Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING"

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Thu, 11 March 2004 14:28 Go to next message
needed plenty of timing (via an apexi S-ITC) especially in the mid range...

wieredest thing????i've had respectable tuners tell me to back off the timing but when i do, the car starts carrying on again??? i advance it and it feels crispy and revvi? the AF mixtures were around 12:1 before i touched anything and i've left the A/F ratio's alone...

so...(i dont know much about timing)... if im leaning the car off, should i be backing out timing...???

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 08:26]

Send a private message to this user    
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed Thu, 11 March 2004 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Huh?

What mods have you done to the motor?

There should be no reason to add timing to get rid of a misfire this side of 600hp!

What you have done just might be a bandaid solution to a underlining problem.

mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed Fri, 12 March 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well nothing much cooler and boost and leaner mixtures via the SAFC (thats right standard exhaust) Smile some one told me these coils split but i dont understand why its not misfiring now (i dont know mush about how timing affects the car
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed Fri, 12 March 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ADDED

wieredest thing???? i've had respectable tuners tell me to back off the timing but when i do, the car starts carrying on again??? i advance it and it feels crispy and revvi? the AF mixtures were around 12:1 before i touched anything and i've left the A/F ratio's alone...

so...(i dont know much about timing)... if im leaning the car off, should i be backing out timing...???
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Fri, 12 March 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You shouldnt be playing with this kinda stuff if you dont know what it effects.
Even thought its a tough 1JZ, youll still kill it pretty quickly if you set up fuel/timing wrong.

Either take it to a good dyno tuner, or do some more reading about fuel ratios, timing, etc.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Fri, 12 March 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its going well *scratch's head* might just leave it as i got it set
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Fri, 12 March 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose you not interested in selling the car are you?
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Sat, 13 March 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'll sell it but for the right price (which is about 17)
completly engineered, big stereo ectectectectect...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Sat, 15 May 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a question Smile

My car used to run on 5 cylinders all the time and it was found to be a clogged injector but my mates jzz30 soarer (just got a big FMIC and 3" exhaust if that helps) makes a popping sound out the exhaust at anything above 5000rpm? Is this a misfire? The car is dead stock except the intercooler, exhaust and an air filter. I didn't think it would backfire with a stock setup so does this sound like a misfire? If so, why would it only do it in the upper rev range? A coil pack dying? I don't know. If anyone knows, please tell Smile
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Sat, 15 May 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris, get your mate to check his spark plugs.
Steer clear of platinums in a modded 1JZ.
Go for some NGK BKR6E plugs gapped to 0.8mm.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Sat, 15 May 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris popping out of the exhaust is usually because it is running lean.

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Sat, 15 May 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris
i assume you had ALL the injectors cleaned . if not jason may be right could be a lean out .

maybe do a fuel flow test too .drop the return line off and run it to a bucket .turn the ignition on until your fuel pump runs . then you should have around 2 litres in 60 secs .
time it so its acurate . any less id check filter first then redo test and if not .whack in a walbro pump (in fact id install a walbro anyway).

if you can pull 2 litres/min without the car running then .youll get a little more with the alternator running. But 2 litres is a rule of thumb for boosted 1j with ic and exhaust

But i have also heard 1js doing this with fouled plugs before so id do as already suggested .
try the bkr6eS the s is for steel dont buy v groove copper plugs .try gapping to 0.7mm

The only other thing as you have already suggested is coil pack but they normally break down under all sorts of load conditions . But its still worth checking

we are definatley not just talking about a boost cut here are we . i realise it would a lot more than just pop .but just wanted to confirm anyay

mx 83 toy

mate i realy wouldnt mess with fuel mixtures and timing unless your on a dyno with a a/f meter up its butt.

as you change timing af ratios can be effected so its all related

as to what mods we have done before . well yes add a little timing and lean of the raios 12:1 sounds fine

but if you must then yes adding small amounts of timing gives good gains particulary to the mid range of a 1j . however your still running factory exhaust and (correct me if im wrong) Cressida fuel pump .

The factory Cressida fuel pump is NOT good enough for a boosted modified 1j i have heard of a few people getting away with them
but they are usually only making moderate horsepower

the flow tests on my old pump . showed only enough fuel for about 150 kw @wheels which was 1.5 lpm

with the safc timing mods and exhaust your likely to get just over 200kw (auto)

So my advice firstly (if you havnt already) install walbro pump)

then open up the exhaust before you do anything else this will give the biggest gain of all

first things first . as soon as you put on the exhaust then youl have to re-tune anyway

Then whack it on the dyno . If you bring up to Newcastle again
you can do it all on scotts dyno and ill tune the Boost controller for you at the same time Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 16 May 2004 00:17]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Sun, 16 May 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks everyone, I will let him know.

His car is running 14psi (according to apexi electronic boost guage) and it doesn't even have twin pipes, just the 3" into twin 2.5" and the intercooler so that is close to boost cut but I thought the boost cut actually acted like when you hit the speed cut and cut power suddenly. Is this correct? I have never done it so I don't know.

Celicamad: I had my injector jump started but my mates car has never run on 5 cylinders before. It is quite possible that he is running those fancy Iridium plugs because he is the type of person that thinks that the more money you spend the better it is Smile

Thanks again.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1JZ misfiring finally fixed -PLEASE JOIN IN "LETS TALK TIMING" Sun, 16 May 2004 05:22 Go to previous message
yeah thats how boost cut feels . iassumed that this wasnt his prob .but just wanted to be sure .

sorry didnt read ur post properly. i gues you just have to to check coil pack . why no fit a set of NGK plugs just to prove this isnt the prob at $3.50 per plug its worth it .

i understand the way your mate thinks . but tell him this regardless of the plug in about 30,000 they lose HEAPS of power . i change plugs every 5,000 klms . just do oil and plugs all at once

1js do some weird shit on plugs . its like the if in doubt thing on a 1j first change plugs then see what happens
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2t/3tg hyrbid
Next Topic:Ignitors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 05:19:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060360431671143 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.