sound? whether it is oil pump or big ends is bad, and should be seen to.. at least just to ease your mind... it's a lot of engine to go to waste if something comes apart Wink

good luck!!
CYa, Stewart
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: jza70 - oil pump or bearings? Tue, 09 March 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use semi 10/40,normally magnatec.. normally changed before it even has the chance to get dirty.. however there were signs of neglected oil changes before i got the car.. which is when i assume the initial damage happened.

I'm hoping to get away with a reshell only... i really dont want to pull the engine out..

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 15:33]

Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: jza70 - oil pump or bearings? Tue, 09 March 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The oil pump is located on the front of the crank on the JZ engines, so you'll have to remove the crank pulley, the covers, cam belt, water pump and sump and the whole front lower cover to be able to get to it - is accessed via a rear cover, 8-10 screws from memory.

They are a thickness reference of the bearing, which in turn sets the bearing clearances - this can be worked out from getting the number on the exhaust side of the rod (for example, on my 2j, all rods had a number 2) and then on the crank (front counter weight from memory, although it could be the rear 1, it's easy enough to tell, 1 has 7 digits (mains) and the other has 6 (rod big ends)) each 1 references to the size of the crank pin and the big end diameter in the rod.

so, if the crank has a 0, and the rod has a 2, you'd require a bearing number 2 - Bearings go from 1 through to 5.

If you've done a big end bearing, chances are the crank journal won't be looking too flash. You could be lucky and it might be ok, time will tell.

If it is a big end bearing failure, you'll need to replace rod bolts as they're TTY bolts - and in most cases when rod bolts are changed they recommend resizing the big end - something that can't be done with the rod/piston still in the engine.

Might be cheaper to find another motor.

I couldn't find any pictures of the marking on the original rods, but my aftermarket rods have the numbers - exhaust side of the rod, there is the number 'S2' machined into the rod - this is the big end size, stock rods will just have the number.

http://www.turbosupras.com/images/rebuild/2jz-gte/bottom_end/Eagle%20Rods/Installed%20Rods%202.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 20:22]

HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: jza70 - oil pump or bearings? Tue, 09 March 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Stenno.. great info... but kinda depressing at the same time Rolling Eyes

We'll now be pulling the engine anyway, as its been suggested it'll be easier to get to everything, and i can change my injectors and polish some stuff up at the same time.

You really think i'll need to resize the big end if i replace the bolts? Is this a necessity?
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: jza70 - oil pump or bearings? Wed, 10 March 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as an extra question.. do you know the spec of the crank? Ie diameter size of the journals etc... if not do you know where i could get it?

Cheers
adi
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: jza70 - oil pump or bearings? Wed, 10 March 2004 20:38 Go to previous message
Regarding resizing the rods - resizing the rods ensures proper bearing crush is maintained, something which can be effected by the changing of rod bolts.

Crank pin diamter ranges from 51.982 to 52.000mm depending on the marking number on the crank.

Full specs of the 2jz can be found on the mkiv.com site
http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/engine_service _specifications/index.htm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT4 ST162 with ST185 3sgte... how to convert digital speedo?
Next Topic:Repair VVT - rebuild VVT???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 19:39:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052809715270996 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.