Toymods » Track Talk » Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Sun, 15 February 2004 05:00 Go to next message
Hey,
I was bored, so i jumped on Carpoint and found a 1989 celica sx to check out.. So I drove down and checked it out.. This one had 193,000kms, and it was one of the best condition st-162s i've seen so far.. The paint was bright as ever, the interior was Immaculate, it had a sunroof (factory, 2 way, with buttons up the top not next to the steering wheel), and just the usual 1989 features with full electrics...

I took it for a spin, he was pretty willing to let me go, i just said to him "would u mind if I had a drive??", he just goes, "yeah no problem, i'll just put some fuel in for ya"...

I asked "how long can I go for??" and he said "well take about 30 minutes, if u take longer, i'll just wait for ya, its ok"
He was cool as...

So off I went, sunroof tilted, Stock stereo pumping (which is really decent for its age, dads CS ae92 stereo is sooo tinny...), and windows down... Once i put my foot down, i remembered what made these cars sooo good.. The engine is beautiful... Its never boring, always fun...

But there was a few things wrong with it... The CV joints were gone, wierd noises when u turn a corner. But yeah the timing belt might have needed doing too. one of the belts was making this unusual noise at idle, like a rattling noise...

But yeah after about 20 minutes of st-162 Glory, I realised AC was on... thats the second time i've test drove a car and found out AC was on.. So i turned AC off, and I my Jaw dropped to the seat, I would have been more than happy with the performance of the car with AC, but with it turned off.... WOW... lol Smile

It was very awesome fun, I'm really suprised with the suspension too. it was all stock, but i had no worried going over speed humps at like 35-40kms an hour. it was really smooth and the body held together really well...

I've nearly saved up enough for one, So i'll have a lot more stories to tell, We'll call it the ST-162 Cronicles hahahaha

Thanx for reading my writeup

Regards
Adrian
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Sun, 15 February 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adio.. sweet mate Very Happy Yeah they were supposed to handle great when the came out.. Smile I am watching your progress with much interest and dude....

... hurry the heck up! hahaha nah it's cool Smile
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Sun, 15 February 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Sun, 15 February 2004 22:42

Adio.. sweet mate Very Happy Yeah they were supposed to handle great when the came out.. Smile I am watching your progress with much interest and dude....

... hurry the heck up! hahaha nah it's cool Smile

hahahaha..
Considering the shocks/springs were realitively worn out. it should be a nice improvement..

LOL.... As mentione the book will be out soon "The 1988 Celica SX Cronicles" Will be out shortly hahahahaha..
But damn they are nice cars....
DROOLS!!!

Not long now haha!
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Mon, 16 February 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done mate! im glad to see you liked it! cant wait for you to get ya car! Very Happy
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Mon, 16 February 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just buy 1 and stop dribbling, please ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 17 February 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Tue, 17 February 2004 09:07

Just buy 1 and stop dribbling, please ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

hahhaaha. I read ur message first, and the smily faces hadn't loaded yet, I thought u were being serious LOL!!!!

Laughing Laughing

Damn they good cars...
Trading post comes out in 2 days... I'm aiming for about 3-4 weeks to definitely have it..

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 17 February 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

hahhaaha. I read ur message first, and the smily faces hadn't loaded yet, I thought u were being serious LOL!!!!

I think he was! Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

I don't want to speak to you again till you have a Celica.. Razz Smile Wink
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 17 February 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 17 February 2004 13:27

Quote:

I think he was! Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

I don't want to speak to you again till you have a Celica.. Razz Smile Wink

Oh now that was just cruel Rob...
I think I might get a Suzuki Swift Gti coz u said that to me!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I might even stick with the Cino Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 17 February 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah you do that Mad Mad Razz

infact I recommend a Ford Ka Laughing Laughing Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 17 February 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nahh fuck that rob - a Fiat / niki thing ..

3 cyls of raw " worlds most unreliable car " power ..

Stop being a test pilot and buy the goddamn celica !! Rolling Eyes
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 17 February 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 17 February 2004 22:01

Nahh fuck that rob - a Fiat / niki thing ..

3 cyls of raw " worlds most unreliable car " power ..

Stop being a test pilot and buy the goddamn celica !! Rolling Eyes

Shocked Shocked
I'm still saving for that tiny bit extra necessary, but i'm looking at the moment for one.. So it won't be long, I just don't wanna rush it... I seriously would have considered this one that was selling, maybe not for $6000, but it was relatively neg.. Still a bit too much... I mainly just wanted to check out the differences of the 1989 etc models to the 1986 in terms of just overal condition etc... So far, the 1989 model and a 1986 model one i checked out have been the best condition, overal response from the engines have been identical too.. These were around the <200,000kms range...
But yeah it wasn't just as a Test Drive, I was interested just not at the price, i was hopin to bargin down to yeah about $4500-5000

But yeah...
I'm gonna keep looking, last thing i wanna do is rush it..

Regards
Adrian
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Thu, 19 February 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica? HA! Hopefully my influence is rubbing off enough.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Thu, 19 February 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL
Yeah its slowly working Mike LOL...

Regards
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Sat, 06 March 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4-5k!!!??

Maybe I'm just a good buyer but I bought my first st162 for $1300! An old guy who had no idea. The car had done 320,000km's but I had it for 6mnths and it never had 1 problem Smile Unfortuantly it gave its life whilst I was having fun on a dirt road Sad

I just bought an st162 thats been converted to a 3sgte for only 4,200 Smile

Keep looking, you can do better on that price Wink
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Sat, 06 March 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx man, appreciate it...
Is that ur new car in ur pic??
with the 3sgte??
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Sat, 06 March 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep that it is Smile
just had to spend an hour putting the dash back together to get it through rego. the guy wouldn't pass it with all the wires hanging out!?! bloody waste of time, i aint finished under there yet!
she'll hopefully be getting tuned this week sometime Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Sat, 06 March 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You never see a Celica SX on the underside of $4000 in South Aus... (well maybe every year or so), it's way cheaper to get a car from the eastern states and tow it back to SA...it's just a massive pain in the arse.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 09 March 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey praetor,
Ur car looks beaut...
Whats the 3sgte like???
I wouldn't mind doing the 3sgte one day.. it would be awesome, the reason i'd do a 3sgte instead of getting a gt4 is coz i would wanna keep the car for longer etc... Like when i get my celica sx, i would keep it for ages...
LOL

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Wed, 10 March 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought my 86 sx for $3500 stock standard and sold it for the same about 8 months later and that only had about 150k kms on it.

if you are prepared to wait a gem will pop up, but i missed heaps that were sold the first day they were advertised
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Wed, 10 March 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
Gee thats damn cheap man...
yeah i'm really waiting for that gem to pop up, and be just what i'm after...

It will happen hehehe...

I'm waiting for THE TERMINATOR ST-162 - JUDGEMENT DAY to arrive

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

swumpex
Occasional Poster

July 2003

Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Thu, 11 March 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrmph i just sold an 88 for $2550 ! ......the paint was sun faded but that was the only problem. spent a ridiculous amount of money fixing all the problems when i first bought it (feb last year) but then an offer on a supra that i couldnt refuse came along. advertised it a few times in the trading post, carpoint and sydney media but got zippo calls for it (advertising for $4500). didnt start getting calls until i advertised it for 3k

had just over 205 on it but just before it hit 200 i did the timing belt, new p/s pump, new radiator and all front suspension bushings. all it really needed was a respray and new tyres Very Happy

still, my insurance on it was running out and it was up for rego soonish.......and i have nowhere to park it anymore, so thats why it was soo damn cheap!
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Thu, 11 March 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also just another note my st162 that i sold, the syncros in 3rd were on the way out, had to double clutch and pump the revs to shift down from to 4th to 3rd, and going in if you were giving it some.

but it took me around a month or 2 to sell the car at that price, got heaps of tyre kickers and some stupid offers that were just rediculous
Jt_162
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Fri, 12 March 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi im new to the forums. i paid 4k for my celi when i bought it. i found out later its got a jap spec 3SGE so that made me happy. its got about 270,000 on it and ive spent probably another 3 grand already fixing crap. but i love the car i think they are heaps good i cop a bit of shit with the whole FWD thing though. its good to see so many st162 owners with good lookin cellys!
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 16 March 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my great buy turned out to be not so great. the engine just seized when a bearing went on the bottem end Sad at least now it's getting a genII in it

My first celica was a much better buy - st162 for $1300. Absolutely nothing wrong with it Smile Even had a 3sge
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Wed, 17 March 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob, you sure you couldn't steal the turbo stuff off the old one and use the ecu off your current car etc...?

I acknowlege the differences between the gen 1 and 2, but still.. if your turbo was still getting some oil when your engine seized it *should* be ok?? and the manifolds and stuff..should be fine there too..
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Wed, 17 March 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh "should be" but who knows what crap went through the turbo when the bearing shat itself. I'm getting a genII 3sgte for it now Smile Just debating weather to embark on the learning curve of and engine swap. It'll be very straight forward...but its all mechanical and stuff, not eletrical Wink Anyone feel like teaching me to swap an engine over?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Wed, 17 March 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I personally have never done the turbo 3sge motor swap myself, but I know the g-boxes bolt right up etc..

Could come lend a hand sometime as long as you don't live in like Yagoona or Wherethehell Park or something Very Happy Just grab a manual if you want to do it yourself and it is like playing with lego Smile for big boys Smile serious.

and I dont have too many uni assignements Smile
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 23 March 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i brought mine 2 weeks ago for 3200 with rego and no problems..but the motor is now screwed Sad im thining i might go a jap spec 3sge or the turbo modle..any one have prices on these motors and were to get them from..nice buy praeton pity about the motor tho...good luck dude
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Took ANOTHER ST-162 SX for a Spin!!! hahaha Tue, 30 March 2004 13:13 Go to previous message
SR TWINCAM wrote on Sun, 15 February 2004 16:00

Hey,
I was bored, so i jumped on Carpoint and found a 1989 celica sx to check out.. So I drove down and checked it out.. This one had 193,000kms, and it was one of the best condition st-162s i've seen so far.. The paint was bright as ever, the interior was Immaculate, it had a sunroof (factory, 2 way, with buttons up the top not next to the steering wheel), and just the usual 1989 features with full electrics...

I took it for a spin, he was pretty willing to let me go, i just said to him "would u mind if I had a drive??", he just goes, "yeah no problem, i'll just put some fuel in for ya"...

I asked "how long can I go for??" and he said "well take about 30 minutes, if u take longer, i'll just wait for ya, its ok"
He was cool as...

So off I went, sunroof tilted, Stock stereo pumping (which is really decent for its age, dads CS ae92 stereo is sooo tinny...), and windows down... Once i put my foot down, i remembered what made these cars sooo good.. The engine is beautiful... Its never boring, always fun...

But there was a few things wrong with it... The CV joints were gone, wierd noises when u turn a corner. But yeah the timing belt might have needed doing too. one of the belts was making this unusual noise at idle, like a rattling noise...

But yeah after about 20 minutes of st-162 Glory, I realised AC was on... thats the second time i've test drove a car and found out AC was on.. So i turned AC off, and I my Jaw dropped to the seat, I would have been more than happy with the performance of the car with AC, but with it turned off.... WOW... lol Smile

It was very awesome fun, I'm really suprised with the suspension too. it was all stock, but i had no worried going over speed humps at like 35-40kms an hour. it was really smooth and the body held together really well...

I've nearly saved up enough for one, So i'll have a lot more stories to tell, We'll call it the ST-162 Cronicles hahahaha

Thanx for reading my writeup

Regards
Adrian

Its funny, my ae86 (4age)beat one of these the other night, but they are awesome cars. Isnt the Celice one of the longest models still in production
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Friggen crazy drivers!
Next Topic:Bad luck is everywhere
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 20:54:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077598094940186 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.