Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How do you stop engine run on!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
azzsaccRA23
Regular

July 2002
How do you stop engine run on! Sat, 24 August 2002 01:25 Go to next message
I just got my 18rgu going and when i turn it off it runs on for like 20 seconds sometimes. How do i stop this?
  Send a private message to this user    
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sat, 24 August 2002 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Book Says:

Adjust ignition timing
Check idle speed, may be too high
Check Fuel/Electrical System
Thermo-Air Cleaner heat Valve not operating properly
Excessive engine operating temperature (Possible causes are Clogged Radiator, Malfunctioning Thermostat, Faulty Water-Pump)

Hope this helps.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sat, 24 August 2002 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run-on is often caused by "hot spots" in the engine, which are a result of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. The best fix for this is to pour water into the inlet while the engine is running at 2-3000 rpm. Works like a charm, it dislodges all the carbon and spits it out the tailpipe, along with heaps of steam! Smile
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sun, 25 August 2002 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh, and just so u know- ITS VERY BAD to let an engine run-on!
If it doesn't stop after up to 5seconds, drop the clutch! Its the only way i've been able to stop my car over the last 9months, and i've had 5 mechanics look over it, changed timing, adjusted idle speed, remapped dizzy and all sorts of stuff. My problem is that its running too high compression, and the only way to fix that is bigger/another head gasket, or change pistons. Anyway...

If u let it keep running on, u may cause a rod to go through u're wall! Then the motor will be NOT HAPPY JAN!

Thanks
Ben
PS- hope u fix it Very Happy
azzsaccRA23
Regular

July 2002
Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sun, 25 August 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, how much water should tip in, could i squirt some in each solex carby throat???
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sun, 25 August 2002 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is your idle speed?

I would first try dropping the idle speed (if possible).

Second, if you can find better fuel (higher octane), often this will stop the run on.

Are the carbs balanced?

If you try the water thing, do not pour too much too quickly.
If you pour too much, you can shorten or break your connecting rods.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sun, 25 August 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When the engine is running at 2-3000 rpm, you'd have to pour in a LOT of water for it to hydraulic lock! Think about the volume of air going through the engine at those speeds. Just make sure the revs don't drop down too far and it will be all good.

Note that the best cure for run-on is EFI! Switch off the ignition and the fuel supply is cut off instantly... engine stops dead. Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sun, 25 August 2002 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
run water injection and carbon buildup is a thing of the past and everything is shiney inside allways!

might not give you much in the way of power on an NA engine but:

*water is free
*listening to your engine run backwards is painfull
*the look on peoples faces when one day you pull the head off and the engine is spotlessly clean inside is priceless

Allan
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you stop engine run on! Sun, 25 August 2002 15:35 Go to previous message
OK, you are making me want to run water through every engine just before rebuild now. Maybe I should leave the engine running when I wash the engine bay, and filters off!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA60 rear shocks
Next Topic:RT142 dash into ST141
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 12:53:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010343074798584 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.