Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:12 Go to next message
hey,

anyone else here do any weights/bodybuilding?

ive just started to get back into it in the last few weeks, feel heaps good but oh so very tired, did 2 hours of just weights at the gym.
  Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should try and keep a weights session under 45mins-1hr or it wont be beneficial at all.

Testosterone production declines at this point and no more gains will be realised.

Just make sure you eat 1.8-2g of protein per kg of your body weight, per day to realise the gains.

So for someone that is 90kg, you need 180g protein a day to grow!

This is where eating either alot of meat or taking a protein supplement/shake is needed.

Personal recomendation is MAX's WPI or Horleys Whey Factors for lean mass. Or if you want to bulk up uber quick, MAX's XTG woah! that stuff is potent!

Cool
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i take tires on and off every 30mins at work, so thats kinda body building Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep I also agree that Max's products are good shit Wink
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 20:33

Holy hell its expensive though!
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 20:31

Should try and keep a weights session under 45mins-1hr or it wont be beneficial at all.

even though the '1 hour' figure is commonly thrown about i don't entirely agree with that statement that it won't be beneficial

it would depend on what you are doing in that two hours - the muscle groups you work, intensity, reps/sets, rest time

without research to back up i would qualify that statement by saying that 'your body becomes less efficient after the 1 hour period'... but again that would depend on the type of workout

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 19:37

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 20:33

Holy hell its expensive though!

I also agree with that. Its mega expensive, but mega good.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is true, but i only work 1 or 2 muscle groups at a time, so by that time fatigue has well and truly set in anyway.

If you were to work every group every session then a 2 hr session would be beneficial but not efficently maximising your gains. Its more of a program to develop muscle tone and burn fat.

If you worked by the principal of many great body builders, esp arnold, 12 reps max, 3 sets and you shouldnt be able to lift any more, if you can drop set. 3 or 4 exercises per muscle group with a few minutes rest in between exercise swaps and it shouldnt take you longer than just over an hour, depending on how much of a social butterfly you are.

Ive read the 1hr figure in many different publications, magazines and supplement propoganda, but you cant always beleive what you read.

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had my first meeting with the trainer today after finally getting back on the case since focusing entirely on my rehab recently.

MAN, she nearly killed me! I think I am going to die, but I feel good. How do you measure "protien" though... like how do I know now much is in a fish? or cup of spinach? or a steak? 'cause I really need to get back on track.

I am at the gym 4 days a week now. 3 leg sessions (rehab) 2 upper body Evil or Very Mad

Quote:

Personal recomendation is MAX's WPI or Horleys Whey Factors for lean mass. Or if you want to bulk up uber quick, MAX's XTG woah! that stuff is potent!

so where do you get this stuff from? Smile
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry i know what im doing, it wasnt a full 2 hours of pumping weights.

at the moment im eating 5 meals a day/ 40 grams of protein per meal. im also trying to eat allmost no saturated fat, but allowing normal amounts of the other fats still.

at the moment using glutamine, bcaa's, proten powder and creatin (although not much creatin)

i allways aim for the muscle group i train to come out a bit sore for atleast the next day or two. building muscle is all about keeping the intensity up
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The man has it down pat!! Very Happy

Rob: Discount Vitamins Chatswood

You wont find anywhere cheaper, hell their sell price is the normal list cost price!
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 20:53

How do you measure "protien" though... like how do I know now much is in a fish? or cup of spinach? or a steak?

on packaged foods there will be a protein count in the nutritional information

with fresh foods there are standard protein amounts depending on the size or weight of the food

you can purchase a calorie counter book which lists nutritional information or there are various sites online that can help

http://www.musclebuilding.info/index.php? has to be one of the better forums and resources around ... here are there nutrional information sources....

http://www.musclebuilding.info/showthread.php?t=12 264

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 10:43]

Backspace
Regular

May 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a question for you fitness/wieghtlifting nuts, i lift weights for my triceps, biceps and some muscles in my shoulders that i dont know the names of.
Question is, i've got stretch marks (i think) on the inside of both arms, now i've been told that you only get stretch marks from lifting weights that are too heavy, however, i havent been doing this (to my knowledge).
So does anyone know how the hell i got this, or if they are infact stratch marks?
And if they are, how not to get them in the futre.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stretch marks occur when your body grows faster than your skin and it tears basically,

lifting weights that are to heavy has nothing to do with it as far as i can see, other than lifting heavier might make you grow quicker,

ive got 12 stretch marks across the middle of my back that run horizontally about 40cm each, it looks like ive been whipped. happened about 4 years ago when i was a rower
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally, I can't stand the gym. Been in a gym about 3 times in my life and have been well and truly bored each time.

Plus the knowledge that it'll make me slower and inflexible is a big no-no.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 21:55

Personally, I can't stand the gym. Been in a gym about 3 times in my life and have been well and truly bored each time.

you know you want more power, just like a car.

and you only get more inflexible if you dont stretch

as for speed, put a heavyweight boxer against a flyweight, not that there slow, or look at sprinters, there massive.....

(i guess im in a disagreeable mood Smile)
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 22:55

Now Nark, if you don't have anything positive to contribute to the thread Razz ........

Im with lang.

Flexibility is a result of stretching. If you wanna be big and flexible pilates or yoga will work wonders in that regard, but its not my cup of tea.

Slower in what respect? I can proabably run faster now, (even though im unfit) and i could before i started because of the extra lower body power.

Sure i dont have fast twitch muscles, but with my frame size i was never going to be gifted with them.

You can be built, fast and flexible. As cheesy as it is, Van Damn would be a good example, if not Chuck Norris. Kick boxers are strong, powerful fast and flexible.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've fought many kickboxers and boxers, none of them seemed very flexible in the way I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ability to react quickly and in certain ways...

Yes, flexibility is in the training and you can train like that, but how many of you guys stretch before and after a workout?

My main problem with the gym is that it'll make you slower. That sort of muscle mass that most people try to attain is all for looks and actually gets in the way of doing things and your speed.

And lang, I'm always up for an argu^Wdiscussion... Wink

[Edit: Spelling mistake]

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 12:22]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 22:21

Yes, flexibility is in the training and you can train like that, but how many of you guys stretch before and after a workout?

When I was doing JKD the training and stretching went for about 30 minutes before and after weight training.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but JKD isn't exacly lifting weights.

All martials arts understand the value of staying flexible. Otherwise, you'd lose all your speed.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stretch after a warmup before every weights session....i still hurt the next day so cooling down hasnt made a difference.

If you continue the same streches that you were doing before the gym i dont see why you would lose flexibility.

I went to the gym initially to trim down, but now building up. I play cricket has improved my batting out of sight (from number 7 to batsmen of the year last season). My bolwing is also markedly improved.

My other goal was building up for rugby union, but the team fell through. So soccer or winter cricket again.

My casual job is shifting boxes, weighing up to 120kg a box. I need the strength.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark, your not talking about flexability, your talking about speed. I think you'll find you can get big and fast. My sensai was fairly large and still the fastest person at our Dojo. He did weights. It's just a matter of doing speed training as well as weight training. You'll find that after doing weight training you feel slower, but that's 'cuz the muscles are all weak and worn out.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find the gym is a good way to get a good body shape although unless you are a very motivated person it is hard for me to keep a regular routine by going a set amount a week.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, for protein, look here:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrient.htm
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musashi LP1 is da shit
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 22:21

I've fought many kickboxers and boxers, none of them seemed very flexible in the way I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ability to react quickly and in certain ways...

My main problem with the gym is that it'll make you slower. That sort of muscle mass that most people try to attain is all for looks and actually gets in the way of doing things and your speed.

And lang, I'm always up for an argu^Wdiscussion... Wink

[Edit: Spelling mistake]

i stretch every day for about 20-30mins, cos i know if i didnt id be waddling around everywhere from being so inflexible. my ain with weightlifting (and the cardio work i do) is to get a body like many of the boxers do. large lean and very powerfull
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 23:33

Nark, your not talking about flexability, your talking about speed. I think you'll find you can get big and fast. My sensai was fairly large and still the fastest person at our Dojo. He did weights. It's just a matter of doing speed training as well as weight training. You'll find that after doing weight training you feel slower, but that's 'cuz the muscles are all weak and worn out.

Quickness in martial arts is a combination of three things:
* physical ability
* muscle memory (that's why you do sets/patterns over and over)
* knowledge

If you look at a lot of good martial artists (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li) you'll see that they're not big and bulky even though they train prolly as much as professional weighlifters/bodybuilders.
Actually, a LOT of martial artists you won't even see much muscle definition until you're an inch from getting your head smashed in. Smile

Oh, and a little disclaimer, when I say "martial arts" I'm talking mainly about the Chinese ones with both Internal and External components, so I'm not talking about Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, et al.

lang wrote on Thu, 11 March 2004 08:39

i stretch every day for about 20-30mins, cos i know if i didnt id be waddling around everywhere from being so inflexible. my ain with weightlifting (and the cardio work i do) is to get a body like many of the boxers do. large lean and very powerfull

All I'm saying is that the amount of muscle bulk that people aim for when going to the gym gets in the way. You can stretch all you like, but you're carrying around a lot of excess muscle that can get in the way of you doing things.

Anyway, this is going way off topic. Sorry for that guys. I think I'll stop now. Or maybe start a new thread.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Wed, 10 March 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 11 March 2004 09:28

All I'm saying is that the amount of muscle bulk that people aim for when going to the gym gets in the way. You can stretch all you like, but you're carrying around a lot of excess muscle that can get in the way of you doing things.

Its not excess muscle if you want it or need it. Cool
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: bodybuilding Thu, 11 March 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark, my Sensai and one of the lead instructors where so very very big and strong, but still very very fast.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: bodybuilding Thu, 11 March 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 11 March 2004 09:28

Quickness in martial arts is a combination of three things:
* physical ability
* muscle memory (that's why you do sets/patterns over and over)
* knowledge

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bodybuilding Thu, 11 March 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only one muscle thats important and it needs top be big ... just ask the girls on this forum

ok shut up now Razz
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: bodybuilding Thu, 11 March 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I go to the gym on a regular basis.. Workouts usually last about 1hr 1.5hrs. But 30min of this is walking/jogging/riding which is 30 - 45minutes. (Cardio) And my weight session usually only last 30min.

I use to take Horleys Creatine monohydrate.. Made a big difference on how much more you could push yourself. But that was a 6week run. 1week of loading.. (Damn loading phase)

Protein is also good. It burns quicker then carbohydrates apparently.

Any of the protein/creatines you use are SUPPLIMENTS and should not replace your meals. Meal replacement isnt the best thing to do.

Also its essential you do some weights and not just cardio as weights boosts metabolism and helps burn calories quicker.

NOTE: If your going to use creatine try and do it in 6 week phases ie 6weeks on and 6weeks off etc etc. Creatine has water retention so once your off it you will shrink slightly from the water loss.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: bodybuilding Thu, 11 March 2004 23:47 Go to previous message
Carbs will burn quicker than protein. In fact only fat is harder to burn than protein, and protein has the same calories per gram as fat. (8cal/gram).

I used creatine for 1 loading phase and its awesome stuff, HOWEVER, if you stop dammmmmmmn, i lost 2kg in 2 days from water retention.

The best method in using creatine effectively is to create an insulin spike with some simple sugars. Ie glucose. The best sugar for this purpose is Dextrose and is found in all these big $$ supplements. If you want to see decent gains, go down to your local "home brewery" DIY beer shop and buy a 1kg pack of Dextrose for about $6-7.

Mix 30g of dextrose with the creatine and that will be the strongest red cordial you'll ever have!!

The increase in sugar creates an insulin spike and acts as a transporter for the creatine to the muscles.

NOTE: This is to be done with care and careful evaluation. After some research excessive doses of sugar can be detrimental to your health, in particular Diabetes. This is why i stopped using this method.

But it does work. You have the info. You have the ability to make the choice. Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:M.I.L.F 4sale
Next Topic:nerdo poll: ATi vs nVida
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:19:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070397853851318 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.