Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 20:37

Damn you keep replying while I'm replying and beating me to it just wait goddamnit! *laughs hard* Okay. Thanks for your help!

So AE92 insert will fit the Corona lower strut? How about the TA22 upper plate? Not sure myself as I've actually never had the struts apart.

I'm not sure if the AE92 insert will fit? I thought he said that coil-overs fromt he AE92 are on his now? Does this mean compatibility with the normal insert?

I'm under the unfluence that the SV21 Camry strut insert might just fit, and be a suitable substitute for a car that is between 25-30 mm lower. ie: a TA22 with springs that bring the car down that much. BUT shit, I can't remember if that was using OEM RT132 strut height...OR cutting it 15mm to fit a TA22 spring satisfactorly.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch, I wasnt complaining about the weight, I was just stating that I have already added to much unsprung weight(read a hilux diff). So I want to reduce unsprung weight as much as possible elsewhere. I think the pug/hilux upgrade is a great bang for buck upgrade, but in my case I dont mind spending a few extra dollars to get something a tad lighter.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1: Then maybe you should keep those 300ZX calipers, they're awesomely huge and really light... The last time I held a pair of them in my hands I coulda sworn the both of them were still lighter than one of my Landcruiser calipers! Well they felt that way anyway... It might make finding wheels a little more difficult, but it'll probably be worth it. For a start I'm fairly certain the Cressida 15's will probably fit over them because they've got a HUGE hat area so no matter how much the calipers stick out from the hub face they should still clear...

And with those coilovers, they are RT132 struts, with AE92 inserts. The outside diameter of both inserts are the same, so you can swap them. The only difference as far as the body of the inserts goes is the AE92 ones are about 66mm shorter, so you'll either have to shorten the strut, or put spacers to make them the same height.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Cool1 and Demuire,
I had my rant hat on when I typed that up and it was not directed at you two specifically. I just want to dispell/debunk a few myths about two things associated with modding Toyota's; one of those is 'heavy' Hilux calipers - yes they are but not as much as you think, especially as you are getting 4 pots and a huge increase in pad swept area, and its bolt on) and 'heavy' Soarer's, gee whiz, at 1600kg+ they are no better or worse than any current model Commode or Falcon. This forum is an excellent way to swap and increase the knowledge banks of all Toyota enthusiasts, and its just that I keep seeing 'heavy hilux calipers' when in fact that is relative and if that is the only trade off in this super cheap and highly effective mod, then its still a no brainer. I am still in awe of how good my brakes are now after doing this mod. BTW, I'm also fitting a Hilux diff to my RA23, and FWIW, the std rear axle complete in a '23 weighs 62kg, the new hilux (still with the 10 inch drums, and a 4.3 LSD, weighs 85kg in total. Gives me a 37% increase in unsprung weight, but for length, lsd, and cost purposes, its the best mod I can afford. I'm not keen to feed new diffs and axles into a T series rear end every time I blow one up or twist them into chinese noodles.
Cheers,
Mitch.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch: I agree with you, I think a lot of us are given the idea that the Hilux calipers are "REALLY heavy" because everyone rants on about it, it's good to see someone actually weigh them and dispell the myths. I still think that the Hilux diff is very heavy for a light little car (37% increase in unsprung weight is a fair bit...) but like you said, it's cheap(ish), strong and has an LSD so it's a bit of a trade off...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats good info actually mitch i didn't really compare the ln130 calipers with the original ones - just they felt heavy and i kinda figured that they were big and heavy but anyways enough of that crap - they will do the job 100% better than what was there and thats the purpose of this thread along with my pitfalls along the way and, knowledge for all to share.

all being well i'll be fitting the other caliper this arvo i rebuilt it lastnight and threw a coat of paint on there, except this one is v2 with new added shim to space out the pads right (thanks mitch on that reminder)...

see how we go i spose. all i need to do is make up my new piece of solid brake line, bleed the master, and, then bleed all 4 and i should have some brakes (not that i'm going anywhere as i don't have rims that fit)

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With you on this demuire.
Someone on this forum more famous that me once said that all modifications are a compromise, between budget, performance and availability (or something like that) and we have to make our choices, deal with it and get onto the next job.
The rear axle had me thinking for 18 months before I decided on it, and I looked at B/W Corona axles, Bluebirds/TRX etc, Ford 9 inches and other stuff before I went the Hilux way.
We just have to accept that with putting more power thru drivelines, and wanting to stop better than standard, an increase in weight is the penatly for the increase in performance, when you have a budget to keep an eye on.
As a 'converted' modder and someone with the thing in place - this brake upgrade is a fabulous mod !
And Grega, you will love the thing once done and you have 4 rims to drive on. You will essentially have the braking system for a 2.5 tonne (when fully laden) 4WD Hilux, for a 980kg Celica, so I reckon that is something like a 150% improvement.
Cheers,
Mitch.
(Still peels his eyeballs off the inside of the windscreen when he hits the skids).
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm.....4 rims and rubber....that would be nice anyone got some spare money they don't want to loan me? darn tax bill.... Sad

ah we'll find a way Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 11 March 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well have some pedal, just need to bleed rears. also need some custom made brake lines as well to suit.

for those who are into bending their own bundy tube, make sure your flares are good and that the pipe after the screw fitting comes out perfectly straight!

aside from that, no leaks. all pistons have pushed up against the pads too - so all good Smile
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 12 March 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW! you guys should be proud of 3 pages, it was a good read.

I wish i had found this forum before i upgrded ( Rolling Eyes ) my brakes. I went to the wrekers and bought some vented discs and calipers of an 80's model Supra, for $220. I made my own caliper mounts out of 6mm steel plate and turned up some bosses so that the bearings would fit inside the hub. There was a bit of mucking around, but i guess it ended up being a cheap upgrade.
Second or third rate compared to you guys though.

I will try to get some pics up if you like.
My old TA22 brakes warped out of shape, so these are a big improvement.
Thanks
Sean.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 12 March 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well they work Smile
MAN do they work FARK do they work

needless to say i have mx73 rims up front which look pox, but, at least the car can move again

i need new brake lines i know that much.

http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/struts032.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 21:29]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 12 March 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
note : will look much better with 195/50/15 series rubber NOT the 205/65/15 you see in that picture there (yuck)

BUT they're good enough to move the old bird around.

next stop : spraypainting.... Smile
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 12 March 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So its all done? Damn that didn't take you long at all!!!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 12 March 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why is everyone saying that? i started this thread 11 jan its now what 12 march - it took forever! (at least it seems that way) Smile
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 12 March 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread needs to be stickied or moved somewhere, like a new section of like the best of the best tech forum threads
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 12 March 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
might be an idea peewee.
Have all the posts laid out and just cut the posts with no relevant information(no offence to anyone) - and call it a tech article. (for those with more time to read)
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 13 March 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm going to write up a tech article dudes and base it on this thread (thats why i've kept this thread up to date) so watch this space...
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 18 November 2004 02:13 Go to previous message
Am watching this space with much interest indeed...
Very Happy
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:driveshaft hub nut HOW?
Next Topic:KE30. 13b bp? sr20det? 3t-gteu?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 03:34:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064840316772461 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.