Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
custom intake manifold design Sat, 24 August 2002 08:21 Go to next message
Does anyone know were I can find some information on intake manifold design and theory? I will constructing a carbon fibre intake manifold soon.
  Send a private message to this user    
5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: custom intake manifold design Sat, 24 August 2002 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

At least someone out there is interested in true engine tuning.

Here you are, have fun :

http://www.eng.ed.ac.uk/~jchick/Y5/thesis/FormulaS tudent/public_html/pt7.htm

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: custom intake manifold design Sat, 24 August 2002 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we have just been making carbon trumpet for our sports sedan and the work needed to get them strong and light is hugh. this is for just trumpets. making it out of carbon for a street car well coast you a $1000 in material at the minumum and this would be with little wasteage. it would take you a couple of weeks at minumum in labour this would be with long days. to make plugs and moulds. lots of sanding and bogging{lol} then spraying and glueing. much easier in aluminium.
as to the design, short runners for top end power and longer for midrange. icould work it out if you gave me your combo. if its for forced induction dont worry about bellmouthing the plenum side as its only has gains in normal atmo engine. this is going on a race engine point of view, as it would help a lttle on the street for off boost performace as would longer intake runners.
plenum should be double engine capacity. best setup for throttle-body is a staggered setup with a smaller doing the work down low.
mick
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: custom intake manifold design Sat, 24 August 2002 22:26 Go to previous message
Thanks 5KinKP60 thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. The manifold is for a 3TGTE turbo engine. I actually have a friend who is building a light aircraft from carbon fibre and he will be helping me make the manifold. I can get 1m square sheets of carbon fibre for AU$70 so the cost wont be huge. I have discussed the making of this manifold with him and this is how we will make it.
1) Design manifold shape and size.
2) make metal templates of the plenum ends
3) attach templates to high density foam
4) hot wire cut the foam betweem the metal plates to form a mould
5) lay the fibre and vacuum bag it
6) dissolve the foam away
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I think i got flashed! How can u tell?
Next Topic:RA28 rally car vid
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 22:00:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10062003135681 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.