Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » st162 TVIS problems?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
st162 TVIS problems? Fri, 12 March 2004 12:36 Go to next message
I think i might have some problems with my TVIS or the ECU anyway. My idle is steady, but all over the joint. Ive set the idle at 750rpm but after driving round and coming to a stop, it idles between 1k and 1500 - Its not my idle settings coz i unplug the fan, warm her up and set them from there. It feels as tho when i brake from hard revs, or at least revs over 2500 it tends to rev high. would this be the TVIS not disengaging? (secondary valves staying open) If so, would this be due to a malfunctioning ECU? any help would be appreciated coz its shitting me and making gear changes annoying, plus its wearing my clutch.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Fri, 12 March 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not your TVIS I can tell you that...I would start looking at vacuum hoses first, the idle vsv is on the back of the t-vis manifold it's very hard to get a good look at.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont suppose you have a photo pointing out which it is?What do i do with this idle vsv?Is it like the normal idle screw?turn to adjust - does it adjust the point at which TVIS kicks in? Ive checked my vaccuum hoses and they all seem to be fine but il check them again.
Thanx
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sticky throttle maybe, when it does it next time give the accelerator a poke and quickly remove your foot to let it spring back.

If it's not that then could be loose hoses holes in hoses etc etc... lots and lots of things, good to start simple though.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are just junctions for vacuum hoses, they are pretty hard to get to because they are pretty much right underneath your intake manifold near the head. Either the hoses will be connected or they won't be.

charliechalk has a good point, I'd check the throttle cable as well and the linkage.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 March 2004 02:37]

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that was the first thing i tried. It never used to do it until i got a whole heap of seals replaced through the engine (crank etc) Could it be something to do with my exhaust?I think my cat is pretty effed and my muffler has one stuffed baffle. Il keep going through the list - Il try that RedEx thing as well - my head could be pretty gummed up.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know exactly what work was done on the car?
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timing belt was changed, camshaft seals (both), oil pump seal, crankshaft seal, distributor O ring, and a new engine mount.
Thats what was done - but its gotten worse since then (1/10/03)

charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your vacuum hoses Smile and radiator hoses. When I changed my engine my idle was 3000rpm+ until i noticed that there was coolant leaking out of a hose haha.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah doesn't sound like anything strictly related to those jobs could screw your car up like it is...you could check the cam timing (it's a bitch to do though) and maybe the crank angle sensor (I can't remember exactly if the 3S-GE has one or not and I could check it in my manual but I'm too tired to move atm).
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive done the coolant hoses - i basically burst them all within a few weeks of each other so ended up replacing the hole lot (except 2 which i couldnt be stuffed getting off, but they're fine) I have a leaking sump but i dont see how that can be affecting it. Oxy sensor? ive checked the TPS and thats fine so im kinda lost. Will just have to check over all of the vacc hoses i guess. Do u know if u can buy them as a whole set from toyota?
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC

I have a similar problem on st162

my car will idle fine... and then out of now where (when stopped) the idle jumps from 1g to 400rpm... up and down... if i fang it hard for a lil it goes away.... but it always returns...

could it be ecu?
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Sat, 08 May 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my old car the idle would sometimes just fall to 400rpm whilst cruising (0-10% throttle) I would just push the clutch, turn the car off, turn it back on and it would be fine. She just needs a reboot every now and then Smile
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Sun, 16 May 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm.. well i know when i changed my coolant in my st162 i forgot to turn the heater on when i was warming it up again and the revs were going up and down. say between 1k and 3k.

also when you adjusted your idle did you clamp one of the hoses. i forget which one it is but you need to do that. you can't just turn the idle screw.

also maybe check the diagsis system and see if any codes are comming up. if one does come up and you fix it you need to pull out the efi fuse to reset the computer.

not sure if any of this will help but its something to consider.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Sun, 16 May 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't spose there is an online 3sge service manual like the 7mgte?

my friend has a 3sge celica with an eratic idle, i told him to check his hoses for leaks, but i would like to check for codes and basically see what else i can do.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Sun, 16 May 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

well i know when i changed my coolant in my st162 i forgot to turn the heater on when i was warming it up again and the revs were going up and down. say between 1k and 3k.

whats the theory behind this? sounds kinda weird...
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 17 May 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did the head/redex clean the thing the other and since then it hasnt been as bad. Ive also raised the idle to about 850-900 rpm so that if it does drop it doesnt sound or feel like im gonna stall. I think ive put it down to leads and points, maybe even my dizzy. Im gonna pull that off and check foe cracks etc and if its stuffed, external coil here i come.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Mon, 17 May 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your car doesn't have points. Its all electronic. Maybe check the rotor button and dizzy cap for wear.

As for changing the coolant. Coolant flows behind the heater box and if you change your coolant you need to turn the heater on so that there's on air where coolant should be in your heater box. I'm not sure why but when i didn't turn on the heater when warming the car up again after changing hte coolant thats what happened. I'm not sure why tho.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Wed, 17 November 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey buddy get ya car electronically tuned i had exact same problem , it turned out someone had put new o2 sensor in car and not been tuned up, so i got it tuned and he said that the air fuel mixture was completely wrong and he fixed it up and now its great :>
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: st162 TVIS problems? Wed, 15 June 2005 10:47 Go to previous message
Thats bullcrap unless your talking about using a aftermarket programmable ECU.

New o2 sensor wouldn't cuase those problems, perhaps reset the ECU and let the ECU relearn engine conditions.
otherwise i think your mechanic is a lying bastard.

By the way my friends celica with the eratic idle is now fixed. Changed the headgasket, also if there is any air pockets on the cooling system it seems the 3sge likes to rev 3000rpm or there abouts until all the air has escaped.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Can a W58 be bolted to a 4AGE??
Next Topic:89 1g-gteu pinout
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:46:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050361156463623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.