Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Nevo Underdrive Problems?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Nevo Underdrive Problems? Fri, 12 March 2004 12:30 Go to next message
Anyone had problems with excessive heat soak with the underdrive pulleys? Just wondering because the pump would be spinning slower etc etc.
  Send a private message to this user    
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Sat, 13 March 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run a very under-driven water pump and yes the engine was getting too warm when it was being run-in. But I kept a very close eye on it with the Motec real-time and in traffic when it got up around 100degC I'd just turn it off and wait.
I put the stock water pump pulley back on and it was fine. After about a total of 5,000kms of running-in, I put the big NEVO pulley back on and now I almost have trouble getting it warm enough!
It takes nearly twenty minutes to get up into the 80degC region.

So while I am quite happy to recommend using an under-drive pulley, make sure that the engine is run-in first with stock pulleys.
BTW, it was fine on the highway, it just got warm in traffic.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Sat, 13 March 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, while i probably wont go to your size Bill ill be probably using the size lower. The engine has already been run in as its coming straight from my SX into the 86. Well thats what i assume you mean by run in.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Sat, 13 March 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, just the topic I need. Smile
I've been wondering about the effects (if any) of replacing the harmonic balancer/crank pulley with a solid alloy one. How much harmonic balancing does the standard pulley provide, & aren't there any ill effects replacing it with an alloy one?

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion/experience on this topic Bill.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=214950&rid=1627&S=c453a1411a411ccd17e7 42808c1f58f9

Have a look!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey wow, I can't believe I totally missed that thread! Thanks mate! Smile
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Sun, 14 March 2004 02:32

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion/experience on this topic Bill.

I'm going to pull the engine apart in the next few months to try some new pistons in it, and I'll check out the bearing very carefully for signs of vibration damage.
I certainly can't feel any, but that may not mean much.
People that have gone for a ride in the car with that engine have often commented on how smooth it is, so maybe it's not that bad .... Smile

But for a 4AGE I don't think it's a problem at all, unless you're using really high revs.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Mon, 15 March 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which for a track car is a given. As such ill have to think very carefully in the light of this new information.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Tue, 16 March 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A friend of mine has been running one of them in his rally Sprinter for about 6 months now, he pulled the motor down for a 'freshen up' at the beginning of the year and the bearings all looked fine.

He also found the car ran cooler with the underdrive pulley on.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nevo Underdrive Problems? Tue, 16 March 2004 04:39 Go to previous message
takai wrote on Tue, 16 March 2004 08:08

Which for a track car is a given. As such ill have to think very carefully in the light of this new information.

What track car?
It's on my road car! Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:transmission oil cooler
Next Topic:transaxle/diff question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:28:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047709941864014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.