Toymods » The Outhouse » University quals vs TAFE quals

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
griminir
Regular

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 09 March 2004 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 17:03

you are not the car you drive

you are not your wallet

you are not your gourmet business brunch

you are not your fucking uni degree

you are not your fucking paypacket

*ahem*

i earn 37000 a year and i have completed TAFE only
i work in info tech and currently work at a major ISP

You da man, man. I agree wholeheartedly.
My salary is on par with yours, and I have no degree, no tafe diploma.

I was offered a place at uni but opted not to attend, mainly due to affordability, and I felt that a degree didn't guarantee me a well paid job. My friends that went to uni are now rotting on the dole. I think I made the right decision.
  Send a private message to this user    
GRLTOY
Regular

December 2003
  Creator of Mischief
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 09 March 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 years in and one to go I feel as though I've potentially wasted the last 2 years of my life and am certain, in some way, that I'm going to only benefit from one subject this year.

I was forced into uni, through expectations. Parents dictated my subjects for my senior years at high school and they dictated my degree. Itw as lucky, however, that I had some interest in the degree, even if it was only minor.

Coming out of my degree I'll have a piece of paper, and 3 year old knowledge that will have been surpassed in 2-3 years, if not already. Granted some of the managerial theories and project management will always stay constant, but its trying when you know that in the end you'll probably only be worth a little more than the paper your degree is printed on.

I envy tafers for their constant application and experience, and its a sorry world when people expect uni grads to be of greater intelligence than some of the tafers...I may not be smart in all instances, but there's definately some people at uni that are less intelligent than myself.

That being said. University of Newcastle is well regarded around Australia and also Internationally, so I've got possibility, but not many potential prospects. Although, I don't care how long I'll have to look for it...I'm not working for anything less than 45K Wink
griminir
Regular

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 09 March 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been keeping an eye on the job market, and the sad thing is that I am more frequently seeing adverts for uni-leavers starting at around 25 - 28K. I can't imagine how bitter I would be, having spent time and money at uni to take home maybe $350 - $400 a week. Mad
This is prolly largely dependant on industry, hopefully this isn't the case across the board, but it sure seems like salaries are dropping..
GRLTOY
Regular

December 2003
  Creator of Mischief
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 09 March 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See thats mainly within Australia.
UK still have a high demand for Australian IT grads, but the cost of living over there is rumoured to be somewhat high. For someone who has never left Australia. I don't care for costs. I just wanna get the hell outta here. My potential dudes that would come with me have pretty free-range types of jobs, and one already has an office in London (works for Goldman Sachs JBWere - mulitnational financing corporation) so yeh...If I have to travel to get what I want...so be it...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 10 March 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart. You're a good example of why I didn't do a science degree (I dreamed of being a biologist since I was young).
I didn't want to spend 3-4 years in Uni and come out to drive taxi cabs.

I am the only one amongst all my friends (and even most of their younger siblings) who doesn't have a degree, but I can guaruntee you that I have spent periods of my life where I earnt a whole lot more than any of them, even to this day!

Qualifications have their role, but not having one doesn't stop you from earning.
Being at the right place at the right time is just as good as doing a degree. Smile

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the role you are in, your ambitions and how much hard work you are willing to put in.
Then to get past that earnings level, turn to The Dark Side (management) and learn to arse kiss...
GRLTOY
Regular

December 2003
  Creator of Mischief
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 10 March 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno...

An ex of mine did a double degree, Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology) and fast-tracked a Bachelor of Business with a Diploma in Marketing Research and walked out into a job with one of Australia's leading Pharmaceutical companies earning in excess of 80K

Another example...someone else I know has never been to uni or tafe, he started with a largish security company when he was what...17 and now works for a multinational financing firm as part of corporate security and security risk management and earns in excess of 200K

What qualifications you need and what you're going to be paid are relevant to your field of expertise, but there's no real genuine way of dictating which education is better. I do realise that university degrees are seen by employers as somewhat more desirable over tafe qualifications, but who's to say the end product of each separate education will be better than the other?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 10 March 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and it's not just all about money too.

uni is FUN! Very Happy

well, I like it - and I am not referring to only the *cough* study Smile

Does that make me wierd?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 10 March 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIES

No rob it doesnt Wink
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Fri, 12 March 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think its horses for courses.

But there are crossovers.

I've got a Bachelor of Civil Engineering from Uni, I now earn $45k+, have a company car & phone.
But
I work with a guy who only a month older than me who got a Diploma in Civil Engineering from TAFE. He earns $50k+, also has a company car & phone.

The difference is I have the potential to earn more money as I have a greater knowledge base.

Plus we are in different fields, he's a designer, I'm a builder.

Quote:

Seems that uni trains thinkers, TAFE trains dooers

Sorry, Load of Crap.
I got a project from the above guy which had design plans, sections etc.
I ended up redesigning it on site in my head cause nothing worked, and I used less materials & saved money.

CressidaSupra, not a truer word said
Quote:

engineers have been brought up from a kid to act and think like an engineer, and have always done things hands on
they usually get through uni with very avg results, but when it comes to doing a job, they have a very good concept of what works in the real world.

Quote:

clubagreenie wrote on Wed, 05 November 2003 16:47

PLEASE send me one of these! I will pay good money. I thought they were only in movies and my daughters story books.

i AM one of these, but i dont think u could afford me
it would cost u a lot to move me out of perth

I'm one too. I almost had an enforced semester off because I was failing so many subjects, but now can almost do my job with my eyes closed (I'm a site type engineer)
Plus I'm in Sydney.

If you ever see a whole street ripped up, that's what I do for a living.
And if anyone want's to know how get some roadworks done by your local council, send me a pm, I know all the tricks (as I'm usually the one shooting them down Evil or Very Mad )

Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Fri, 12 March 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 16:04

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the role you are in, your ambitions and how much hard work you are willing to put in. Then to get past that earnings level, turn to The Dark Side (management) and learn to arse kiss...

Well this is what i've learnt from the past couple of years, it doesn't matter how hard you work, it's who you know & how well you kiss arse which gets you ahead.

Felt my boss was kinda, well, stupid. I think she thought I was a threat to her job, in fact she often promoted my ideas as her own to get kudos from upper management.

I knew more than most in my workplace, including those above me with uni degrees. In fact they often came to me for advice regarding systems issues, processes, complicated tax matters etc. Was this knowledge taught to me? NO! I taught myself the basics of the business from the ground up...

But to see people promoted ahead of me for no other reason than the fact they attended every social function, participated in all the office gossip etc while I just wanted to work didn't seem right to me.

/rant...
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Sat, 13 March 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For all those that are arguing which is better, I've got a diploma in Asia-Pacific Marketing from TAFE and I'm currently doing a combined Bachelor of Arts/Business degree at uni, that's just to extend my educational background, it doesn't mean I'm gonna get a top job when I enter the worforce starting off my career, but it should give me a good basis to work with (experience from TAFE working with firms, the diploma and the degree).

Quote:

and it's not just all about money too.

uni is FUN!

well, I like it - and I am not referring to only the *cough* study

Does that make me wierd?

This is how I treated TAFE hahahahah... and uni's hella fun too... all about the social life... now I gotta get down to study heheheh.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 16 March 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im currently doing an Electricians apprenticeship with Energy Australia and it has got to be the way to go, if you want to learn the Electrical trade, its also good if you want to go to uni but don't have the UAI for it.
Im getting paid to study at TAFE, plus i get all my fees paid for. In 2 years i will have finished my Cert III and can do an Advanced Diploma. So when i finish my apprentice ship i will have than and become an Engineering officer, which the base salary is $54,000 and then could go to uni and get my degree also paid for, im not sure if thats what i want to do but just an example.
So apprenticeships are very good, even if you are thinking of uni i would recomend apprenticeships, most are yr12 level now anyway.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 17 March 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
university is not about learning anything relevant to your job, it is about proving that you have the ability to learn and stick with it, plus get the underlying fundamentals all sorted. on leaving uni most workplaces don't expect you to know that much, that's what industry experience is about. i finish my degree in a couple months tho and i'm dreading lookin for a job. a mate finished the same degree last july and is still looking
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 17 March 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will NEVER regret my university education. and would recomend it without hesitation to anyone considering it. is everything in life aimed at securing a job? nope, and neither is uni.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 17 March 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 19:45

IIf you ever see a whole street ripped up, that's what I do for a living.

Well this is what I deal with for a living
http://www.oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/isolator_opening .mpeg

Oh, and the current way I see things is this (yes, it can be wrong in some cases, but for the most part, its fairly accurate)
If you have a Uni degree of value, then you will earn 40k+ and work 40hrs a week (if not 37.5), have a 'relaxing' job, and a comfortable lifestyle.
To do that with a tafe degree, you will earn 30-35k

To earn more than this in either education, you will sacrifice something.
Whether it is your 40hr week (this can go up to 50-70 hrs a week)
Or you will sacrifice your comfortable airconditioned office (for a mine site or what-have-you)
Or your 15-30min trip to work/home (in favour of FIFO or the like)

It basically boils down to being paid for what you do, and what you have to put up with.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 17 March 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 01:01

Oh, and the current way I see things is this (yes, it can be wrong in some cases, but for the most part, its fairly accurate)
If you have a Uni degree of value, then you will earn 40k+ and work 40hrs a week (if not 37.5), have a 'relaxing' job, and a comfortable lifestyle. To do that with a tafe degree, you will earn 30-35k

Ahem... i had a 50k+ package with my TAFE diploma (working 37.5, more like 50+hrs per week), but I chucked it in because of the reasons noted above...

I will be going to uni mid semester, not because I think I need further qualifications but because of the 'expectations' of those around me... Seems like utter bulls**t to me, but oh well, who's gonna employ ya? Better off dead!
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 17 March 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a sidenote... Anyone ever been deemed a 'Security Threat' by their company? Laughing Fact is i'm still employed till mid April, getting full wages & benefits but i'm not allowed onsite!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 18 March 2004 06:19]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 17 March 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Wed, 17 March 2004 22:22

Ahem... i had a 50k+ package with my TAFE diploma (working 37.5, more like 50+hrs per week), but I chucked it in because of the reasons noted above...

What was with "Ahem"?
You backed up my theory with what you wrote.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 17 March 2004 14:36 Go to previous message
Sorry to drag this off topic Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 18 March 2004 06:18]

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Who can provide me with the Solid works... read on.
Next Topic:my car Vs a new Triton??????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:38:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066330432891846 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.